Cadillac Escalade as a Collectible

i have a black on black 2021 escalade esv premium luxury and this truck is honestly crap and more inferior than superiors compared to the 2000-2006 ones and i kind of regret buying it. the front styling took a hit and the only thing thats better than the last generation is the turn signal. the old escalade had a little orange bulb at the bottom while this has a longish turn signa; bar that doubles as the daytime light other than that the styling of this new one took a hit. the exterior and interior quality is terrible. the corners on the leather seats have like slugs or slag and the stitching is crap. my leather seat mistubishi outlander is much better made.

This truck isnt comfy to drive. seats are flat and hard, no arm rest, stupid small steering wheel and the gas pedal is too sensitive even in comfort mode and gives a fake sport feel which i disdain. the software is convoluted and badly designed and this **** thing lags more than the $40 android phone i got in 2019 as a temporary. I've had it for 11 months and just passed 3k yet my venerable 05 xl denali keeps being the better of the two. I've driven around to get offers but the most I've gotten is 87k but i paid 92k for it and eh i may bite the bullet but my wife just wanted something new and the burb and xl denali were basically the same price. even she doesn't like it but still wants something nice to have in the driveway as the 03 and 05 are looking as tired as they are.

i highly doubt this rolling pile of laggy GM computer crap will ever be a collectible. so many flash nand storage chips everywhere left and right to corrupt. the computers in my old trucks are very very simple and hardly have to keep re writing and used more reliable nand type. this is a monster i don't want to own beyond 10 years.
Man take that cash and run to a Lexus dealer, won't want to get rid of one of their big SUV's ever.....

Those require the cab come off the chassis for serious engine repair/change.
Like the other large Ford guzzlers, that labor cost alone takes these olde pigs off the road far faster when they break in major ways.
Already seeing it with old Powerstrokes & third or fourth owners. They were littering the streets here a few years ago.
Once the major failure occurs in twenty year old three ton barges, it's off to the re-smelter.

It is likely easier and more cost effective to lift the cab off versus pulling the motor and all the labor that is needed for that.

Man take that cash and run to a Lexus dealer, won't want to get rid of one of their big SUV's ever.....
i just wish they and **** Toyota would make a new long wheel base suv because i hate folding seats down and i fill up the seats. i would've bought a sequoia instead if they'd've refreshed it at least aesthetically and not mechanically and also made a long wheelbase too.

Having 5 girls in one alone fills up the back of a lwb in no time and i even had to buy a trailer hitch cargo extension too. i hate the japs for not making a big and less old lwb suv. it was a bit painful to buy a gm product but it also would've been equally painful to buy a very old looking short wheelbase sequoia or lx which looks a bit dated too although wouldn't be crap quality.

The expedition was off the table sine it was already half old and i don't like twin turbo engines over an na ohv. both engines aren't good one has lifter issues and the other has cam phaser and some turbo issues but at least one will be less expensive to fix later on. Both have the same rough 10 speed fard/goofy motors trashcan that pisses me off while driving it.

In summary its the **** Japanese's fault for not making a newer long wheel base suv or i would've bought it instead to replace the aging 05 xl denali which even now is still more solid than my new escalade but dated. Even the 05 suburban's front end design held up much better over time than the Denali's. the denali's front end looks pretty goofy.

Unusually clean examples will hold some value, but I don't see the Escalade ever having particular collector value.

Even before things went crazy, good clean Broncos and K5 Blazers always did pretty well. Now they are selling for well in excess of their new MSRP. I don't see that happening for the Escalade at all.

Jeep CJ and Wranglers have always done well too. I remember back around 2007 a friend was randomly offered $10k for his somewhat modified, but daily drivable 1991 Wrangler. He did not accept the offer, but we all thought it was crazy at the time. He did sell the Jeep several years later, so I don't know where it is now, but in the condition it was in, it would easily go for $20k on Bring A Trailer right now.

Personally, I'm only interested in collecting what I like regardless of value. All the better if it is cheap and attainable. My 2 door Explorer Eddie Bauer is really only collectible to a small number of people, nearly became a trail rig, and it will never be worth much, but to me it may as well be a Mercedes Gullwing or something. 🤣

I have owned 3 cars which could have some level of collectible status:

’57 chevrolet. It definitely made collector status
’97 Miata 5spd. It’s a Miata. They have a following
maybe - the now-discontinued Lexus GS might actually have a chance, but I’ll probably be gone from this world before it gets there.

what makes them collectibles? - is probably the question to ask.

the 57 has beautiful lines. it is a woman’s body. the trim on the rear quarters is the slit in the dress. The dip in the back windows is the pelvis. The fancy fin shape is a high heeled shoe. (The designer admitted it on his deathbed). Driving it, however, is rather unremarkable if not unpleasant compared to new cars. It would be a great experience for anyone, however, to understand how far the tech has come. I think there are people these days who literally couldn’t muster the strength to parallel park it. But it has beautiful lines, memorable.

the miatas are gracefully designed and have amazing handling prowess and are not intimidating to work on. The entry into a purist’s driving experience is a low fee, and the personality behind the wheel is graceful and natural. That makes it memorable.

so many cars do so many things so well, I think it’s harder to look at anything today and predict it as a collectible. The GS has some qualities that would at least set it as one you can appreciate looking back. It has simple lines, is quality built, and great driving characteristics. But it’s not well known at all, so it could be one of those that fly beneath the radar. Front nose styling may blow the complete picture … and as someone else said, the high electronics content wont help it.

not sure if future generations will value vehicles is collectibles, that could be a thing too.

It is likely easier and more cost effective to lift the cab off versus pulling the motor and all the labor that is needed for that.
just pointing out that most people keeping an oldie running on their own won't have a lift ready for that sort of heavy service.
most of the excursions & expeditions & rebadged Lincolns that required that have already disappeared from the roads.
The seventies Ford factory lift hi boys are still out there, because the cab doesn't need to be pulled for drivetrain repair.

To 2EHA: You asked, I'll explain.
"IF these "statusmobiles" shared a significant number of parts with other trucks, thus making them easier to maintain and drive, it'd contribute to "coolenss of ownership".

Since these SUV's are built on truck chasses the pool of potential owners would be larger if they shared MORE parts with actual trucks. Maybe more mechanically inclined guys would become collectors or them. The Escalade could then be a cool, more affordable vehicle to nurse into old age. This builds collectability.
Instead, the glam set tosses them aside (junks them) when they begin to fail. It's sad to see serviceable vehicles go to the grinder.

They're too fancy for many to keep around in less than perfect condition, that's all.

Back