Cadillac Escalade as a Collectible

Shel_B

Site Donor 2023
Over the years, I've owned a couple of Cadillacs, and loved the large, comfortable boats that they were. I used to chuckle each time that I parked my little Mazda GLC next to my '64 DeVille convertible. That little Mazda looked like it would fit in the front seat of the Caddy.

Hemmings Motor News just posted an article about the Escalade that addressed its large size, comfortable cruising experience, and potential collectibility, all aspects of the vehicle that interest me. Maybe you'll enjoy the article as well.

Any Escalade owners here? Your thoughts on the vehicle and the article would be of interest.

People collect lots of things. Doesn't mean it is truly valuable though. Just that someone somewhere might pay more than what market value ought to be (as compared to other similar things, in terms of wear & tear or functionality).

Automotive journo tripe. For something to have value there must be demand for it. Imagine in twenty years when these behemoths are old enough to be collectible that there will be anyone who wants one. Millennials?

Desiderata fantasy.

It's always hard to say what will be collectible in the future. Since they are badge-engineered Suburbans, I don't think they will have the same cache as the 60s Cadillacs, which had a stronger brand identity.
Who would have thought that Volkswagen microbuses, which are so slow they can hardly go up hill at 60 mph, would be selling for $100,000 some day.

Last edited:
You laugh but look at several things.a Ford Pinto brought in over $13,500 at Barrett Jackson a few years back. Ferrari dropped the 6-speed manual transmission from their vehicles. A total of 6-8 Californias being built, the last available. Now manual transmission Ferraris trade at double the money of F1 transmission Ferraris.

The Escalade was far too mass produced to be a real valuable collector vehicle. Look for a Ford Excursion with the 7.3L diesel, that's a collector item.

hqdefault.jpg

There is nothing vintage about an Escalade. Maybe if you were to have the first one made. No offense to any Caddy lovers, I'm not impressed with many of the models. Not speaking Escalade, but many other models seem rather plastic, cheap, and NOT the interior of a lux vehicle.

Having restored a few 60's & 70's cars, the problems I see with most vehicles from about 1990 on is the reliance on computers and digital displays, additionally, many of these cars have tires with odd sizes. When the manufacturers or aftermarket suppliers see a very small market to continue support a very small number of these vehicles, and they suffer failures of any critical component that's unavailable, they become museum displays or lawn ornaments. It's also a generational thing, most millennials I know are only interested in what's new, old stuff is for recycling.

Last edited:
In my mind, a certain amount of plastic, fiberglass, etc and it can never be a collectible. Unless it's maybe something like the Bat Mobile. 😁

They just don't make 'regular' vehicles anymore that I'd ever think would be collectible, but maybe that's what they thought back in 1965? Will a Kia Soul be a collectible one day? Ugh ...

the 1998 lincoln navigator is as historically significant to the history of the SUV as the jeep wagoneer and first gen range rover.

that might be a collectible….eventually

they will be collectable for sure just like the old ones are collectable. New cars are getting cheaper and cheaper and electric boon on the horizon? The 18 CTS-V is in the retirement bank ;-)

Back