Cadillac Upscale Car Sharing Program

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: dishdude
I think $1,500 is a deal. Of course you can find lower cost transportation, but if cars are your hobby, the opportunity to drive something different each month is well worth it.

I agree -- this is a great opportunity for one brand to capture money that some folks are spending already anyway. It's 50 bucks a day to rent anything you want in their portfolio. A drop in the bucket, and a no-brainer for a certain few.

I think it's a brilliant idea.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Something something a fool and his money something something.

$1500/mo on a Caddy? Puh-lease. I wouldn't pay that for two.

There's many fools with that kind of cash to burn on a Chevy.

Please, if you're not important enough don't waste the Cadillac dealer's time. That's what the Chevy is for. You know who you are and this is an exclusive offer, not for everyone. And if you're moving up have some consideration for others and park that other vehicle in the back before entering the showroom.

A $60k Caddy financed at 0% over 60 months = $1000 plus you own it after 5 years. Using reverse math, 5 yrs of making $1500 payments = $90k. Even if you financed a 90k Caddy over that time period you would at least own it after the 5 yrs. Since maintenance and insurance are built into the payment you could always back out 100-150 out of the payment and run the numbers that way.

They need to try something as the main issue they have is missing the Mercedes or BMW badge no matter how good the vehicle is they'll never flip the luxury market.

Originally Posted By: madRiver
They need to try something as the main issue they have is missing the Mercedes or BMW badge no matter how good the vehicle is they'll never flip the luxury market.

Cadillac's main issue is that they don't have anything as good as BMW or Mercedes... Yet they think they can charge equivalent prices and maintain their current dealer experience for sales and service.

Most people that have Cadillacs these days will not keep it past the warranty. They are the ones that purchase every 2-3yrs. I would wonder if I owned a business how this would work in my favor. What type of tax write off it would be? Yes it is expensive for most people but you would have access to all models (6 at the current moment) which include the fun ones ATS-V and CTS-V. It will fit someone's life perfectly will it catch on is another thing. We will have to wait and see what the restrictions will be.

https://www.bookbycadillac.com

Did some research unlimited mileage and the car is delivered to you and if the car you reserved is not available then you will be notified when. Pretty interesting. Look into Maven car sharing its through GM if it hasnt been talked about this one is a hour rate car sharing program.

Last edited:

Cadillac's main issue is that they don't have anything as good as BMW or Mercedes... Yet they think they can charge equivalent prices and maintain their current dealer experience for sales and service.

I think brand and image sells these vehciles. The majority of folks who buy could care less if they are average or extraordinary . That 3 pointed emblem is instant recognition.

I disagree. The ATS-V and CTS-V have been beating BMW and MB at their game according to every road test. Even the regular CTS and ATS are right up there with them. They've come a long way and have better interiors, less costly to own and more reliable.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
I disagree. The ATS-V and CTS-V have been beating BMW and MB at their game according to every road test. Even the regular CTS and ATS are right up there with them. They've come a long way and have better interiors, less costly to own and more reliable.

I'm sorry, but you're wrong. Show me one test that Cadillac won; I'd love to read it. Furthermore, how many Caddilacs to you see on the road? If they were that good people would buy them.

Cadillac is better now than it has ever been, but they're still in the 4th spot, behind the Germans. Even when you calculate cost of ownership and reliability. Depreciation hits Cadillacs harder than the Germans, and they're not as reliable as you think.

I've driven them all, sold and serviced BMW, and serviced VW. The easiest sales I have ever had were when the customers had just come from Cadillac down the street. Car buyers aren't stupid. They don't flock to BMW without driving other cars unless they're on the third or fourth one.

Most of my customers were well educated and had driven everything under the sun. I lost customers to Mercedes but never to Cadillac. I remember we had an event where BMW brought out cars for a comparison. We had a 3 series, X3, and 5 series, a C-class, GLK, and E-class, and an ATS, SRX, and CTS.

We sold BMWs and lost some people to Mercedes that day. Cadillac did not gain any new fans. Could you imagine if Cadillac held a day like this? Me either.

Here's an excerpt from Car and Driver for you regarding the ATS-V, which came in 3rd Place behind the C63 AMG and BMW M3:

"Worse, the Cad’s interior still lacks. The dominant motif, acres of glossy-black plastic, looks cheap and, worse, highlights fingerprints, dust, and dandruff. The randomly arrayed gauges have zero charm and reek of Chevy thrift. Don’t even get us started on CUE, the navigation/infotainment system, units of which should be dropped over ISIS territory to create mass confusion.

There were also complaints endemic to the entire ATS lineup, including a high beltline that pinches the windows, making the Cad feel like a plastic cave. Senior editor Tony Quiroga wrote, “Dear Cadillac, the M3 is proof that glass and a great-looking car are compatible concepts
.”

I couldn't have said it better, and the proof is in the sales.

Midsize Luxury Sedan Sales

Cadillac Struggles to Sell Cars

If you talk handling dynamics the ATS is a class leader. Interiors are very subjective and do not influence every buyer to run to BMW/Mercedes. I rented a base ATS for a month back when they first came out. Even with the N/A 3.6 they are a rocket and the driving experience was among the best I have ever had in ANY car, outstanding handling, braking, acceleration, etc. Lower curb weight, too.

I think it's nothing more than snobbery, a Caddy just doesn't have the snob appeal. Mercedes and BMW have a TON of snobbery built right in for those who must have it that Caddy will never have

Calling owners of BMW and Mercedes ignorant snobs is fairly bold. The cars Cadillac make don't measure up. It's as simple as that, and fairly obvious to anyone that has spent time in all of them and the money to buy them.

Failing to see the shortcomings of an entire brand because you're a "GM Boy" or an "SRT Steve" strikes me as ironic. Maybe you're the ones wearing rose-colored glasses?

Lexus took a foothold in the US market by offering legendary Toyota reliability, a world-class sales and service model, and a product to put the luxury leaders in check. Which of those has Cadillac brought to the table? All they are offering right now is a product that's almost as good as the competition's at a price that's equivalent. Couple that with a Chevrolet-quality dealership experience and you have the recipe for a loser.

To make a sucessful comeback and become "The Standard of the World" once more, Cadillac would have been wise to emulate Lexus. Instead they chose to play a game that they'll never win.

Nothing says 'you made it' in life more than a BMW and Mercedes in your driveway.

I would rather have an IS250 over any Cadillac, it's the styling that turns me off. BMW always has had the nicest interiors and dash. Very functional yet elegant at the same time.

M3 would be the best choice for the $1500 a month.

Calling owners of BMW and Mercedes ignorant snobs is fairly bold. The cars Cadillac make don't measure up. It's as simple as that, and fairly obvious to anyone that has spent time in all of them and the money to buy them.

Failing to see the shortcomings of an entire brand because you're a "GM Boy" or an "SRT Steve" strikes me as ironic. Maybe you're the ones wearing rose-colored glasses?

Lexus took a foothold in the US market by offering legendary Toyota reliability, a world-class sales and service model, and a product to put the luxury leaders in check. Which of those has Cadillac brought to the table? All they are offering right now is a product that's almost as good as the competition's at a price that's equivalent. Couple that with a Chevrolet-quality dealership experience and you have the recipe for a loser.

To make a sucessful comeback and become "The Standard of the World" once more, Cadillac would have been wise to emulate Lexus. Instead they chose to play a game that they'll never win.

You missed it completely. I could make several asinine comments about your "handle" here too so don't tempt me. My comments were directed specifically to the ATS, which I put well over a thousand miles on. I have been motoring in my own cars since 1972, I have personally owned Mercs and BMW's, but not contemporary models. We have many different brands in our driveway, including an 11 year old SRT 300C that still outperforms almost any sedan in its price range. Full 4 door luxury sedan with amazing quiet ride and 180 mph capability. We have it because we shop regularly for new cars, but nothing out there beats the old SRT in our opinion.

Your opinions are just like ours. Opinions. Sales numbers mean great acceptance over a large demographic. By that logic then Chevy wins? "Fairly obvious" doesn't mean a thing to me, as I buy cars for many different reasons. Mostly because they excite me or offer some uniqueness. Cars purchased by everyone are not usually in my stable. And when I was a kid I sold cars, too. That is probably the farthest from an "expert" in car buying as you can get IMO.

Last edited:
Awesome, a '74. I had a friend in college who had a 1974 Cadillac limousine as his daily driver. His dad owned a funeral home and when he bought a new limo for the business he gave the old one to his son for college. Lmao. It was rusted under the vinyl top and got abysmal fuel economy but it was what it was. The thing was enormous both inside and out.

I'd do this for a month or two just so that I could hoon the [censored] out of a V-series.

It would be even better if you could pick up and drop the car off at a dealer, rather than having some yuppie wanna-be bellboy deliver the thing to you. I guess in NYC though that makes sense.

Not for me but i think it is a really cool concept. Any high earning professional who doesn't want to commit to a long term purchase or lease will love this.

Crazy idea: Lease a black escalade and drive it for UberBlack/UberSUV. At $50 a day for your entire non gasoline vehicle expense you could possibly make a lot of money. The rates for upscale Uber are quite upscale.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

If you talk handling dynamics the ATS is a class leader. Interiors are very subjective and do not influence every buyer to run to BMW/Mercedes. I rented a base ATS for a month back when they first came out. Even with the N/A 3.6 they are a rocket and the driving experience was among the best I have ever had in ANY car, outstanding handling, braking, acceleration, etc. Lower curb weight, too.

I think it's nothing more than snobbery, a Caddy just doesn't have the snob appeal. Mercedes and BMW have a TON of snobbery built right in for those who must have it that Caddy will never have

Calling folks snobs because they won't consider it is futile. Caddy lacks the marketing and brand of BMW and MB. Making a superior product is irrelevant in something emotional like car buying. Caddy blew it years ago and I just never can see them regarded in same light by typical buyers of BMW, MB and Lexus for that matter. The customers who care about the make are dying....

Originally Posted By: dareo
Not for me but i think it is a really cool concept. Any high earning professional who doesn't want to commit to a long term purchase or lease will love this.

Crazy idea: Lease a black escalade and drive it for UberBlack/UberSUV. At $50 a day for your entire non gasoline vehicle expense you could possibly make a lot of money. The rates for upscale Uber are quite upscale.

A cab company here charges it's drivers $60 or so per day to rent a cab. Plus the drivers pay for fuel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back