C3 502/505.01 oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by edyvw

As for them punching VIN, is that the reason why they use 5W40 in vehicles that call for VW508.00/509.00?

I thought about that but I bet most cars they don't even check. I'm sure there are lots of technicians that by default just use 502 in gas cars and 504/507 in diesel cars because that's the way they have been doing it for years. We know the oil change guy is usually the apprentice and not the R8 master technician guy.

Originally Posted by Jimmy_Russells
All I am saying is while the car is under warranty, I want to use the recommended oil - That's it. If the car was not in warranty I would not care. My wife's Wrangler has had many OCI without MS-6395 since warranty expired. You can see in my post with the oil recommendations, they were revised in March. So if 502 is now spec'd for the engine, that is fine, but it was not spec'd for the engine back in November/December when the last OCI came around.

If that's your position (warranty), why waste time creating this thread and arguing about when you should of just went with 504.00 oil, which you said is a more stringent specification anyway than 502.00

Originally Posted by UG_Passat
All I am saying is while the car is under warranty, I want to use the recommended oil - That's it. If the car was not in warranty I would not care. My wife's Wrangler has had many OCI without MS-6395 since warranty expired. You can see in my post with the oil recommendations, they were revised in March. So if 502 is now spec'd for the engine, that is fine, but it was not spec'd for the engine back in November/December when the last OCI came around.

If that's your position (warranty), why waste time creating this thread and arguing about when you should of just went with 504.00 oil, which you said is a more stringent specification anyway than 502.00

Just trying to learn the differences between them, is all. I have used 502 spec oil for well over a decade but I had never realized there was a C3 spec 502 until recently. I still don't really know the differences other than the application they fit into. From what I can see the only time you'd really use the C3 version is if you need the 505.01 for PD engines.

Last edited:

Just trying to learn the differences between them, is all. I have used 502 spec oil for well over a decade but I had never realized there was a C3 spec 502 until recently. I still don't really know the differences other than the application they fit into. From what I can see the only time you'd really use the C3 version is if you need the 505.01 for PD engines.

VW502.00 SAPS requirements are lower, so C3 is possible. VW 502.00 was created before C3 was introduced. However, as all other specifications, it is updated regularly as long as VW thinks it is relevant.
Strictly VW502.00 is not interchangeable with VW505.01. However, VW505.01 is interchangeable with VW 502.00.

You would need to use the C3 version if you had a PD engine with DPF.

502.00 has a minimum specification for TBN level.

UG_Passat said:
Jimmy_Russells said:

I don't even think that exists? At least not in North America. DPF's only showed up with common-rail.

UG_Passat said:
Jimmy_Russells said:

I don't even think that exists? At least not in North America. DPF's only showed up with common-rail.

VW505.01 has certain requirements due to Pumpe-Duse system. Still even if you have PD with no DPF, it is good to use it, preferably as heavy as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back