VW 504 Oil Experiment Your Opinion Counts!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: Jeffs2006EvoIX
Because a 40w shearing to a 30w , one thing but 30w to a 20w?

All VW 502/504 approved oils are either light 40-grade or heavy 30-grade, borderline 40. So even if that 30-grade oil shears a bit, it'll still be a 30-grade.

In any case, it's the HT/HS viscosity that's more important than the 100C kinematic viscosity.

Unfortunately only PU posted their HTHS none of the others did. Since they all pass similar certs I am sure they are all very close to each other.

Are the oils I posted group 4 or 5 to anyones knowledge?

I would love to run redline to be honest I love that stuff but with no low to mid SAPS that I know of or VW certs it isn't doable while under warranty. Silly huh?

Last edited:

All VW 502/504 approved oils are either light 40-grade or heavy 30-grade, borderline 40. So even if that 30-grade oil shears a bit, it'll still be a 30-grade.

In any case, it's the HT/HS viscosity that's more important than the 100C kinematic viscosity.

Unfortunately only PU posted their HTHS none of the others did. Since they all pass similar certs I am sure they are all very close to each other.

Are the oils I posted group 4 or 5 to anyones knowledge?

I would love to run redline to be honest I love that stuff but with no low to mid SAPS that I know of or VW certs it isn't doable while under warranty. Silly huh?

Redline has no certifications whatsoever. And likely the best oil you can buy.

What 504.00 certified oil is a 40 weight?

Answer: None. They are all 5w30

Originally Posted By: dparm
Who cares if it shears? VW knows that the oils will thin out a bit with service.

I don't think that is the case with these particular 30w though they seem more shear stable than the 40's.

I guess I'm old school in way not realizing that oil is advancing like the engines.

I never had a car use oil in over 20 yrs but hearing the nightmare stories on the VW sites have made me paranoid. Is why I may be on the cautious side with this car. Some say the TSI is hit and miss on oil consumption which is not acceptable to me. So I'm just being overly cautious.

Jeff

You're old school? I still remember your first post here,which wasn't long ago,and I've seen many since but now you're such an expert you can class yourself as old school.
Sorry man I find it hilarious is all.

And shear is irrelevant as long as it doesn't affect wear. So your entire point is moot.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: UG_Passat

But I wrote 502/504, and not 504 alone, didn't I? Give me a break.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Originally Posted By: dparm
Who cares if it shears? VW knows that the oils will thin out a bit with service.

I don't think that is the case with these particular 30w though they seem more shear stable than the 40's.

I guess I'm old school in way not realizing that oil is advancing like the engines.

I never had a car use oil in over 20 yrs but hearing the nightmare stories on the VW sites have made me paranoid. Is why I may be on the cautious side with this car. Some say the TSI is hit and miss on oil consumption which is not acceptable to me. So I'm just being overly cautious.

Jeff

You're old school? I still remember your first post here,which wasn't long ago,and I've seen many since but now you're such an expert you can class yourself as old school.
Sorry man I find it hilarious is all.

And shear is irrelevant as long as it doesn't affect wear. So your entire point is moot.

You think I was referring to this site? How sad.

Jeff

Why so many jerk offs on this site all of a sudden. Geeze.

You know who you are.

Do not get me wrong, but you are repeating questions, and trying to give answers. You are trying to see if anyone agrees with your beliefs.
This tread and other one are like some teen magazine: I kissed the boy, am I gonna get pregnant?

Originally Posted By: JAG
Jeff, how much oil does your engine consume?

None. But I have not gone more than 3500 miles on oil thus far.

I Changed the factory fill at 1800 miles then put 5w40 PU. 3100 miles later changed the oil. Put in M1 0w40 this oil has 2800 on it now. I want to change at 3k to compare with the PU. see if it shears as bad as the PU did. I wanted to put in a 504 5w30 next.

Last edited:
If it keeps that very low oil consumption rate, the potential benefit of lower sulfated ash VW 504 oils is limited. The only way ash forms is by burning the oil. You may be in luck with your engine. Enjoy the car and don't worry so much about this matter unless the engine burns considerable amounts of oil. My vote is for VW 502 oils for the time-being.

If it keeps that very low oil consumption rate, the potential benefit of lower sulfated ash VW 504 oils is limited. The only way ash forms is by burning the oil. You may be in luck with your engine. Enjoy the car and don't worry so much about this matter unless the engine burns considerable amounts of oil. My vote is for VW 502 oils for the time-being.

Thanks Jag your reply is much appreciated. Would be nice if I could do a poll on this. Haha. Just wanted some advice on which side of the VW fence to be on 502 or 504 and your reply is pro 502 and you said why you felt that way. It's this type of response I was seeking instead of pestimistic sarcasm.

Thanks Jag.

Jeff

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: UG_Passat

But I wrote 502/504, and not 504 alone, didn't I? Give me a break.

there is a difference.

504 meets 502, but a 502 oil does not meet 504.

usually, 502 is associated with 505.00 and 505.01.

Thanks Jag your reply is much appreciated. Would be nice if I could do a poll on this. Haha. Just wanted some advice on which side of the VW fence to be on 502 or 504 and your reply is pro 502 and you said why you felt that way. It's this type of response I was seeking instead of pestimistic sarcasm.

Thanks Jag.

Jeff

Oil is always burned. A good engine only has minute quantities being burned, where a small amount of oil on the cylinder walls is burned where there is still enough residual oil layer on the cylinder walls to prevent the metal on metal wear.

But they do. So that means the 504 oil is superior?

No, they're just different specifications. One cannot claim to be A3/B3 A3/B4 with a TBN in the neighbourhood of 6.5.

This will be my first and only post in this second thread talking about the same stuff.

In the first thread. You asked us what oil should you use. They're plenty of VAG owners on this site. We all gave you good advice from our past experience. I drove home my new 2010 GTI on December 5th, 2009. That's exactly 3 years and 9 months from today. I have 35,624 miles on my car. The majority of those miles is short trips of less then 5 miles to and from work. I had my intake manifold replaced under warranty at 28,000. The tech said my intake valves looked pretty good. If I don't buy a MK7 before I hit 50,000 miles, then I will have the valves cleaned. I used the following oils since I bought the car.

Red line 5W-40
Pentospeed 0W-30
Castrol Syntec 5W-40
Chevron Supreme Synthetic 5W-40
Havoline Synthetic 5W-40
Mobil 1 0W-40

Like I said in the other thread. If you plan on keeping the car past 50,000 miles. You just need to fork over the money to get the intake valves cleaned. From what you have posted. It sounds like you got a new Evo every new generation. So, the GTI will be long gone, replaced with a new toy by the time you hit 50K. Just enjoy your new car, and stop over thinking what oil should be in the crankcase.

So if I wanted to use a non vw approved oil like redline 5w30 would vw have to prove that the non vw approved oil caused a failure? I mean redlinei think is a better oil personally but how do warranty claims work on something like that?

I am most likely just going to stick with the M1 0w40 but Redline would actuator be the one oil I would prefer to use.

Jeff

Last edited:
So if I wanted to use a non vw approved oil like redline 5w30 would vw have to prove that the non vw approved oil caused a failure? I mean redlinei think is a better oil personally but how do warranty claims work on something like that?

I am most likely just going to stick with the M1 0w40 but Redline would actuator be the one oil I would prefer to use.

Jeff

OMG!!!!!!
Now tell me WHY in the world you would use Redline 5W30 if you have bunch of others that are perfectly fine?
Man, start a blog or something!

I'm just curious about the warranty stuff is all. You just can't beat M1 0w40 for the money I'm just curious about warranty and if red line was used.that's all

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back