C&D 2019 RAM DT Long-Term Test

Our trusty ol' Tundra sits a little higher due to the Bilsteins, FJ wheels and 265x70x17 Bridgestones. Mileage is terrible.
I guess this is a little bro truck. Maybe 2nd cousin twice removed? 2WD, V8, 99.9% stock. 200K miles. Kinda dirty...
IMG_20200907_161455.jpg
IMG_20200907_161419.jpg

Last edited:
Subscribing and going to buy some popcorn. Anti-bro dozer buying a bro dozer and being called out - this is BITOG gold!
I purchased a stock truck that had worn out suspension and upgraded it to perform better on road and off. My truck is a pretty weak example of a bro truck. Can we do a "Bro Truck or Not" poll on here? lol

I don't consider a flat straight 40 mile jaunt down a freeway a real test. Even the EPA's automotive test requires the vehicle to come out of overdrive every once in a while. Weak.

Never understood buying a full-size truck and worrying about gas miles, but I don't drive mine daily so I guess it matters.

My last 3/4 ton broke the exhaust manifold bolts. I think that is a big problem with trucks that tow heavy/often. When I picked up my 17 I pulled the stock fasteners and put ARP in. That should prevent it in the future.

My 2017 1 ton 3500HD gasser can get about 14 to 15 MPG empty. This past camping trip, 145 miles, towing 7800 lbs plus a 7800lbs truck. I averaged 9.2 MPG. I'll take it.

Last edited:
I don't consider a flat straight 40 mile jaunt down a freeway a real test. Even the EPA's automotive test requires the vehicle to come out of overdrive every once in a while. Weak.
EPA doesnt even test the vast majority of them, they just take MFG provided numbers. Hence many real world results are above and below EPA. Sometimes the MFG even gets sued about it, hyundai years a
My loop that i offered to do is not flat or straight, and would be 50 miles each way, and would consume over 5 gallons of fuel in my truck. That is enough to get an idea of the efficiency. If i did the same loop in my Alltrack, it would probaby use 3 gallons or less and need a longer test to any accuracy.
Ideally i would like to do a full tank constant speed test but that would take a long time.

My trucks EPA rating, 21 highway. Why such disbelief that it could get 10% more than that stock? 10% less with a modest lift and highway tread tires. Is it really that far fetched for a gen V smallblock with direct injection?
06B116AD-A271-4F77-BAF2-236722C9AAAF.jpeg

Never understood buying a full-size truck and worrying about gas miles, but I don't drive mine daily so I guess it matters.

Right. Day to day it adds up fast. I was only getting 13mpg in the Frontier. :ROFLMAO:

I purchased a stock truck that had worn out suspension and upgraded it to perform better on road and off. My truck is a pretty weak example of a bro truck. Can we do a "Bro Truck or Not" poll on here? lol
Heck, I even wonder what’s a bro dozer or bro truck … there are many lifted trucks here … but I always thought the Stereotypes were lifted diesel LT’s that like to spew soot everywhere …
Blue Oval: what’s considered a breaux dozer out your way, LoL ?

My trucks EPA rating, 21 highway. Why such disbelief that it could get 10% more than that stock? 10% less with a modest lift and highway tread tires. Is it really that far fetched for a gen V smallblock with direct injection?View attachment 28823

I have the same problem. I get 17 - 24.5 mpg with a lifetime average of 20+ mpg out of my 3.5 Ecoboost 4x4 and guys that have different driving conditions and/or a heavy right foot don't want to believe it. I averaged 22 mpg with my old 2.7EB 4x4.

The 6.2L should do pretty well with the proper driver. Even in the much lighter and and slipperier Corvette according to Chevrolet when they tested it with a 5.5L they got no improvement because it didn't maintain 4-Cylinder Mode as much.

I must have some weird one-off hemi Ram.

I've owned my new to me 2019 Ram 1500 SLT classic 4x4, crew cab, hemi since the beginning of July. I've put 8-9 full tanks of gas in it so far and I've yet to get less than ~500 miles out of a ~23gal fillup. ~21.7mpg.

The majority of my mileage is my 80 mile round trip work commute which is almost all highway, but lots of in and around town trips as well. I get on it at least once per trip too. The power is great. Even with the single exhaust, they sound cool. LOL.

Some good numbers guys. The driver does help a lot. I just don't drive large heavy vehicles around fast like many do. A lot of people out there in their big trucks driving like its a miata and that's scary.

I must have some weird one-off hemi Ram.

I've owned my new to me 2019 Ram 1500 SLT classic 4x4, crew cab, hemi since the beginning of July. I've put 8-9 full tanks of gas in it so far and I've yet to get less than ~500 miles out of a ~23gal fillup. ~21.7mpg.

The majority of my mileage is my 80 mile round trip work commute which is almost all highway, but lots of in and around town trips as well. I get on it at least once per trip too. The power is great. Even with the single exhaust, they sound cool. LOL.
You have a 3.21 ram with small tires. That will always enable the best mileage, plus I assume you live in a rural area.

Reactions: JTK
Critic, all 3 apply, although the OD of my oem 17" tire/wheel package isn't much smaller than the factory 20s.
True, but weight and width of the tire will have an impact.

In the Prius world, moving from a 195/65/15 to a 215/45/17 usually resulted in a 5-10% loss.

Reactions: JTK
That's not bad at all since it has 3.92's.. Tundra with the 4.30's hurts...
Also I have 500 pounds extra weight and just under 100 more cubic inches.
If you can get 20 on the hwy. you can't ask for more.

2020 Tundra 4x4 with tow package - just broke 7K miles and I'm now averaging 15.7mpg in mixed driving. For the first 5K it was more like 14.5mpg. For a dinosaur of an engine and transmission, I'll take it!

Tundras get bad mileage for 2 reasons: 1. Not direct injection. 2. High output for 5.7 liters. The quality is worth the fuel bill, at least at 2.50 a gallon.

Tundras get bad mileage for 2 reasons: 1. Not direct injection. 2. High output for 5.7 liters. The quality is worth the fuel bill, at least at 2.50 a gallon.
Don't forget the gearing - 4.30 with the tow package.

Back