C&D 2019 RAM DT Long-Term Test

Highlights:
- Ride quality, passenger comfort, fit/finish and overall driving dynamics continue to be best-in-class.
- Available comfort creatures are arguably best-in-class.
- Fuel Economy continues to be a weak point for the HEMI; they averaged 14 with towing (15 without). C&D's truck was a loaded 4X4 truck with the 3.92 gears though. Lighter trucks with the 3.21 gears would have yielded better fuel economy.
- Infotainment Issues with the UConnect 12” system. The 12" system seems to have gotten better with each software updates but remains an issue for some vehicles. The 8.4” system has been fairly problem-free. Mine has the base 8.4” system and it has been flawless.
- eTorque issues. C&D reported some driveability issues and a indiscernible fuel economy improvement. From the forums and groups I am part of, eTorque reliability is not a common pain point. Lack of effectiveness is a complaint depending on one's driving pattern. There have been a few TSB’s for updated software related to eTorque over the last 12 months with the most recent one being from March. Mine has the latest software installed (verified with WiTech 2.0) and has been fine so far.
- Cracked Exhaust Manifolds. FCA made some revisions to the Exhaust Manifolds and Studs on the 2019+ Ram DT’s. The design is slightly different from the older trucks. The bolt breakage issue is somewhat less common but instead, the manifolds now crack for some unknown reason.

Last edited:
Exhaust manifold issues have historically plagued all the truck manufacturers so this doesn't surprise me.

I'm pretty sure I'm getting better mileage than that despite having the same combo? Strange. I'm averaging 15 right now 100% in-town driving, will get low 20's on the highway.

Exhaust manifold issues have historically plagued all the truck manufacturers so this doesn't surprise me.

I'm pretty sure I'm getting better mileage than that despite having the same combo? Strange. I'm averaging 15 right now 100% in-town driving, will get low 20's on the highway.
I am averaging 16.9 on mine after 2600 miles. 4x2, 3.21, eTorque, 18" wheels. More city than highway driving though and I live in a congested area. Most city tanks are in the 15.5-16.5 range if I drive it normally (and not gently). I have a friend who has a built-to-serve edition (A/T 20" tires) and his is a 4x4, 3.92 and regular V8; he is averaging 13.

My beef is the Ram Hemi sounds so good that the owners get into them too often and that drives down
the mpg. Another beef is many Ram drivers think their hemi is a 426 because they harass every truck on the road.
I have a new Ford I'm driving like Ms. Daisy and there isn't a day where a 1500 Hemi isn't bothering me.
I finally purchased a 7.3L badge from Amazon as Ford doesn't have one thing on the truck to say what it is.
Maybe now they will go away... I doubt it- lol
Don't even get me started on the Chevy guys with the tires sticking two feet off the fenders on all axles... :(

I'm waiting for the 5.3 chevy guys to show up on this thread with their mid-upper 20's mpg pickup trucks.......ahem.....urban legend.
CR's test of the 2020 Silverado 5.3 resulted in 17 mpg overall. This matches their results for the 2019 Ram 1500 4x4 etorque, which was also 17.

I'm waiting for the 5.3 chevy guys to show up on this thread with their mid-upper 20's mpg pickup trucks.......ahem.....urban legend.
Many owners fudge fuel economy but we all know the GM V8s dominate in fuel economy. Say what you like about the rest of the truck, it wins the engine department 100%

I'm doing a straight 15 mpg combined with a Ford F250 7.3L over 845 miles and that's Covid mpg.
Meaning sitting at bank drive thru's , fast food long lines, mixed city and rural and 845 miles is all the truck has on it.
So the hemi is no mpg winner- same as the Tundra. My screen says 7 hours was idling.
I fully expect 20 mpg on a straight hwy trip after broken in.

Oh.......... 3.55's, 10 spd, 18" AT tires, 87 octane, Reg cab 4wd with many options- long bed
AC running high all day
I'm averaging the same as you 100% in-town at the moment, 3.92's with limited slip, crew cab 4x4, 91 octane loaded including panoramic moonroof. The RAM yields better mileage than the Tundra. I can get low 20's on the highway. The RAM gets pretty decent mileage in its current incarnation for a full-sized pick-up.

Many owners fudge fuel economy but we all know the GM V8s dominate in fuel economy. Say what you like about the rest of the truck, it wins the engine department 100%
Actually, we all don't know that GM V8's dominate in fuel economy. Educate us.

Well, every TFL mpg test the GM v8 beats the ram and ford v8 products. My own 6.2 gets great MPG. CKN claims high mpg on his. Many examples of the GM simply getting a little bit more out of each gallon. Is it worth having a GM over the nicer Ram interior or better Ford body? Thats for you to decide.

There are always outliers in any sample. Is your truck 2WD? Single cab? Nice high 3.20 gear? I will believe those high MPG's you cite for a 2016 GMC with those factors applied .If it is a 4wd, extended/crew cab with a 3.50 or lower gear, 2016 GMC than I question your numbers. All of this in the context of 80mph speed limits and driving normally, not for fuel mileage. My Ford diesel would return 16 MPG driven normally. I could get to the low 20's by driving slower than grandma.

My truck is a 4x4 max tow equipped 6.2 liter 2016 model, so it has the big mirrors and lower gears. When it was stock, 23 mpg highway was common. Now its lifted on 35" tall michelins and dropped to 19 highway. The power is also very satisfying. Being able to drive around with no effort at all and light throttle positions is great. I just wish i had this engine, the ford body, and the ram interior all in one truck.

Edit: IT should be noted that the 6.2 fuel economy is accomplished on premium fuel.

Last edited:
IMG-2380.jpg

Thats my truck, adjustable BDS lift with just enough to clear those michelin 35x12.50x20s. It runs dead silent and smooth down the highway. It's got a diamondback hard tonneau cover not sure if thats helping or hurting aero. When i say it gets 19 mpg, it really does, and thats at normal highway limits of 75 mph. If one were to roll down a slow 2 lane of say 50 mph, it could pull that in 4 cylinder mode and average something in the 30s. 40 mph? 35 mpg easily on 4 cylinder. Its the SLT trim but not heavily optioned, no sunroof, just the 6.2, NHT max tow, and the slightly upgraded NAV radio but no bose.

Yes, GM did a manifold redesign for the 2014’s on up. (bolted to new heads)

Exhaust manifolds and head gaskets have been on engines for what about 100 years or so?
And they still have problems with them.
How come?

I have a BIL and a couple coworkers that have equivalent vehicles of near same vintage. I know the BIL gets 15 on average. I will ask my coworkers when I see them. You a betting man? SLC to Rock Springs and back with about 30 miles of in city driving. I'm thinking maybe 16 or so. I could probably make it happen if it was worth my while.

Back