Buying VW still?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have to be kidding right?
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/20/business/energy-environment/bmw-diesel-emissions.html

https://cleantechnica.com/2018/03/28/bmw-being-sued-in-us-for-diesel-vehicle-emissions-cheating/

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...alling-defeat-devices-in-u-s-diesel-cars

I made out like a bandit on my 2015 Passat TDI. i turned it in 2 years and 3 days from date of purchase, with 62k miles and ended up getting all my money back and a little more. So i drove 2 years practically free except for fuel and very little fuel at that as i racked up a dozens 900+ miles tanks. Best vehicle purchase i ever made.

VW has always been a mixed bag. We have nearly 60,000 Volkswagens in our long-term quality study and the overall findings can be summed up pretty easily.

http://www.dashboard-light.com/reports/Volkswagen.html

The smaller the VW is and the fewer the features, the higher the long-term reliability.

Gas 2.0 and 2,5 engines have excellent reliability. The DSG transmission is horrific. Manual transmissions are generally above average. The older Volkswagen automatics are usually only OK if the owner did more transmission drain and fills than is recommended.

The 1.8T really should have synthetic oil and premium fuel. These engines tend to be harder on oil and even though the 1.8T may be OK for a while with regular fuel, the oxygen sensors aren't going to last very long.

TDI engines are not so much about operating costs unless you are a strict DIY guy. Older ones tend to have fewer issues than the newer generation but that's generally true of most diesel engines today due to the stringent emission regulations in North America.

Golf and Rabbit are the top rated models... however this doesn't mean that there aren't plenty of good Volkswagens out there. I do believe these vehicles generally get better care from their owner than the perpetually leased Jetta.

Last edited:
I appreciate VW's chutzpah and initiative and know full well that every manufacturer manipulates things. They just had the misfortune of getting caught.

The last BMW I liked was the E28...I'd ROCK a 528e automatic if I could find a non-rusty one. I might argue that my 17 Jetta is the spiritual successor to the 528e...smallish engine with lots of torque at low RPMs, runs out of breath over 4000 RPM, good gas mileage, austere vinyl interior, big windows, upright seating position. Even the dimensions are similar:
length: 528e 189 inches, Jetta 182 inches.
wheelbase: 528e 103.3 inches, Jetta 104.4 inches
width: 528e 66.9 inches, Jetta 70 inches
weight for each is around 3000 lbs, depnding on model and equipment

Last edited:
Originally Posted by dbias
You have to be kidding right?
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/20/business/energy-environment/bmw-diesel-emissions.html

https://cleantechnica.com/2018/03/28/bmw-being-sued-in-us-for-diesel-vehicle-emissions-cheating/

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...alling-defeat-devices-in-u-s-diesel-cars

I made out like a bandit on my 2015 Passat TDI. i turned it in 2 years and 3 days from date of purchase, with 62k miles and ended up getting all my money back and a little more. So i drove 2 years practically free except for fuel and very little fuel at that as i racked up a dozens 900+ miles tanks. Best vehicle purchase i ever made.

Uh. No. Getting sued is not the same as being proven. If you read the suits and have a decent grasp behind how diesel emissions systems operate during cold start* you'll see it appears to be nothing more than an ambulance chaser trying to cash in. Of course that could change but we'll have to wait and see.

*EGR is closed during cold start so the SCR catalyst will warm up faster. During the warm up phase the engine will produce slightly more NOX.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by jeepman3071
VW diesel cars putting out a bit more emissions than advertised does nothing for me compared to the "offroad tunes" that are on every other diesel pickup truck these days with zero consequences.

A private owner deciding to willfully pollute is a problem for local authorities, not sure which ones..are you? A global car manufacturer deciding to game the emissions testing protocol to sell more cars can't possibly be compared to some bubba rolling coal, (which seems to have run it's course BTW, at least around here).

VW bent the rules, got caught and paid pretty dearly and is moving on. Everyone has a reason for not buying a certain brand. Example: I'll never own a KIA because KIA now and forever means Killed In Action.

Originally Posted by rooflessVW
Who did they fool, aside from the EPA?

As a consumer, I appreciate the fact that they made a very efficient diesel in an affordable package with less complicated emissions equipment.

That was the real win!

Originally Posted by Miller88

As a consumer, I appreciate the fact that they made a very efficient diesel in an affordable package with less complicated emissions equipment.

That was the real win!

Bingo!

OP is just trying to stir the hornet's nest.
BMW (especially the later models) are filled with foolish designs to keep their owners in the service dept.
coffee2.gif

Originally Posted by Lolvoguy
Originally Posted by Miller88

That was the real win!

Bingo!

OP is just trying to stir the hornet's nest.
BMW (especially the later models) are filled with foolish designs to keep their owners in the service dept.
coffee2.gif

BMW = Broke My Wallet

My wife bought a 2018 Tiguan. She is really happy with it and already has 19k on it. I think the lower price the clean simple interior, comfort/driving and relative quiet for her she is happy. She loves the touch screen for radio, cd, Apple Play which was honestly superior to other competitors and simple to use interior. The 29MPG average fuel economy is great considering a paltry 21/27MPG EPA rating.

Consumer Reports recommends it as it made an average reliability. Hopefully it holds together well, bunch of recalls have been done the worst to us is loss of led strip light around the massive power moonroof that served no function but looked nice.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by FordBroncoVWJeta
I want a diesel gate VW even more... They only screwed the EPA...

???

VW lost around $10Billion and any desire to pursue TDIa y longer.

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
Aren't you guys setting yourselves up for a "fool me once shame on your, fool me twice shame on me."?

What are you alluding to? What are they fooling people about this time?

Just wondering why owners of new VW's bought them. For me I'll never own another VW or any product sold under VW Group because their decision to purposely defraud the customer. For me it's not that the emissions were worse than advertised, but that they knew about it and chose to hide it.

I guess your moral convictions dont include GM ignition switch fiasco which killed how many, or Fords exploding Pintos to name two. Get real all have been guilty of some serious stuff over the years..........

VW did not kill anyone with their bad decisions. Many other automakers are guilty of decisions that killed people in the name of saving money.

Not yet but I will soon while a stick is still available on one model. I would not turn in or not buy a VW diesel or gas because of this.

The industry is over regulated. VW basically gave the EPA the finger and I love it. I wanted one before and I still wanted one after, I bought one but thanks to diesel gate cleaned up with some fantastic incentives to boot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back