Buying VW still?

Status
Not open for further replies.
No one should be happy with a manufacturer that flagrantly violates clean air laws while others invest to adhere to it.

Originally Posted by dishdude
No one should be happy with a manufacturer that flagrantly violates clean air laws while others invest to adhere to it.

Hows that 392 Challenger and GTI? /sarcasm

Originally Posted by FordBroncoVWJeta

Hows that 392 Challenger and GTI? /sarcasm

The 392 is an honest polluter, who knows what the GTI is hiding. GTI probably spews out twice the hydrocarbons while generating less than half the power.
lol.gif

From what I have read they nitpicked the details of a unrealistic test and VW had the ecu set up closer for real world conditions. I don't know but the dyno test they ran years ago in many states were anything but real world.
We (the company running the testing program) the state and RMV all knew it.

Originally Posted by FordBroncoVWJeta
I want a diesel gate VW even more... They only screwed the EPA...

Actually the screwed the consumer because VW knowingly sold to the consumer hardware (EGR) which wasn't functioning. The consumer also overpaid because the advertised "Clean Diesel" created higher demand which put a floor on prices.

Originally Posted by Lolvoguy
Originally Posted by Miller88
Originally Posted by rooflessVW
Who did they fool, aside from the EPA?

As a consumer, I appreciate the fact that they made a very efficient diesel in an affordable package with less complicated emissions equipment.

That was the real win!

Bingo!

OP is just trying to stir the hornet's nest.
BMW (especially the later models) are filled with foolish designs to keep their owners in the service dept.
coffee2.gif

I brought this up because I've seen a lot of people driving new VW's and I was curious. So no, I'm not trying to stir a hornets nest.

Originally Posted by dbias
Originally Posted by Lolvoguy
Originally Posted by Miller88
Originally Posted by rooflessVW
Who did they fool, aside from the EPA?

As a consumer, I appreciate the fact that they made a very efficient diesel in an affordable package with less complicated emissions equipment.

That was the real win!

Bingo!

OP is just trying to stir the hornet's nest.
BMW (especially the later models) are filled with foolish designs to keep their owners in the service dept.
coffee2.gif

BMW = Broke My Wallet

Reliability of other makes (BMW) is irrelevant. This has nothing to do with reliability. Try to stay on topic.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by raaizin
Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Aren't you guys setting yourselves up for a "fool me once shame on your, fool me twice shame on me."?

What are you alluding to? What are they fooling people about this time?

Just wondering why owners of new VW's bought them. For me I'll never own another VW or any product sold under VW Group because their decision to purposely defraud the customer. For me it's not that the emissions were worse than advertised, but that they knew about it and chose to hide it.

I guess your moral convictions dont include GM ignition switch fiasco which killed how many, or Fords exploding Pintos to name two. Get real all have been guilty of some serious stuff over the years..........

I was going to mention GM but I'm not familiar with all of the details being that. Same goes with Pinto. In any case it's worth remembering that VW knew they were defrauding the public when they launched their "clean diesels". I don't think Ford and Pinto meets that standards. I don't know about GM.

Originally Posted by Trav

From what I have read they nitpicked the details of a unrealistic test and VW had the ecu set up closer for real world conditions. I don't know but the dyno test they ran years ago in many states were anything but real world.
We (the company running the testing program) the state and RMV all knew it.

VW programmed the ECU to activate the emissions system (EGR) only when it was on the test bed. The ECU did this by reading steering inputs. If the vehicle was running straight (like it would on a test bed) the emissions system would activate.

Originally Posted by spasm3
I'd like to have a diesel gate jetta.

Mine was a giant POS and was lemon lawed BEFORE dieselgate by about 6 mos. Beside this emissions equipment issues I hate, their were so many quality issues with that thing. Cigarette lighter shorted brand new, trunk leaked, HPFP died, DPF clogged 18k miles, intercooler icing.....Thats just the first things I remember. VW didn't want to fix it anymore andI didn't blame them.

I loved the manual transmission, the diesel torque, and the fuel efficiency. I just didnt get to drive it much that first and only year.

So yeah, good luck.

Last edited:
While I do think what they did was pretty bad, just about every company tries to get away with something. I was just listening to a podcast with Gale Banks who said that not long ago basically ALL automakers were caught doing something like this (I think in trucks) and instead of fining anyone it was just a "hey guys, fix it".

Also, It was hard to pass up about $7k off sticker for a GTI. I always liked them, but with a reputation of less than stellar reliability and higher cost of maintenance I was scared. But this massive discount on them was enough to justify it. I'm also glad I jumped on this one when I did, 2017 was the only year for the "sport" model.

Originally Posted by DejaVue
For me I'll never own another VW or any product sold under VW Group because their decision to purposely defraud the customer.

I figured people wouldn't buy them because they break a lot.
cool.gif

Yup! neighbors VW sits on the driveway more than it is driven, always something wrong with it.

Lot of car for the money, especially w/the rebates/incentives. Been most pleased w/my German made 2012 2.5L Golf and I'd consider buying another. BUT, resale value is not so good considering the price for new car and the stigma of "dieselgate." If you're OK w/this and keep cars for a long time, VW is a fine, safe and pleasurable car to drive.

I'll just keep what I got and watch the drama from over here...

35.gif

When I need to get another vehicle it will be another great choice based on years of research, always is above industry standard for reliability. Its in my DNA, I can't have it any other way.

12.gif

I own one, and HAPPY that VW paid the bill, unlike GM back with their first Diesel CAR, 1986?
Yes 56 billon they have paid "VW". So if you Ride My Bumper, Yes the Diesel will kill you and 40,000 other.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back