buying new sportbike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Cujet
Consider the Yamaha FZ-9.

They are being heavily discounted, are an absolute blast to ride and they are light and compact.

I ride an SV1000s, with upright bars, and, if I were to replace my bike, I'd pick an FZ-9.

The FZ-09 is being heavily discounted? That's news to me...

For what reason?

Originally Posted By: john_pifer

They are being heavily discounted, are an absolute blast to ride and they are light and compact.

I ride an SV1000s, with upright bars, and, if I were to replace my bike, I'd pick an FZ-9.

For what reason?

I can't help but think he's thinking of the FZ8 being heavily discounted, since the release of the proving-to-be-popular FZ-09.

Originally Posted By: 02SE

For what reason?

I can't help but think he's thinking of the FZ8 being heavily discounted, since the release of the proving-to-be-popular FZ-09.

Yeah, gotta be. The FZ-09 just came out a few months ago, and I don't think they're having any trouble selling them. Plus, they're already relatively cheap at 8 grand.

I've seen the FZ-09 for $7500. That's not bad at all. There was even a Virgina dealership selling them via eBay for that.

I've seen the FZ-09 for $7500. That's not bad at all. There was even a Virgina dealership selling them via eBay for that.

That's cheap for what you get - a great engine and platform for mods.

Faster sport riders will need to address the suspension shortcomings, and then there's the requisite exhaust, fuel controller/tuner/traction control, etc.

Faster sport riders will need to address the suspension shortcomings, and then there's the requisite exhaust, fuel controller/tuner/traction control, etc.

I find that 100HP at the rear wheel is enough to be 100% satisfying. In fact, that's my magic number. Because the FZ-09 has selectable throttle response, the most aggressive of which is quite responsive, I'd guess that "tuning" won't be a popular option. But, that's just a guess. I like the throttle response it has. Certainly, it has enough power for me, and I like power! I simply don't need a bike that's faster than a 10 second 1/4 mile!

As far as suspension shortcomings, that's something each individual rider will need to address. From what I read, simply changing fork oil and capacity, along with other adjustments really help.

Last edited:

I find that 100HP at the rear wheel is enough to be 100% satisfying. In fact, that's my magic number. Because the FZ-09 has selectable throttle response, the most aggressive of which is quite responsive, I'd guess that "tuning" won't be a popular option. But, that's just a guess. Certainly, it has enough power for me, and I like power! I simply don't need a bike that's faster than a 10 second 1/4 mile!

Well, what I meant was that most people are going to want at least a slip-on exhaust system, to exhibit that beautiful 3-banger exhaust note, and I wouldn't go changing the exhaust without adjusting the fueling to match.

The Bazzaz system with Autotune does a really good job, from the reviews I've read, and their traction control system is supposed to be really good, too.

If I bought one at $7500, I'd go with a full exhaust and the Bazzaz or the PC-V with Autotune and traction control...after I took care of the suspension.

[/quote]

The Bazzaz system with Autotune does a really good job, from the reviews I've read, and their traction control system is supposed to be really good, too.

If I bought one at $7500, I'd go with a full exhaust and the Bazzaz or the PC-V with Autotune and traction control...after I took care of the suspension. [/quote]

The Bazzaz auto tune IMO works better out of the box.

We run both the Bazazz and Powercommander V with auto tune on pretty much all our track bikes or buy kit ECU's for the ones we can.

The PCV does work but if you get it buy the switch for it so you can go back to the base map on the fly.

Originally Posted By: rraiderr

If I bought one at $7500, I'd go with a full exhaust and the Bazzaz or the PC-V with Autotune and traction control...after I took care of the suspension. [/quote]

The Bazzaz auto tune IMO works better out of the box.

We run both the Bazazz and Powercommander V with auto tune on pretty much all our track bikes or buy kit ECU's for the ones we can.

The PCV does work but if you get it buy the switch for it so you can go back to the base map on the fly.[/quote]

Good to know... I've heard the Bazzaz Autotune gets the fueling as good as it can get without putting it on a dyno.

[/quote]

I've heard the Bazzaz Autotune gets the fueling as good as it can get without putting it on a dyno. [/quote]

Yes it does an outstanding job the only issue is it is hard to hit all the RPM ranges and throttle positions on the street. If you can find some quiet space to run the bike up/down in all the gears you can build an awesome map.

The drag strip works, we have gone their to setup some of our track bikes maps, we did not go for low ET instead we tired to hit as many throttle positions shifting up and down to build a solid map.

Don't get me wrong the PCV can build great maps but you need to switch as leaving it on all the time does not seem to work out so well.

well guys i bought a lightly used 2012 FZ6R it had 540 miles on it when i picked it up. I rode it 145 miles home today. Its a nice bike. red/white color combo. it rides very well and is very smooth. I think it will serve me well. I also paid 2800 less than a new one cost! As soon as i got home i changed the oil as it was past the 600mi recommended service point by then. Filled it with M1 10w40 SYN 4T Motorcycle oil.

You will not be disappointed in a Yamaha. They are exceptionally well-engineered, solidly-built, easy to service, and obviously a lot of fun to ride.

I recently made the decision to buy yet another Yamaha YZ-250, even though I already owned 2...

All the abuse I've put my YZs through is a testament to how robust they are. I have run one with low coolant or NO coolant for significant amounts of time in an enduro, I have knocked the pipe totally off the cylinder and finished the race despite debris being thrown up from the front tire and into the exhaust exit... Heck, one time I sucked water into the engine trying to cross a creek that was too deep. I just pushed it to the other side, took the spark plug out, turned it upside down, and turned the back wheel to pump the water out. Fired it back up after a few kicks and kept going.

I didn't have the money for a new top-end right then, so I kept riding it after that until I did.
smile.gif

My point in all that was, Yamaha puts out a quality product.
smile.gif

Got some photos??

Congrats on your new Yamaha, it'll run pristine and handle whatever situation you throw at it, especially on that 145 mile ride! Smart decision on the oil change and the lube used, ride and enjoy!
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back