buying new sportbike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Joe_Power
I hope you have "organ donor" on your drivers liscence. At least it will be one smart decision you've made.

I read this comment, noticed the Harley in your signature, and I find I'm at a loss as to your point?

For the record, I think everyone should have "Organ Donor" on their License.

Last edited:
I hope you have "organ donor" on your drivers liscence. At least it will be one smart decision you've made.

I've seen just as many people spill big bagger Harley's and cruisers as have sports bikes. Usually people who are not used to riding get a bike way too big&heavy or with way too much power for their riding ability.

Buy a bike you can handle and actually ride. If you do that, it does not matter what you get.

Originally Posted By: john_pifer
donnyj08 said:
Also, someone above mentioned that the FZ-6 weighs 470 lbs. That's definitely nothing to brag about... My R1 weighs around 450 and has around 160 RWHP.

Just curious about the weight on your R1 is that dry weight?

just wondering thats all, I have an 06 R1 and dry i think its at about 380 lbs, and the horse is around 135 at the crank. I'm thinking thats why the upped the horsepower from 06 to 07 to compensate for the weight gain etc. unless of course you have some mods done to it.....if thats the case what have you all done? exhaust? power commander?

and good choice of oil in that beast, exactly what I'm running, and I've been thinking of going with a Bosch Filter this next time around.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Robenstein

I've seen just as many people spill big bagger Harley's and cruisers as have sports bikes. Usually people who are not used to riding get a bike way too big&heavy or with way too much power for their riding ability.

Buy a bike you can handle and actually ride. If you do that, it does not matter what you get.

exactly right I feel much more comfortable on my R1 then on either of my father's cruisers. I'm a small guy so i feel much more stable on a lighter bike.

Originally Posted By: Black_Thunder
man If i could buy another sportbike I think I'd go with an FZ8

a guy i know at work has one, really sharp looking bike.
Originally Posted By: Black_Thunder
Originally Posted By: john_pifer
donnyj08 said:
The FZ-8 is just an FZ-1 with reduced stroke to make it an 800. Weighs within a few lbs of an FZ-1. It's always baffled me why anybody would buy on over the FZ-1.

The FZ-09 is a different matter altogether...I love those bikes.

Also, someone above mentioned that the FZ-6 weighs 470 lbs. That's definitely nothing to brag about... My R1 weighs around 450 and has around 160 RWHP.

Just curious about the weight on your R1 is that dry weight?

just wondering thats all, I have an 06 R1 and dry i think its at about 380 lbs, and the horse is around 135 at the crank. I'm thinking thats why the upped the horsepower from 06 to 07 to compensate for the weight gain etc. unless of course you have some mods done to it.....if thats the case what have you all done? exhaust? power commander?

and good choice of oil in that beast, exactly what I'm running, and I've been thinking of going with a Bosch Filter this next time around.

No, that's full-up wet weight. They were 460 from the factory, and I figure I lost around 10 lbs with the full titanium exhaust (Akrapovic/Termignoni hybrid).

The R1 has been rated around 180 at the crank since 2004 when they went to the short-stroke engine. There's little difference in output from 2004-2008. 2009+ lost a bit, thanks to the crossplane crankshaft, and, unfortunately gained some weight, too.

The 04-08 bikes tend to dyno around 150-160 RWHP, and the 09+ is in the 140s.

Never had mine on a dyno, but it has the full race titanium Akra header and Y-pipe, and Termi mufflers, and a Power Commander running a canned map, and a Pipercross air filter. So I figure I'm pushing 160+ RWHP.

Yeah, I have 55,000 miles. The RT6/Bosch combo has worked fine for me. But, due to some UOAs posted here showing some shear with that oil, I'm going to switch to standard Rotella 15-40.

ah thats right I think mine was rated at 170hp at the crank and around 135 at the Rear wheel.

I've also been debating if i should switch to regular rotella, but then again I don't put a major amount of miles on my bike every year.

i guess i'll make the decision next week when i get my bike out to change the oil and get it ready to roll.

If this is going to be your first motorcycle...

DO NOT waste your money.

look for a 2003+ SV650 It's a wonderful bike that will keep you happy for $1500-3000 depending on condition and miles. You can ride it for a year or two and sell it for the SAME Price you bought it for.

If distance riding will be your thing, HD for me is such a pain in the back due to the forward controls found on many of them. However, a Honda 599/919, Yamaha FZ6-7-8-9, or Suzuki Bandit makes for a great sport touring bike that is super comfy.

I personally own a 919 and a GSX_R1000. On the 919, other than no wind protection because it's a full naked bike (can be fixed with a ugly wind screen) it's a bike i can ride all day with ease.

People as with myself, with back issues find relief when riding a full blown sport bike, being leaned over helps with lower back issues, almost like when you ball up on the ground (anyone with lower back issues should know what I'm talking about) Sitting upright on a bike can cause a lot of weight to push down into your lower back causing pain.

People who complain about wrist pain are doing it wrong.
wink.gif

For me.

HD/Standard motorcycle with forward controls, I can last about 30 minutes before I can't take it anymore, again my back is weird.

Sport touring bike with a natural position, I can ride for hours with ease unless my back is really flaring up.

Supersport, my back never bothers me, but when I ride a supersport I almost never let my [censored] touch the seat since I'm putting the bike to use. My knees become the weak link. If I ride it on an easy ride where my butt rarely comes up, the weak link becomes my butt, after a few hours it needs a break.

FTR, almost everyone I know that has crashed on the street has done so when riding with traffic at a normal pace. I personally know more HD riders that have wrecked than superbike riders.

Both bike riders reported that it hurt about the same when you hit the ground. Main difference I've found is most sport guys I know walk away a lot better due to more of them wearing gear. My HD friends always wear the 1/2 helmet, t shirt and jeans, but don't worry because they always wear gloves.

I make fun of them for no gear, and they make fun of me for being a super hero. =)

I guess it all boils down to personal preference. I'm too tall (6'6") to fit comfortably on a sportbike, and have the H-D with fwd controls and a touring seat to minimize pain on long trips (I have a bad back too). BTW the Sportster which rides the best is the Custom for some reason. I have Progressive heavy duty rear shocks on my Harley and they make a difference.

Originally Posted By: jeffie7
If this is going to be your first motorcycle...

DO NOT waste your money.

look for a 2003+ SV650 It's a wonderful bike that will keep you happy for $1500-3000 depending on condition and miles. You can ride it for a year or two and sell it for the SAME Price you bought it for.

If distance riding will be your thing, HD for me is such a pain in the back due to the forward controls found on many of them. However, a Honda 599/919, Yamaha FZ6-7-8-9, or Suzuki Bandit makes for a great sport touring bike that is super comfy.

I personally own a 919 and a GSX_R1000. On the 919, other than no wind protection because it's a full naked bike (can be fixed with a ugly wind screen) it's a bike i can ride all day with ease.

People as with myself, with back issues find relief when riding a full blown sport bike, being leaned over helps with lower back issues, almost like when you ball up on the ground (anyone with lower back issues should know what I'm talking about) Sitting upright on a bike can cause a lot of weight to push down into your lower back causing pain.

People who complain about wrist pain are doing it wrong.
wink.gif

For me.

HD/Standard motorcycle with forward controls, I can last about 30 minutes before I can't take it anymore, again my back is weird.

Sport touring bike with a natural position, I can ride for hours with ease unless my back is really flaring up.

Supersport, my back never bothers me, but when I ride a supersport I almost never let my [censored] touch the seat since I'm putting the bike to use. My knees become the weak link. If I ride it on an easy ride where my butt rarely comes up, the weak link becomes my butt, after a few hours it needs a break.

I agree with almost everything you said here...especially about the SV-650. What a great bike...entertaining for expert or novice.

I loved my 919 - that was my first motorcycle. Highly recommend!

Originally Posted By: 02SE

I read this comment, noticed the Harley in your signature, and I find I'm at a loss as to your point?

I don't think there is a point.

Well well well...just in time!

Sport Rider Magazine just published a great article on the 1999+ Suzuki SV-650!

http://www.sportrider.com/sportbike-ridi...=SOC&dom=fb

BTW, I rode behind a guy for YEARS who had one of the original SVs. Could not stay up with him on a technical road, even though I was riding an R1.

He held it wide open for TENS OF THOUSANDS of miles with no problems!

"It's not the bike...it's the rider."

Originally Posted By: donnyj08
I'm looking to buy a leftover 13 sportbike. I'm looking at a cbr500r Abs, Fz6r, or ninja 650r. I can get any of these new for about the same deal. CBR ABS model- 6710-OTD, FZ6R-6890-OTD, ninja 650r- 6800-OTD. Thoughts?
Really don't think you could go wrong with any of the three bikes. I'm into my 50s and have been ridding for many decades. My current bikes are a Yamaha 1st gen FZ1, Honda 919, Honda CRF 250L and a Yamaha FZ6R.

I would describe the FZ6R as a smooth bike that tracks well going down the road and is predictable. Generally a all around rider friendly bike. I've ridden the 650R and like the styling I just did not care for the extra engine vibration the 650R gives out. Can't really comment on the cbr500r as I have not tried one out yet. It should get some good mileage if you go that route.

If I didn't have short little legs I'd love to own a BMW GS bike or any of the other many wonderful enduro bikes out there.

Other options are a black bird, busa, zx14r all tall person friendly

Originally Posted By: jeffie7
If I didn't have short little legs I'd love to own a BMW GS bike or any of the other many wonderful enduro bikes out there.

I have short legs and ride the F700GS. With factory lowered suspension and factory low seat, it fits me just fine. I think I could have gotten away with regular suspension and low seat as well.

I like the SV650. If you have the taste for a retro bike though and dont want a cruiser I have to plug the Triumphs as well. The standard Bonneville is a great bike with standard controls and a neutral riding position, and if you like the look, a used Thruxton is a nice ride also. It has rearsets like a sport bike. Very mild and reliable bike.

The street triple is also very nice for a naked streetfighter.

Last edited:
Antilock brakes are important to me. What the system is actually doing when you need to be hard on the brakes is it's testing the traction every few inches of pavement and adjusting the braking to that. Wet clean pavement has good traction. Then your tires pass over a wet painted line, and ABS reduces the braking for that moment. Full braking is restored as soon as the tire is back on a good traction surface. Ditto for slick manhole covers, wet leaves, oil spots, etc.

That SV is a good choice for a bike without ABS. Reliable and fun, economical to ride and maintain. I have the same engine in my V-Strom. Another V-strom rider was given a new speedometer by Suzuki when he passed 199,999 miles, as high as the speedometers are made to read. Ordinary maintenance only,no major engine repairs.

Donny, buy the fun, reliable, comfortable bike that puts the biggest smile on your face.

Consider the Yamaha FZ-9.

They are being heavily discounted, are an absolute blast to ride and they are light and compact.

I ride an SV1000s, with upright bars, and, if I were to replace my bike, I'd pick an FZ-9.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back