Buying a Vehicle Out of State

I live in Los Angeles, CA and I've purchased a private party used vehicle in Miami, FL, with a plan to drive it back to LA. How do I register the vehicle and obtain plates/tags for the trip back? After some googling, I think I'm supposed to goto the DMV to get "trip plates", but I have no info beyond that, so I'm pinging the group for details.

These situations vary depending on the individual state. I would check with California DMV.
Thanks, I did that, but I only see information on how to register a vehicle purchased out of state once it is in CA. I'm specifically asking about how to register it/obtain plates and tags in FL to drive it back to LA.

Non-residents also are eligible to secure a temporary license plate for "in-transit" purposes if they purchase a vehicle in Florida and want to drive it back home. However, proof of insurance (from Florida or home state) and sales tax in the amount required by the home state must be paid. If you feel you may be eligible for a temporary license plate, inquire through your local tax collector's office or the regional DMV office (http://www.hsmv.state.fl.us/offices/)that serves your area.

Just note that I paid sales tax when I bought my Mustang in Denver (at a dealership), and they transferred those funds to the DMV in Dallas so I could register my car here.

Looks like Florida will issue you a 30-day in transit tag to ge the vehicle back to your home state. As others have noted, it appears you will have to pay sales tax in order to obtain that tag.

When we bought our new explorer in Illinois, they issued a 30 day tag, and notarized a form that stated the vehicle was not being titled in Illinois so no sales tax was due. We did then have to pay the Tax here when we applied for title...

A few similar previous threads:

I've helped my BIL buy vehicles in the Buffalo NY area a few times and he lives in Kentucky. These were new purchases that involved his trade-in. Like said above, every time the dealer provided him with a temporary registration and he doesn't pay sales tax until he gets home and gets the permanent through his DMV.

CA maybe different but I believe in VA if you purchase a vehicle out of state and paid sales tax then you are relieved from having to pay it a second time but you have to prove that the sales tax was paid.

You should be good to drive with current valid plate, make sure you have bill of sale and signed FL title, and keep that title in safe place. Just don't drive too fast or too slow, go with flow and don't do anything stupid.

Back