Buying a out of state car

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im a california resident who may be purchasing a nevada vehicle. Can someone tell me what forms are required for this to go seamlessly at the california DMV when i try go register the vehicle?

Here is what i believe i need:

-Nevada title(pink slip) of ownership transferred to my name
-Bill of sale REG135
-California Smog certificate
-Nevada registration card

I was told i may need REG 343 https://www.dmv.ca.gov/forms/reg/reg343.htm

Thanks for the help, i have never purchased a out of state car, so im just double checking to ensure everything will go smoothly.

That form is a bureacuratic gold-mine! I live somewhere simpler where I don't need a license to register a car.
lol.gif

I'd start by inquiring if the NV car meets cali smog standards... apparently there's an impact fee if it doesn't.

I think REG 343 is needed for vehicles with more than 7500 miles, for vehicles with less than 7500 miles and do not have California emission control can't be registered.

Originally Posted By: JustinH
The best way would be to call your CA DMV.

+1
when bought my Neon in 2010(I'm in OH, i bought it from my brother in TX), I asked all kinds of folks,and looked all over the internet, and got what amounted to DUUUUUUHHHHHH for answers.
I finally Called the local BMV(in OH we have Bureau, not a Department) and they walked me through the whole process. few days later i went there in person to clear up any last minute confusions I had.
I was Lucky, we don't have any regular saftey inspections/smog checks here. so i just had to have the title signed over to me, and bring it in for an "inspection" at the BMV (check the vin against the paperwork, make sure the lights turns and hazards work)
the only sticky wicket was getting it FROM TX to OH. as the TX plates remain with the owner. Luckily i sold my old car first, and could put my still valid OH plates on it and transfer when i got home.

Originally Posted By: JustinH
The best way would be to call your CA DMV.

I did, thats why im here seeking for someone who had experience with buying an out of state from who resides in CA.

First lady told me i just need title, smog cert, and bill of sale
2nd lady told me i need title, smog cert, and bill of sale and reg 262
3rd person told me i need title, smog cert, reg 343

Ahh the inconsistency....

I friend bought his used/old BMW from Texas, he and his son flew there and drove back to CA. He didn't have much problems registered his BMW.

Yes, you need current registration + bill of sale + smog certificate + brake & light check with Reg343.

I have bought a few cars from AZ. Never a problem as long as you get it smogged and it has 7,500 miles on it. If you need the REG 343 form they will have it for you to fill out. I use AAA and it's a cake walk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back