Private car purchase out of state how to drive home

If you were to purchase a car out of state how would you drive it home lets say 500 miles away. I know I can call insurance and it will be on policy right away but I wont have a tag or inspection sticker. Can I throw on a plate which is currently registered and insured to me.

In my state you can drive with a bill of sale and title signed over as long as you drive it only to home. Then you have 30 days to register it and transfer everything over or they charge you $20 each month you don’t lol.

I think most states give you a grace period to get plates and registration on newvehicles bought out of state. Just google it. But definately keep all your paperwok with you. Also don't switch plates that don't belong on the vehicle because then it looks like your trying to hide something. IMHO beong honest and having the vehicle insured will keep you outof trouble.

It depends on the state that you buy the car in.

For example, Pennsylvania makes it very easy for non-PA residents to buy a car in that state. You can get a temp tag at a private auto tag shop. Some of them are even open on Sunday. You need the PA title, your license, and insurance card. Take this to the tag agency, pay the fee, and you have a 30-day temp tag, and you can drive the car immediately. All you have to do is register the car in your home state when you get back.

What state are you thinking about? Some have temporary plates. But the last time I did it, it was two trips, one to buy the car, use the bill of sale/title to register the car and pick up plates and the second to go get the car slap on the plates and drive it home. Fun 2nd trip, couldn't get anyone to help on short notice so it was a long bus ride, a subway ride, a commuter rail ride, then a taxi ride to pick up the car. Took the whole day, buying the car was easier, drive out there and back, half a day.

Depending on the state, you probably can't just throw on a tag that's not registered to the car. The police do have scanners that basically run tags while they're driving and if it's a completely different car, you might get pulled over.

I dont really have a state it was more of a hypothetical. I am thinking of getting a collector car not sure if I need another and was wondering how to get it home if I went private party route. I havent really found something that has my interest yet. I live in NJ so it would probably within a 500 mile radius or a days drive.

If it's a collector car, maybe you want to keep the mileage down and just have it shipped although it won't be that cheap. A one way UHaul and a trailer would also work, but probably not that much cheaper.

Without knowing the beginning state, ending state and any states in between, only real answer is "it depends".

The only thing I know for sure is you do not put a plate on a vehicle that it does not belong to. That will get you a ticket, and possibly a lot more, up to an including arrested and placed in jail.

I personally would rent a car hauler and go pick it up, but I have a truck to do that with so would not be too expensive. Renting a truck and trailer would be more costly.

Depends on the state. The cover your XXX way is to contact your states DMV with a bill of sale prior to the pick up. I can't answer for all but most states will allow you to register the vehicle with the bill of sale (they want their registration $$, plate $$, sales tax, and your proof of insurance). You should leave DMV with plates and insurance. Temp inspection is anywhere from 10 to 21 days....pick up car and you are covered in all 50 states due to recrprocity.

If you plan on going out of state, inspecting, and then buying...more difficult process.

Depends on the state. In Florida you need temporary tags at the minimum, attaching a tag from another car will get you a court date for “attaching tag not assigned,” a second degree misdemeanor. Ask me how I know.

Now I have a transporter tag for situations like these, along with driving customers’ cars and whatnot.

3CB207F9-1FA3-446C-88A1-467B57D02656.jpeg

(Not my actual tag, example from the state’s website)

Depends on the state. The cover your XXX way is to contact your states DMV with a bill of sale prior to the pick up. I can't answer for all but most states will allow you to register the vehicle with the bill of sale (they want their registration $$, plate $$, sales tax, and your proof of insurance). You should leave DMV with plates and insurance. Temp inspection is anywhere from 10 to 21 days....pick up car and you are covered in all 50 states due to recrprocity.

If you plan on going out of state, inspecting, and then buying...more difficult process.
It really depends on the state, MA doesn't issue temporary plates.

did this almost 11 yrs ago... Late feb. 2010.

My brother lived in DFW at the time, I Sold My 110k Mi 2000 Hyundai Sonata, and paid Said brother $4k for his 54kmi '05 neon.
Buddy and I Flew Down, and drove it the 1100mi home.
being the overly Cautious type, I Emailed the TX DMV, and went down to my local BMV office( it's a Bureau in OH, not a Department...Fancy)

I don't really recall getting much of a response from TX.... but the Ohio Folks, on the other hand, reminded me that In OH, when you sell your vehicle, the Plates stay with YOU, not the vehicle, and, much like when you trade in on a new vehicle, you can just switch your existing plates (provided you have a valid reg) to the new ride, and you have 30 days to switch the reg over, and this would in essence be the same, since I had already sold my existing car before flying down.

when we got down there, had my brother sign over the title, took his plates off, and put mine on, and drove it straight through back to OH.
Didn't even get a glance from the Police anywhere along the way. ( granted in Non-OH States we were extra vigilant to stay within the law and NOT draw attention to ourselves because, if they did run the plates on that '05 Dodge, the Reg would come back on a '00 Hyundai)

seeing as how the Prior owner was My brother, I likely could have Driven it home on his plates, and then sent them back to him (He's a plate Collector), but... what fun would that be...
short version, Check with both states.

I live in NJ and have done personal sales from CA and PA, and have driven both home. I also did a personal sale from IL, but that time the seller drove it to me.

In CA, the plates stay with the car, so I just added insurance, had a bill of sale, and drove on CA plates.

In PA we did the exchange at an auto tag place, and they gave me a paper plate in minutes.

I think the question becomes if you know what car you’re buying. If so, you might be able to get an NJ temp tag in advance, or similarly one in the selling state.

Back