Turo beats old rental companies

So there she is. Large on space, quiet, sling-shotty considering its size and supposed 335hp rating. Looked up 0-60 time and it’s low 5 sec - unexpected.

Blacked out 20 inch wheel and grill look admittedly catchy against the grey body, but not my my cup of tea.

Despite pneumatic springs and adjustable dampers, those 20s feel like leaded shoes: cheaply thumping on bad Los Angeles roads with more frequent then proper reverberations through the body and sometimes unpleasant actual crushing. Even in the most comfortable setting. Meeeahh. In a proper world this car would have 18s. Then it could be piloted at illegal speeds while eating rather horrible LA tarmac.

What I also don’t get is how litteraly 10+ million dollar homes around Beverly Hills and surrounding mountains have traffic jams outside and downtown Detroit pavement quality?

“Live and die in LA, it’s the place to be”? Not sure most people are brave enough to separate marketing vs actual product
IMG_1918.jpeg

IMG_1916.jpeg

IMG_1517.jpeg

Last edited:
Kind of intrusive, no? I think you are wrong. Sounds like a different line of work anyway.

Just in case, that’s an intro line from a song, that everyone knows, right?

I doubt that by a “reasonable person standard” (yes, it’s still subjective, but that’s what courts use) whether one served (or not) in a military is an intrusive question. It’s kind of like asking if one ever played tennis. No?

So there she is. Large on space, quiet, sling-shotty considering its size and supposed 335hp rating. Looked up 0-60 time and it’s low 5 sec - unexpected.

Blacked out 20 inch wheel and grill look admittedly catchy against the grey body, but not my my cup of tea.

Despite pneumatic springs and adjustable dampers, those 20s feel like leaded shoes: cheaply thumping on bad Los Angeles roads with more frequent then proper reverberations through the body and sometimes unpleasant actual crushing. Even in the most comfortable setting. Meeeahh. In a proper world this car would have 18s. Then it could be piloted at illegal speeds while eating rather horrible LA tarmac.

What I also don’t get is how litteraly 10+ million dollar homes around Beverly Hills and surrounding mountains have traffic jams outside and downtown Detroit pavement quality?

“Live and die in LA, it’s the place to be”? Not sure most people are brave enough to separate marketing vs actual product
View attachment 148030
View attachment 148031
View attachment 148038
California has had a very nasty winter. Not snow-but much more rain than they have had in years. Thus the potholes. Standing water will cause potholes-just takes longer than a freeze/thaw cycle.

Just in case, that’s an intro line from a song, that everyone knows, right?

I doubt that by a “reasonable person standard” (yes, it’s still subjective, but that’s what courts use) whether one served (or not) in a military is an intrusive question. It’s kind of like asking if one ever played tennis. No?

You missed my point. Had nothing to do with your wrong guess. It had everything to do with you guessing, and asking his line of work.

You missed my point. Had nothing to do with your wrong guess. It had everything to do with you guessing, and asking his line of work.

I had to make sure I understood you correctly.

From my experience of living in US for many years, across different states, Typically, Americans ask “what do you do” not 2 minutes into the conversation. I always found this and still find off putting because I as understand it, at least in my context, it was to make sure you if it’s worth continue conversation with you for a) can I sell you something (goods, services, my daughter as a babysitter, etc) b) your status matches or is above mine or am I “talking to nobody”. I’m generalizing, but I think you’re getting my point, and you know this country far better than I do.

Overall, more than anywhere else I’m familiar with, in US, you = your job, which I find to be a shallow outlook on person’s worth, but that’s my outsiders opinion.

For the past several years, when I’m at American parties, and “what do you do ?” comes up under above “a” and “b” context, I say with a straight face that “I’m currently on welfare” or “i sell men skin care for a pyramid scheme company”, even though there were - in my opinion - enough clues about my level of education and life experience during the first 5 min of the conversation, it’s funny to see (usually) people start to move away from me as if I’m plagued…. And the some time later, when they learn a bit about me through a host or whomever invited me there, to act is if my joke was good and funny, and they knew it was a joke all along. 😁. I have fun with this. So, asking for one’s line of work, in my experience, is as nonchalant as as saying “hi” to a complete stranger on the street in United States. No?

Anyways, that’s one thing. But, if someone tells me, for example, “I travel the world for free”, in my book (outsider, non American) it’s completely normal to ask a) are a flight attendant/commercial airline pilot, b) you work for a corporate of a hotel chain, c) a similar question. In this case, our colleague says he never rented the car, but has been on 3 different continents. Hence me asking if it was through military (since he did not have to rent the car). This isn’t ancient Sparta where not serving in military was denigrating mark on one’s character, right? Way more people don’t serve in the military than do.

So, could you please - and I mean this sincerely - explain to me how my inquiry, given the context, was intrusive? Thanks

Last edited:
It's awkward

So if I’d just ask “are you able to travel to Haiti, Southern Europe and Middle East with out renting a car because you are/were in the military or something” instead of using an intro line from a well known song, would that be not awkward? And is it awkward or intrusive? 🙂. I’m not trolling, but genuinely want to understand and learn. It’s not my intent to upset someone. Thanks

So if I’d just ask “are you able to travel to Haiti, Southern Europe and Middle East with out renting a car because you are/were in the military or something” instead of using an intro line from a well known song, would that be not awkward? And is it awkward or intrusive? 🙂. I’m not trolling, but genuinely want to understand and learn. It’s not my intent to upset someone. Thanks
Yes maybe something like that I suppose.

California has had a very nasty winter. Not snow-but much more rain than they have had in years. Thus the potholes. Standing water will cause potholes-just takes longer than a freeze/thaw cycle.

I’m visiting Los Anjeles, but I’ve lived here for many years, until 2017. It has always been drab and shabby, including “premium” areas. Yes, the ultra wealthy and sometimes gated communities are a different universe, yet still there are exceptions!! I’m talking about mostly anything under $4-5 million though. Just too many people. Feels like x3 times what the infrastructure was designed for. Roads, were always more or less like that.

Nothing like owning a $10+ million home and to have a traffic jam outside and a broken up road, and no tangible sidewalk. I’ve seen similar picture in Miami. Like being in a cozy bathyscaphe diving into a sewer line. *exaggerated to make a point*

Last edited:
I’m visiting Los Anjeles, but I’ve lived here for many years, until 2017. It has always been drab and shabby, “premium” areas. Yes, the ultra wealthy and sometimes gated communities are a different universe, yet still there are exceptions!! I’m talking about mostly anything under $4-5 million though. Just too many people. Feels like x3 times what the infrastructure was designed for. Roads, were always more or less like that.

Nothing like owning a $10+ million home and to have a traffic jam outside and a broken up road, and no tangible sidewalk. I’ve seen similar picture in Miami. Like being in a cozy bathyscaphe diving into a sewer line. *exaggerated to make a point*
Pretty well summed up. I can say in OC there are some nicer areas in the $2-$3Meg range, but still it's crazy.

View attachment 148030
View attachment 148031
View attachment 148038

So after a week and nearly 1,000 miles I agree with every word of the below post, that I seeked out on 7 series forum, that quotes what a car magazine “What Car” and a forum user said about 7 series (2015-22 body) on 20 inch wheels:
IMG_1626.jpeg

I’ve used Comfort Plus setting form pneumatic springs and dampers and still the car crushed and banged on broken LA roads. Even on a smooth freeway near Paso Robles I could feel ever so slight shimmy described above.

If 20s don’t work on a long wheels base, top shelf lux sedan, with a base price of $90k, riding on air and adjustable dampers — they won’t work on anything.

Caveat: the bimmer had 35 series tires. Perhaps 20 on 45 profile or higher is a workable solution

Last edited:
Back