Buy advice? Low mileage BMW but infrequent oil changes

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't think twice. PPI and a UOA to check for lead.

If there's lead, pay less and do the rod bearings. Even if there's no indication that the rod bearings are bad, pay less and do the rod bearings.

When my BMW went out of warranty I mostly took it to Eurasia. They took good care of my E39.

But we left Edmonton 5 years ago.
Ah, I gotcha.
When I purchased my BMW in Edmonton I received a stack of receipts from a shop that started with a "K"...can't recall the name of it.
I think they eventually changed their name or went out of business from what I'd heard.
I also received a few invoices from Eurasia, but not as many. The car was originally purchased from "Bavaria" motors (still have the original front plate from the dealer).

Speaking of which, I have to replace my stock BMW muffler. Last time it was replaced was sometime in the late 90's o_O

Oil change every 6600 miles isn't bad. But, as put forth by several, there are other things that will be bad.

As I’ve mentioned before, I have owned 12 BMWs since 1983 and I currently own 3, plus my Mini work beater. As all of the BITOG experts(who have yet to sit in a BMW) predicted, I’m currently on my 10th Chapter 7 and I have a dozen Visa cards pegged at their credit limits.
But be that as it may, my son is currently driving my wife’s old E90. The car has been run on BMW 5W-30 or BMW 0W-30 since 2009- with a minimum OCI of 15,000 miles/12 months; here's what it looked like at 108,000 miles:
1471A4CE-B261-4ED1-8351-8BD3AF7CADC2.jpeg

Last edited:
@kschachn. Its a 2002 M3.
FWIW, I bought a 2004 BMW 330Ci a couple of years ago with 27k miles on it. It was fantastic car. No leaks anywhere and I had no issues with it in my short ownership.
An M3 changes the game a little bit. While they are maintenance hungry machines either way, the low mileage will make it worth more. Is it a manual or SMG trans?

I wouldn't take a BMW if it was given to me. Repairs, which will be many, are off the charts expensive, and even if you can do the work yourself, the parts will also be crazy expensive. Run away from this deal.
What are those repairs? Can you enlighten us here who are such fools for driving BMW's, IDK, last 25 years?

An M3 changes the game a little bit. While they are maintenance hungry machines either way, the low mileage will make it worth more. Is it a manual or SMG trans?
The SMG would ruin it for me; I had a chance to buy a gorgeous Velvet Blue E46 M3(it also had some other BMW Individual bits). It was an SMG and the dealer let me take it out for over an hour. I really, REALLY tried to like the SMG but I just couldn’t.

What are those repairs? Can you enlighten us here who are such fools for driving BMW's,

What are those repairs? Can you enlighten us here who are such fools for driving BMW's, IDK, last 25 years?
Some people don't care for Fords...others don't like Chevys...yet others Dodge, etc. etc. Myself? That list includes any and all luxury vehicles. Repairs? Yes, all vehicles need repairs, otherwise there'd be no repair shops, and they're all expensive, but luxury vehicles have always cost more to purchase and maintain.

Some people don't care for Fords...others don't like Chevys...yet others Dodge, etc. etc. Myself? That list includes any and all luxury vehicles. Repairs? Yes, all vehicles need repairs, otherwise there'd be no repair shops, and they're all expensive, but luxury vehicles have always cost more to purchase and maintain.
Yeah but they can be 2x-3x more fun to drive so that makes up for it.

So, while pretending you actually know what you talking about, it turns out you even do not know that cousin's boyfriend's friend who owned BMW.

BMW engineering aside, 6 oil changes in 40,000 miles is not troubling. But also, I am assuming they were evenly spaced over that mileage. So it depends how long some of the intervals were.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back