But What, where?

MolaKule

Staff member
My wife's portable Brother sewing machine arrived today.:cool:

But, but, where's the oil filter and the section in the owner's manual that tells me what SAE/API, etc., etc., oil is to be used?

What are the specifications?

Where's the list of approved oils?

What Grade? Should I use special EV lubes or just good ole SuperTech 0W16 from Walmart shelves?

I'm stressed as I cannot find any mention of "oil" or "Lubrication."

Oh me.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
In her climate, I’d recommend Mobile1 0w16…..:rolleyes:

but only if she plans on sewing on the front porch in January……:D

Find something in it to put a drop on, anything that moves.

1698977405773.jpg

Slicktalk, the Blackstone labs podcast had an episode where they reviewed a UOA on barber chair hydraulic fluid (raises or lowers with a footpedal).

"Modern sewing machines don't require lubrication. "

Interesting. I've just started repairing old all-metal machines and wondering how new ones get away without oiling. Did they start using sealed bearings?

Interesting. I've just started repairing old all-metal machines and wondering how new ones get away without oiling. Did they start using sealed bearings?
I have no clue but I haven't found any sealed bearings in them. I guess the manufacturers figure they won't get much use. My wife can wear out a WM cheapy Brother in 1-2 years.

I have no clue but I haven't found any sealed bearings in them. I guess the manufacturers figure they won't get much use. My wife can wear out a WM cheapy Brother in 1-2 years.

How long does it take to wear out a machine like that if it's lubricated...

things that make you go hmm...

Have you considered rescuing some pre-'China free trade disaster' , pre-digital all metal sewing machines?

I only just started rescuing them and acquired a dozen the first six weeks.

If you like high quality useful mechanical gadgets ( typical BITOG member?) you may get bit by the bug, *hard*.

I guess the manufacturers figure they won't get much use.
dysfunctional thinking on their part, whatever they are thinking.

Sewing machines are a paradox. They are at the same time an invasive and an endangered species.

Their numbers must be controlled with ruthless culling by rehoming the machines to resourceful diligent young people and teaching their new stewards the basics of sewing.

That will ensure the machines bond with their new family and protect them from predators like rust, solidified lubricants, and the evil 'upcyclers'. These are unscrupulous fools who turn valuable treadles into furniture, then throw away the machines or turn them into lamps or toys.

dysfunctional thinking on their part, whatever they are thinking.

Sewing machines are a paradox. They are at the same time an invasive species ( like tribbles, not wild pigs) and an endangered species ( like bison at one time: useful but unappreciated).

Their numbers must be controlled with ruthless culling and rehoming the machines to resourceful diligent young people.

Teaching their new stewards the basics of sewing will ensure the machines bond with their new family and protect them from predators like rust, solidified lubricants, and the
the deluded 'upcyclers'.

upcyclers
are tragically confused souls who turn valuable treadles into furniture,
who turn valuable treadles into furniture, then throw away the machines or turn them into lamps or toys.

How long does it take to wear out a machine like that if it's lubricated...

things that make you go hmm...
I have gone through several machines she has collected from the 50's and 60's. She collects only all metal ones. Still going strong and running smooth.

I won't work on plastic junk except the cheap WM throw-a-ways she buys. I clean and lube them regardless of being lube free.

Back