Burned

So I guess you could say this is a ... Saab story ... I'm just kidding. If you touched the actual cat and not a heat shield I bet that was an eye opener.

The worst I've done is burning myself on the exhaust heat shield that wrapped around the oil filter on my WRX. Had the filter full of oil and jerked when I touched the shield, sloshed oil all over the exhaust... good times.

Wearing a long sleeved cotton shirt is a good idea. Any time that I’m working on my cars or mower, I wear a long sleeve shirt. They also help prevent minor cuts and scratches. Always button the sleeves.

One hint is to immediately put any burned area under a cold running tap for a few minutes. The burn process appears to go on for a few minutes after the burn event. So stopping the burn process with cold water reduces the severity.

I had several patients who, as children, pulled a hot water pot down onto their "overalls style of jumper". They still had scars on their chest in the exact shape of the jumper.

My daughter did the same thing with a bowl of hot soup. I picked her up and held her under the cold tap for about 5 minutes. There was lots of wailing and complaining but no burn and no scar.

Where are pictures of the burn?
D96D822E-3E29-414A-B609-69872DB95987.jpeg

changing oil on my 99 Saab 9-3 hit my wrist on the catalytic converter which is right next to the oil pan/ drain plug. nice 2nd degree burn. maybe I should change the oil cold next time instead of letting it warm up for 10 minutes LOL
or just wear a long sleeved shirt next time.

Back