Buick Regal for my 16 yoa daughter

Status
Not open for further replies.
My daughter just turned 16 and I bought her a 2014 Buick Regal. I know many people my age have forgotten about the Regal, but I gotta tell ya'll it is an amazing car by anyone's standards. It has the 2.0 turbo engine which is surprisingly stout. Pulls hard through every gear and puts a big smile on your face when you drive it. Fit and finish is as close to perfect as I've ever seen. Fuel economy is great safety ratings are very high and it is roomy considering it's size. The design is great looking inside and out. Comfy and very quite on the hwy and zips around town like a sports car. The very best part is that I paid $14k for this car. It had 25k miles and still smells new inside. It's hard loaded, leather, power everything, Nav, etc.. For anybody looking for a vehicle, don't write Buick off your list. GM did their homework on this vehicle.

It's funny, I'm old enough to remember when Buick and Oldsmobile were the poor man's Cadillac! My sister has a Buick crossover (I forget which one) and it's nice inside. Glad you're happy with your purchase, hopefully your 16 YO is just as happy.

That's a great deal. Where did you buy it from, Buick dealer, private party, used car lot, etc.? The ones like the OP described go for $23-24k around here.

Last edited:
It's a better buy used thankfully you did that. It's in top 10 cars with most depreciation (31%) in first year. Another similar model but fancier is Caddy Ats that depreciates similarly.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
That's a great deal. Where did you buy it from, Buick dealer, private party, used car lot, etc.?

I'm in far north Texas and right across the Oklahoma border is a town called Ardmore. It was at a Ford dealership (Billingsley Ford). They were great to work with.

Originally Posted By: madRiver
It's a better buy used thankfully you did that. It's in top 10 cars with most depreciation (31%) in first year. Another similar model but fancier is Caddy Ats that depreciates similarly.

When figuring resale value and depreciation a lot of people just go by the window sticker price and not actual selling price which is important because foreign cars routinely sell at or very close to sticker, whereas domestics tend knock off quite q bit from window sticker. Yeah, it sells for less in 2017, but chances are it originally sold for much less. I'm not saying you did that, I'm just saying I've seen many people do that very thing and it's apples to oranges. We definitely got a good deal. The original sticker was $30k.

Maybe because that area is known for big trucks. Were they asking a much higher price then knocked it down quite a bit?

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Maybe because that area is known for big trucks. Were they asking a much higher price then knocked it down quite a bit?

The Ford dealer was originally asking $14,700. I offered them $14k even and they agreed. After looking at a ton of these cars, I knew that was a great deal. It was apparent that the dealership got into that car right, cause you know they made money. The original owners of the car are who traded it (for a new Lincoln) and they left most of their original paperwork in the glovebox. I can't see what they paid but the car is immaculate, they took great care of it.

My first car was a 94 cougar with 300k miles that my dad traded a lawn mower for
frown.gif

Thats a heck of a car for the money. If I was 16 I would be on cloud 9 with that. My first car was a 1990 ford econoline. I dubbed it the E150 GT.

16YO, a car only 3 years old and 14k. I'm sure she is responsible, based on your decision and investment, and I hope as well that you have had "the talk" with her. You know, the one about texting and driving, and putting on makeup and driving, and playing with the ICE and driving.... basically if you are driving, that's all you are doing, including being distracted by her other young friends while riding with her.
Nice ride BTW, good choice.

Originally Posted By: turboseize
Isn't the Buick Regal a rebadged Opel Insignia? Not a bad car then, not at all.

Not exactly. It is based on it, but I they don't share powertrains. Even though GM owns Opel, it appears they are selling it off later this year, so I don't know what the future of the Regal will be. Buick is debuting an all new Regal for 2018, but I don't think I like it as much as this 2014.

Originally Posted By: beanoil
16YO, a car only 3 years old and 14k. I'm sure she is responsible, based on your decision and investment, and I hope as well that you have had "the talk" with her. You know, the one about texting and driving, and putting on makeup and driving, and playing with the ICE and driving.... basically if you are driving, that's all you are doing, including being distracted by her other young friends while riding with her.
Nice ride BTW, good choice.

Yeah man, thankfully my daughter (middle child with brothers on both sides) is quite an anomaly. She is the most driven, goal oriented child I've ever seen and is quite amazing at everything she does. As hard as this kid works we really felt like she deserved a really nice car. I know it sounds cliche, but I really don't have to worry too much about her decision making...thankfully (her brothers are a much different story).

My wife and I test drove a new 2014 Regal with the 2.0 turbo. We had purchased the Frontier just three months earlier and the plan was to get my wife a car and me take over the Frontier. We both liked the car very much, but my wife didn't want to give up the Frontier after I added a hard tonneau cover to it. And I wasn't wanting a car. That's how I ended up with the Sierra.

My Dad use to tell me if you are going to buy a car buy a Buick. His favorite was the LeSabre.

I was at the Buick dealer last weekend and couldn't believe how few new cars they had in stock. Most of the new vehicles were suvs. This is a newer dealership located along a major highway. I just looked at their inventory online. They have 162 suvs in stock and 34 cars. They also sell GMC trucks which account for 148. Only three different model cars in stock.

Very nice. Love those.
My 15 Malibu has the same 2.0 Turbo. It is designated the LTG. We have 32,000 miles on it now and love it.

The 13 LTGs had some piston problems that were replaced under warranty. They were fixed by 14. Such a nice little turbo engine that makes good power and gets decent MPGs.

Awesome first car!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back