Status
Not open for further replies.
WHATS UP NEWBI HERE IVE GOT A 05 GRAND CHEROKEE
AND DID MY 2ND OIL CHANGE USING 5-30 CHEVRON
3K OTC WHY IS MY OIL SO BLACK
4.7 V8 MOTOR
HOW LONG FOR BREAK IN I HAVE 6K ON IT
THANKS

The color of the oil has little to do with the oil's performance. I suggest grabbing a used oil analysis kit from BlackstoneLabs.com ( a sponsor here) and seeing what is happening inside your engine to put your mind at ease.

welcome.gif

"Bruce?? I think you hit the wrong post"
worshippy.gif

Sorry been painting kitchen all day must be the ah Paint "beer" fumes.
lol.gif

bruce

No worries! Chevron is good stuff. YUMMY! ok.... now I'm getting a little bit to excited.
smile.gif
If the oil gets dark quick, it means it's cleaning your motor real good.
wink.gif

No problem OILIE, and no need to worry as others stated, oil is just doing it's thing. You can use basically any oil brand and it should be good for about 4-5k in that engine.

I would consider the break in process that (tuong) gave in his post. You have a new engine and with under 6 thousand...two oil changes with 3 thousand each...your oil is black.

Rings not seated?

Air Filter not filtering?

Antifreeze?

As others have said...do an analysis or have your dealership start a oil consumption/contamination study...(not recomended) dealerships are a PAIN..(ha). I would do the analysis and see the results before you jump.

I used Chevron Supreme to break in my Toyota and also after break-in for a short time. The Chevron Supreme looked as good at 2000 miles at it did when I put it in. It looked like dark golden clover honey when I drained it out at 3000 miles. I do not think that it is the oil specificly. I would not let the color influence you to much.

Your engine is as broke-in as it is going to get for all practical purpose's. I would switch to Mobil-1 10W30 at this point. My Dakota really liked M-1!

I never heard of oil in a new car turning black like that no matter what brand.I thought it should be golden brown like John Browning's car.

If my oil was black like that i'd be in a panic mode and drain it out even if it was 3 in the morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back