Brands You Miss

Those were all racist brands and were culturally appropriating many things, they had to go. JOKING! This generation (Me being 29) is too sensitive and complain about everything it's pathetic. Like it is said, one generation to build, one to maintain and one to destroy. I'll tell you what I miss:
View attachment 47400
Was born in Canada and parents immigrated from India in the early 70s. I find it funny that "white" people found it offensive that a white man was doing Apu's voice. Meanwhile, we Indians loved the character and immitated him ALL of the time with the "thank you come again". So if a white man does a colored mans voice or takes a colored role it's "racist" but if a colored person does a white mans voice and takes the role of a white character in a play it's not racist? People need get life/job/gf/bf.
You are very slick.. I never gave that list a second thought. Nice!

The brand just disappeared. With all the mergers between Georgia-Pacific, James River, Fort Howard, Crown Zellerbach, and Great Northern Paper, it probably wouldn't have made sense to keep a dozen different brands of TP and paper towels.
I think Costco’s Kirkland Signature brand is made by Georgia-Pacific. Costco Business Center carries GP Marathon brand paper - so it would make sense to sole-source a commodity to reduce your COGS.

A couple of places that I miss are Baja Fresh and Quiznos. They're still around but not like they used to be. Closest ones are 30+ miles away.
Back when I was in college and working mall retail I spent many a lunch hour or dinner break at Baja Fresh or Quiznos. I kinda miss those days.

Puss'n Boots

Got to be careful here. Has nothing to do with a strip club pole dancer. A long time ago my cats were fed a steady diet of this food. It was called Puss'n Boots. The felines liked it but it smelled awful. Good product. Kitties miss it.
1614566523097.png

We locals have a hard time letting go the good old days. Sears was the go-to from clothes to electronics and that's closing. Many long time local mom-and pop stores shutting down because the next generation don't wanna take over. Longs is the place to go on a Sunday when the weekly sales book comes in the mail and SPAM and Vienna Sausage is 2 for 1 limit 5.

Had a chance drop freight at the Longs Drugs Distribution Center. Big front Longs Drugs sign at the front. I call that place Big Longs cuz of the rows of palletized Vienna Sausage and Spam there.

At least we still have McDonald's Fried Apple Pie.

I remember the original Longs Drugs location. Tiny little place on Piedmont Ave in Oakland, California.

However, we had a lot of different brands over the years and they've pretty much all merged or got resold to the point where there's only CVS, Walgreens, and Rite-Aid. And that's pretty homogenous around the United States.

I remember the original Longs Drugs location. Tiny little place on Piedmont Ave in Oakland, California.
The 24 hour one on Pleasant Valley and Broadway. Now it’s a fancy Safeway, Pet Food Express and Chase. My parents went to the one in Pinole. Rumor has it when the new Safeway in Hercules opens up, the former Longs and current Safeway in Pinole is gonna meet the wrecking ball.

The 24 hour one on Pleasant Valley and Broadway. Now it’s a fancy Safeway, Pet Food Express and Chase. My parents went to the one in Pinole. Rumor has it when the new Safeway in Hercules opens up, the former Longs and current Safeway in Pinole is gonna meet the wrecking ball.

I'm quite familiar with all these locations. Definitely the old Longs Drugs there with Top Dog near the entrance.

Funny you mention the new Safeway in Hercules. We were driving by there and my kid noticed it. Said it looked new. I've been to the Safeway in Pinole a few times, and it's in kind of a strange location, but it's been there forever. That parking lot is in pretty bad shape too. And the old style McDonald's across the street with the gabled roof hasn't gotten rid of it yet. However, their biggest problem is how well they're hidden from everything.

The Safeway I grew up with was on San Pablo Ave and Moeser in El Cerrito. Big sign saying that they've bee serving El Cerrito since (maybe) 1929. Was open 24 hours and a few times I was there after they cut off alcohol sales. I remember when they expanded after they took over a movie theater space. The CVS is still there, and that was previously a Thrifty/Payless, Payless, and Value Giant. But they shut that Safeway down for the big one across from the Del Norte BART station that was previously a Target, and before then a bowling alley. They closed down two Safeway stores for that one. Ah memories.

As far as I can tell, ConAgra doesn't list them anywhere.

I think this is what they look like:

large_25eaf020-eb68-4425-9378-4259ccd718bf.JPG

But Totino's (formerly Jeno's) pizza rolls were developed by the same Italian-American guy who previously owned Chun King. They were pretty much the same concept. Chun King eventually got sold to ConAgra, which I guess decided to kill the brand. I think the "egg rolls" were rebranded as La Choy.

I don't quite get why they're called egg rolls. There's almost never any egg. My Chinese friends call them "spring rolls" (春卷). In Vietnamese restaurants they call them "imperial rolls".

" Swing American"

Cantonese egg rolls to be legit require fermenting for a day prior to frying, very hard to find authentic egg rolls anymore.

Im still searching for an egg roll as good as the restaurant where eI had one of my first jobs as a bus boy, only found one place even close that was an "egg roll cart" in central station in Philadelphia.

Like egg rolls some brands are around, but not remotely the same.

Breyers Ice cream is one of those ruined by acquisition.

Breyers Ice cream used to be a premium product and once made a commercial with a little girl trying to read the ingredient list of the competing ice cream, bringing to rise the question - whats carageenan?

Its so far off they dont even call it ice cream, they call it a "frozen dairy dessert".

Now Breyers is the same mix of chemical stew they used to make fun of. A travesty of taste texture and quality.
Not even close to the premium product it used to be.

Instamatic was Kodak. Not to be confused with Kodamatic, which was their instant system that got sued off the market by Polaroid.
Oh yeah,that’s right!!👍 Because if I’m now remembering correctly,didn’t the term “Take a Polaroid” mean to take an instant picture?

Reactions: 4WD
Like egg rolls some brands are around, but not remotely the same.

Breyers Ice cream is one of those ruined by acquisition.

Breyers Ice cream used to be a premium product and once made a commercial with a little girl trying to read the ingredient list of the competing ice cream, bringing to rise the question - whats carageenan?

Its so far off they dont even call it ice cream, they call it a "frozen dairy dessert".

Now Breyers is the same mix of chemical stew they used to make fun of. A travesty of taste texture and quality.
Not even close to the premium product it used to be.

I don't believe Breyers was ever marketed as a premium product. It came in half gallons and was pumped with more air like its competitors. The whole idea of only using a few materials was really just fear mongering, as if there was something wrong with ingredients that sounded exotic.

Breyers has some they still call ice cream but others don't qualify. I believe the rule is about the milk fat content. They don't use fillers like soybean oil, but they just can't call it ice cream.

Oh yeah,that’s right!!👍 Because if I’m now remembering correctly,didn’t the term “Take a Polaroid” mean to take an instant picture?

That was kind of generic description, and after Kodak exited the market there was no-one else. They would actually keep on developing for about a year. Most 10 minute passport photos were dual-exposed Polaroid where the backing would then be removed. I had one of these taken for my passport photo as late as 2002. The developing was sped up with a hairdryer before being peeled and cut.

Kodak had a peel-apart film for consumers. The magician David Copperfield was doing commercials for Kodak instant cameras. At least until Polaroid sued them for patent infringement.

That was kind of generic description, and after Kodak exited the market there was no-one else. They would actually keep on developing for about a year. Most 10 minute passport photos were dual-exposed Polaroid where the backing would then be removed. I had one of these taken for my passport photo as late as 2002. The developing was sped up with a hairdryer before being peeled and cut.

Kodak had a peel-apart film for consumers. The magician David Copperfield was doing commercials for Kodak instant cameras. At least until Polaroid sued them for patent infringement.
Remember flashbulbs and flashcubes?

Too lazy's to look it up but didn't Bonanza and Ponderosa start out with the other's name then switch in some kind of trademark standoff. Also how about Shakey's and Lum's not that there's much to miss there. Is Roma Ribs out there someplace? Never spent much on clothes. People used to tell me I knew the location of the world's last Robert Hall.

Set to 🎶,

Robert Hall this season,
Will show you the reason,
Low Overhead, Low Overhead.

Back