Brands You Miss

I know a lot of Taiwanese aftermarket manufacturers of computer parts (LiteOn, Kingston, Asus, Cooler Master, Acer) are doing OEM contract manufacturing. So most likely they are building a lot of the Denso or Delphi units with their capacity when nothing aftermarket is left.

Or they might have switched to selling other audio stuff instead of car audio (i.e. blue tooth headphones), for work from home office stuff.
On a Hyundai I worked on with a friend, it actually had a Hyundai made head unit. Made by one of their parts divisions(Hyundai Mobis/Wia).

I happened to be looking at the FCC’s website and found a approval report for a Foxconn AV unit used in a Rolls-Royce(BMW) and Mercedes supposedly now uses Foxconn or Pegatron(Asus) for their infotainment.

Samsung owns Harman, and Denso bought out Fujitsu Ten, a longtime Toyota supplier. In a Toyota, it’s a good bet now that your infotainment is made by Denso or Pioneer. Clarion, a longtime supplier to Nissan and Subaru because Hitachi once controlled them got bought out by Fareucia.

the Japanese conglomerates tend to be more incestious within them because the major banks(Mitsubishi UFJ as an example) ultimately own them(mods, feel free to edit). The Korean ones tend to be tribal - hence why Samsung doesn’t really do business with the Hyundai Group - and the chaebols in Korea aren’t always run by a bank(SK, Hanhwa, Lotte - Samsung, LG and Hyosung have their hands in banking too).

Last edited:
the Japanese conglomerates tend to be more incestious within them because the major banks(Mitsubishi UFJ as an example) ultimately own them(mods, feel free to edit). The Korean ones tend to be tribal - hence why Samsung doesn’t really do business with the Hyundai Group - and the chaebols in Korea aren’t always run by a bank(SK, Hanhwa, Lotte - Samsung, LG and Hyosung have their hands in banking too).

The assets of Hyundai turned out to go in all sorts of directions. I distinctly remember Hyundai Electronics. Which merged with LG Semiconductor. Which was then renamed Hynix. Which then was sold to the SK Group to become SK Hynix.

The brand just disappeared. With all the mergers between Georgia-Pacific, James River, Fort Howard, Crown Zellerbach, and Great Northern Paper, it probably wouldn't have made sense to keep a dozen different brands of TP and paper towels.
True lol. Georgia Pacific is really common these days I see their stuff everywhere.

True lol. Georgia Pacific is really common these days I see their stuff everywhere.

I got curious and they actually have about four different brands of toilet paper. Some are only for institutional distribution like Envision or Preference. Then there's Northern and Angel Soft for the consumer market. Not sure how many other brand that they just discontinued over the years.

Proctor & Gamble only has a single brand of TP. However, they're doing pretty well with just Charmin.

I got curious and they actually have about four different brands of toilet paper. Some are only for institutional distribution like Envision or Preference. Then there's Northern and Angel Soft for the consumer market. Not sure how many other brand that they just discontinued over the years.

Proctor & Gamble only has a single brand of TP. However, they're doing pretty well with just Charmin.
Didn’t even know Proctor & Gamble did toilet paper lol. But that isn’t surprising. And that’s cool on Georgia Pacific I didn’t know that either.

Didn’t even know Proctor & Gamble did toilet paper lol. But that isn’t surprising. And that’s cool on Georgia Pacific I didn’t know that either.
Georgia-Pacific is also huge in building materials - they are third to USG and National Gypsum for drywall panels(but their yellow DensArmor panels for EFIS are a very common sight on the job site). They are part of Koch Industries.

How about all the brands from Crown-Zellerbach? It was a fairly large wood products company although I'm not sure what their reach was. They were based in San Francisco and even got bought out by James River, which then got absorbed by Georgia-Pacific.

However, in their heyday I was using Zee paper towels and Nice'n Soft TP.

My parents used to buy that stuff from Long’s Drugs way back in the day. The sale aisle.

speaking of which, I do miss Long’s Drugs. They actually were worth a ****, compared to Walgreens and PayLess. The Kaiser pharmacy does remind me of Long’s in some aspect.

I also haven’t seen Dutch Boy paint - my dad and me spar over paint these days. He’s cheap and prefers Behr’s bottom tier stuff, I’m a proponent of doing it once and I use Ben Moore or Kelly-Moore.

Georgia-Pacific is also huge in building materials - they are third to USG and National Gypsum for drywall panels(but their yellow DensArmor panels for EFIS are a very common sight on the job site). They are part of Koch Industries.
Yes that would explain why I always see the wood that gets shipped into the home improvement stores be stamped with their name on it.

Isn't Weyerhaeuser the biggest in board lumber? At least in the United States?

My parents used to buy that stuff from Long’s Drugs way back in the day. The sale aisle.

speaking of which, I do miss Long’s Drugs. They actually were worth a ****, compared to Walgreens and PayLess. The Kaiser pharmacy does remind me of Long’s in some aspect.

I also haven’t seen Dutch Boy paint - my dad and me spar over paint these days. He’s cheap and prefers Behr’s bottom tier stuff, I’m a proponent of doing it once and I use Ben Moore or Kelly-Moore.

I grew up with a bunch of different drug store brands. Really tiny chains like Value Giant.

I think I mentioned it earlier in this thread, but Longs Drugs still exists. It's still owned by CVS and all their house brands are CVS (like Kroger at all the smaller chains they own) but the Hawaii market just wouldn't let it go. The store listings on the CVS website say "operating as Longs Drugs".

3875641579_8b46cfdf06_b.jpg

I grew up with a bunch of different drug store brands. Really tiny chains like Value Giant.

I think I mentioned it earlier in this thread, but Longs Drugs still exists. It's still owned by CVS and all their house brands are CVS (like Kroger at all the smaller chains they own) but the Hawaii market just wouldn't let it go. The store listings on the CVS website say "operating as Longs Drugs".

3875641579_8b46cfdf06_b.jpg

We locals have a hard time letting go the good old days. Sears was the go-to from clothes to electronics and that's closing. Many long time local mom-and pop stores shutting down because the next generation don't wanna take over. Longs is the place to go on a Sunday when the weekly sales book comes in the mail and SPAM and Vienna Sausage is 2 for 1 limit 5.

Had a chance drop freight at the Longs Drugs Distribution Center. Big front Longs Drugs sign at the front. I call that place Big Longs cuz of the rows of palletized Vienna Sausage and Spam there.

At least we still have McDonald's Fried Apple Pie.

Many long time local mom-and pop stores shutting down because the next generation don't wanna take over.

At least we still have McDonald's Fried Apple Pie.
Sears was a part of my childhood. Many Chinese restaurants are shutting down, mainly because their parents push their kids hard to get a degree and not take over the family business. Same thing is happening to the donut shop, dry cleaners and nail salons - Khmer, Korean and Vietnamese families want their kids to have white collar jobs and not to take on the family business.

on this part of the mainland, we don’t have fried apple pies from McDonald’s proper - but the Walmart locations do have them.

Aunt Jemima syrup
Uncle Ben's rice
Land O' Lakes butter
Washington Redskins
Eskimo Pie ice cream
Cleveland Indians
Those were all racist brands and were culturally appropriating many things, they had to go. JOKING! This generation (Me being 29) is too sensitive and complain about everything it's pathetic. Like it is said, one generation to build, one to maintain and one to destroy. I'll tell you what I miss:
Apu_Nahasapeemapetilon_(The_Simpsons).jpg

Was born in Canada and parents immigrated from India in the early 70s. I find it funny that "white" people found it offensive that a white man was doing Apu's voice. Meanwhile, we Indians loved the character and immitated him ALL of the time with the "thank you come again". So if a white man does a colored mans voice or takes a colored role it's "racist" but if a colored person does a white mans voice and takes the role of a white character in a play it's not racist? People need get life/job/gf/bf.

Back