Brand loyalty poll

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are five vehicles at my household that I oil-maintain. Every one uses a different brand....

1) Castrol GC
2) Mobil-1
3) Pennzoil Platinum
4) Kendall syn-blend (Conoco)
5) Havoline dino (Chevron)

77GrandPrix,
I want to hear more about your oil preferanc.
Many thumb their nose at Valvoline. You use All climate, max life or Durablend?
What kind of mileage you exprience out of your engine? Clean?

I am a Havoline guy, but I use other oils in between, like when...

I found some Valvoline SYN High milage 5W-30 on clearance for $1.00 a quart and bought like 8 quarts...

Or when I found MC 5W-20 on clearance from WW for $1.00 per quart and bought like 12 quarts...

When that is all gone I will likely go back to my Havoline stash, unless I find another closeout...
fruit.gif
fruit.gif
fruit.gif

grbr95,
I have used all of Valvoline's different oils but, mainly All-Climate. I like Max Life real well and I am running Durablend in my daughter's car right now. I plan to do a UOA on it whenever my kit arrives. As for the kind of mileage and cleanliness I see with my engines, I have a '95 Dodge Caravan that I bought new. It is about to turn 167,000 miles and all on Valvoline(mostly All -Climate, maybe 15,000 miles with MaxLife,about the same with Synpower).During the Holidays I pulled one of the heads to replace a burned exhaust valve. I found no sludge, in fact, no deposits at all.The cam bearings looked new. As for the lack of moly that you mentioned in your email, other fine oils such as Amsoil and GC are moly free as well.The fact that All-Climate or, any of the others, do not contain moly is not an issue for me. As for the folks that snub their noses at All-Climate, I think they snub without really knowing why they are snubbing!! Thanks for your reply!

quote:

As for the folks that snub their noses at All-Climate, I think they snub without really knowing why they are snubbing!! Thanks for your reply!

I've used Valvoline before and it's not a bad oil, but over priced.

You can get any of the other excellent oils that would be in the same protection as Valvoline for less cost.

At some times, 49cents a quart for chevron, 69 cents a quart for pennzoil and 69 cents a quart for Castrol. The cheapest I've ever seen Valvoline is for 99 cents and those sales I can count on one hand.

Again, it's a good oil, just over priced.
cheers.gif

Take care, Bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

No brand loyalty but you need to choose when things are almost equal, and I'm not attracted for ¢5... I tend to avoid (in order) LiquiMoly, BP, Shell, Total and Elf. I tend to lean towards (in order) Mobil, Havoline, Pennzoil and Castrol.

Mobil 1 & PureOne since 1986. 86 Saab turbo 176,000, 95 Jeep 4.0 197,000, present Subaru @ 102,000 miles. NO engine oil related problems. Jeep is still going and going and going. I might be willing to change brands IF there is enough reliable data to demonstrate a significant improvement and is COST EFFECTIVE.

I stick to Havoline because it is a good oil at a good price. I have enough stashed at .89/.99 per quart that I can wait until I find it on sale.
That being said, if Havoline's price were to skyrocket to "premium oil price", I would definitely change brands.
At only $2.00 per quart, Ford Motorcraft synthetic blend seems to be an exception value regarding price/quality. I have a 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan and had contemplated switching to the Motorcraft anyway. As long as I can find Havoline at a premium price, I'll stick to that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back