Ford
Mopar

Currently have
Tahoe 4WD 5.3L
Z71 4WD 5.3L
Cruze RS 1.4T
Fusion Titanium Hybrid
Charger 3.6L

Never really thought of it, but every car in last 25 years has been GM or HyunKia. No real lemons but GM's tended to cost me close to a thou in miscellaneous repairs while the HyunKias cost mr next to nothing.

Street racing in the '70s left Ford cars out of contention in my choices as an adult. Perpetual losers. I bought me a brand new diesel truck from Ford, engine great! Transmission junk. My last Ford. I've bought a myriad of other makes over the years with pretty good results. I like the Mopars and VW the best. Crazy like that.

Brand loyalty and $1.00 will buy you a cup of coffee at your local convenience store. I think your local dealers attitude towards customer service is more important than the brand name. I am pretty sure we all know every manufacturer pulled stupid stunts and put some total junk on the road. (ex: Ford small car cvt transmission's) We all know to avoid those particular models. That said, I have owned full size pick up trucks from all of the "big 3", and can say i never really had a bad one. Both new and used. Nowadays, I give Toyota a slight edge. Their high resale value's is hard to ignore. The size is great, and it sure wasn't $50,000 either.

Originally Posted by csandste
Never really thought of it, but every car in last 25 years has been GM or HyunKia. No real lemons but GM's tended to cost me close to a thou in miscellaneous repairs while the HyunKias cost mr next to nothing.

Ding ding ding .......GM cost you thousands
Here's a man telling the truth !!

That's a red flag my friend !!!
Just a learning example....Don't buy GM

As you just said
Cost you thousands !!! Money wasted !!

Last edited:
What a load of crap from you again … grow up will ya ?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by kstanf150

As you just said

My employer realized how much longer trucks can last after they got rid of the last f150 and then only had 2 gm truck's and a Toyota. The 2005 has been a work truck since 2012. The previous gmc was a 2002 that still ran great but got too rusty.

I'm no fan of the newest GM's but there are all hundreds of thousands of good 90s to 2007 GM's on the road, that cost very little to keep going.

Your advice is worthless.

Originally Posted by caprice_2nv

As you just said

My employer realized how much longer trucks can last after they got rid of the last f150 and then only had 2 gm truck's and a Toyota. The 2005 has been a work truck since 2012. The previous gmc was a 2002 that still ran great but got too rusty.

I'm no fan of the newest GM's but there are all hundreds of thousands of good 90s to 2007 GM's on the road, that cost very little to keep going.

Your advice is worthless.

It's your opinion

And we all got one

As you just said

My Camaro has cost me thousands, But that's not the cars fault
crazy2.gif

The 2006 2500HD Duramax has 400,000+ miles on it & the only non-maintenance items it's needed is trans cooler lines (Twice). I don't believe I would have got the same service out of a 2006 F250 with a 6.0L Powerstroke. I did cross shop all 3 diesel trucks, And came close to buying a F250 but my local Chevy dealer had a loaded 2wd that I negotiated down to $35,000 out the door!

Never really thought of it, but every car in last 25 years has been GM or HyunKia. No real lemons but GM's tended to cost me close to a thou in miscellaneous repairs while the HyunKias cost me next to nothing.

I didn't say that all GM cars were absolute c+#p. I had a Cavalier which was painful car but reliable, a Malibu Maxx that had repeated electric steering problems and a Buick Encore that had repeated pcv valve probs plus a $600 fuse block. None of these cars were over the dependability line and none were pickups which may or may not be better than their Ford counterparts.

Last edited:
Brand loyalty is dumb. Plain and simple. The only caveat I can think of that makes loyalty a good decision is some kind of financial benefit, i.e. airline credit card.

I believe that a lot of loyalty stems from some form of emotional response. I know that in my case, my tendency to gravitate towards Mopar is tied into the fact that my mom's first new vehicle purchase was a '97 Dodge Dakota. I don't know why, but the memory of 6 year old me seeing her take delivery of that brand new truck has been burned into my brain and caused this Mopar soft spot. That being said, never in a million years would I limit my search to the Mopar umbrella. In fact, the only vehicles of theirs that appeal to me right now are the Ram lineup and the Charger 392.

When I buy a vehicle I have a checklist of must haves and nice-to-haves. Don't meet my requirements? You're off the list.

That being said, my purchase/driving history is as folllows;

1st - Dodge (3)
2nd - Mazda (2)
3rd (tie) - Chevy and Alfa Romeo (1)

Originally Posted by MCompact
That said, on my hunt to replace the 2er I've looked at the Giulia TI Sport

[Linked Image from comicvine1.cbsistatic.com]

Last edited:
I have owned vehicles from several brands, but mostly GM. I will consider another GM for my next vehicle, however I do not like the direction their service departments have gone the past few years. Service prices are WAY up, vary wildly among dealers, and service quality is spotty. One time they do an amazing job, the next it is very sketchy. No consistency. I have a dealer 4 miles down the street that does great work, but they charge $100 for an oil change and tire rotation and add on all kinds of little charges for washer fluid, brake cleaner, electronic record retention fees, and try unnecessary upsells. The dealer from whom I bought my Chevrolet (30 miles away) charges $50 for the oil change and tire rotation and rarely tacks on additional charges. Their service is hit or miss and I have caught them not actually rotating the tires, forgetting to reset the TPMS when they do rotate, and I suspect they don't always change the oil filter. Now that my Chevy is off warranty I will do more oil changes myself.

I actually like Chrysler products and have never had an issue with them. I would purchase a new FCA product, however they need to do some work on the overall safety ratings of their vehicles before I write the check. Get the safety up and I will be a return customer. I would like a Jeep Grand Cherokee, but the safety rating is just not competitive.

I had a VW once. Dynamically it was great, mechanically and from a quality perspective it was frustrating. Dealer service was garbage.

Hyundai for me was a very mediocre experience. It would take a lot for me to buy another Hyundai product.

Ford products for me have been very unreliable. Dealer service tried very hard and went above and beyond to try and fix all of the issues I had with my Ford vehicles, but it just wasn't enough to make me trust the product itself. I might be willing to try another Ford product, but it would have to be a Lincoln (maybe a 2 year old off lease vehicle with a clean service history) to make it worth trying.

One of these days I may try a Toyota/Lexus, Honda/Acura, or Nissan/Infiniti. I have heard so many stories (both really good and really bad) about Audi, BMW, and Mercedes that I am not sure I would ever want to deal with them.

Historically, I have had:
GM - 6
Chrysler - 2
Ford - 2
VW - 1
Hyundai - 1

As far as I can tell our GM service Dept is the same even though I have not needed them in years. I had my 2010 GMC for 8 years … beat on it hard but never needed a dealership or mechanic. I did get parts there a few days back when a pole pulled out in front of my mirror … so got a look around … same faces.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by clinebarger

As you just said

My Camaro has cost me thousands, But that's not the cars fault
crazy2.gif

The 2006 2500HD Duramax has 400,000+ miles on it & the only non-maintenance items it's needed is trans cooler lines (Twice). I don't believe I would have got the same service out of a 2006 F250 with a 6.0L Powerstroke. I did cross shop all 3 diesel trucks, And came close to buying a F250 but my local Chevy dealer had a loaded 2wd that I negotiated down to $35,000 out the door!

True...the Duramax is a better engine than the PS 6.0L.
But without all the troubles of the 6.0 the Ford guys would have never gotten the in house built 6.7 engine. So I'd say it worked out ok

Originally Posted by Paul_Siu
My wife's family are Ford loyalist, they buy mostly Ford. My wife is a Subaru loyalist. My sister and her SO are Tesla loyalist. I however are loyal to no brand. From my point of view, brands are not like family or friends but are corporation that make money by selling me stuff. If they make good stuff and I buy it, it benefits both of us. However, if they make bad stuff, I feel no obligation to be loyal and keep buying it. Corporate after all are all about their bottom life. They only have good customer service because if they don't people will stop buying their products. If a brand was terrible in the past, I will avoid them but give them a chance if they improve. If a brand is great, they have to maintain that greatness of me to continue buying if there are competitive. In my opinion, this is good for the ecosystem overall since it will result in great product which benefits everyone. This is why I think brand loyalty doesn't make sense. I appeared to be in the minority though.

Paul

I have zero brand loyalty, but I do hate certain brands because they are consistently less well made than others.

Brands I've owned:

Chevrolet
Ford
Jeep
Nissan
Infiniti
Mazda
Pontiac

Most reliable: Mazda
Least reliable: Infiniti
Most reliable Runner Up: Chevrolet
Least reliable runner up: Jeep

Last edited:
I think part of it may be a degree of nostalgia and ego. People often stick with things the grew up with. My wife grew up liking certain brands of hotdogs and even though they would not be my favorite, it's what she is used to. My sister in law like Mustangs, though that car has change over the years (now it's will be a SUV).

Some people I know are really buy into the dream that the product is selling. I know a few people who are really into the Tesla eco-system so much so that they believe in the Tesla dream enough that they purchase the stock, too. I am really cynical, I then to think of these dream or vision from the company are just marketing.

The other thing is ego. Once we buy something, we want validation that we made the right choice. When someone question our choice, it becomes a question of our competence. Frankly, it's just a car and I freely admit that I have often made poor choice. II just hope that I don't make the same mistake more than once.

Paul

My in-laws are ALL GM loyalists. If it's not a Buick or Chevy, you won't find it in their driveway. Much to their detriment. They keep buying Equinoxes. They keep burning oil & getting noisy. They keep trading them in for new Equinoxes. They keep buying Silverados, they keep having mysterious transmission troubles, they keep trading them in for new Silverados. I did finally manage to swing my sister-in-law over to Ford when I let her drive my Mustang. But she hates it because it's not as convenient & roomy as her former Equinox. Deliver me.

I was a Honda loyalist for a short while after my parents bought their '85 Accord SE-i. That was a fantastic car compared to everything they owned prior. It never broke, or even hinted at breaking. Then Honda seemed to lose their way, first with the destruction of everything I loved at Acura, and then the hideous (IMO) re-designs of the Accord & Civic through the years. Their storied product quality got a few dings & scratches with the transmissions in the Gen 7 Accord, so any desire I used to have for a Honda dissolved. Now I just buy cars I like, regardless of brand. My post-malaise-era Olds Calais nearly destroyed any desire I had for an American car, but as you can see from my signature, it came back.

I'm not brand loyal, but there are some that I avoid. For a while, Nissan and Infiniti built the cars I liked. Prior to that Toyota and Lexus seemed to fill the niche. I've bought new cars from the big 3 US manufacturers and the big 3 Euro brands. I generally lean towards Japanese cars with a current interest in Kia/Hyundai. Particularly the G70/Stinger. Interestingly, I always liked Honda motorcycles, but I've never owned a Honda car.

Back