Brake pads

I think people have more concerns over brake pads with a Pep Boys name (safety reason) than they would over an exhaust with a Pep Boys name.

I don't need to save every last nickel on brake pads.
Do you know of any or can find me any sources that might make me think pep boys doesnt sell safe products?

I like how the mentality is that you either A. You have to buy a $50 set of pads for them to be of any sort of quality or B. Sounds like a good deal :ROFLMAO:
If you're trying to fix an issue like brake noise, brake dust or pad over heating, then the cheap pads probably aren't the answer, but if there's no issues and you just need to replace them anything branded and fitting the application is likely to do adequately. I don't see the issue here. And at $20 you wouldn't be too upset if you need to replace them early either...

Do you know of any or can find me any sources that might make me think pep boys doesnt sell safe products?

I first went to Pep Boys around 1970 when I was 17 looking for something kool for my 1965 Mustang. It was my feeling then and still that the parts they sell (by the part brand names) they are not of the highest quality. But never read about a part that was not safe.

If you're trying to fix an issue like brake noise, brake dust or pad over heating, then the cheap pads probably aren't the answer, but if there's no issues and you just need to replace them anything branded and fitting the application is likely to do adequately. I don't see the issue here. And at $20 you wouldn't be too upset if you need to replace them early either...
No issues, just simply due for a replacement of the pads.

I first went to Pep Boys around 1970 when I was 17 looking for something kool for my 1965 Mustang. It was my feeling then and still that the parts they sell (by the part brand names) they are not of the highest quality. But never read about a part that was not safe.
So 50 years ago, you walked into a pepboys and got a bad taste in your mouth and in your mind for the last 50 years nothing has changed about them? But, yet you have seen zero bad examples of them. I am assuming you dont use any pennzoil/quaker state products as well? Since around that same time (70's -80's) they were named with causing sludge.

So 50 years ago, you walked into a pepboys and got a bad taste in your mouth and in your mind for the last 50 years nothing has changed about them? But, yet you have seen zero bad examples of them. I am assuming you dont use any pennzoil/quaker state products as well? Since around that same time (70's -80's) they were named with causing sludge.

Are you just here to pick a fight?

my wife bought a battery for her car there and it was older than 6 months when she got it installed.
What's the issue with that ? Sure, the newer the better, but a battery sitting unused on a store shelf is hardly being degraded drastically.

Are you just here to pick a fight?

I guess I could ask you the same question?

and to answer that question, no, I am not. I noticed the implicit contrast that for some reason for the past 50 years this gentleman has carried around the notion that Pep boys sells inferior products simply because he walked into a store front roughly 5 decades ago. All the while millions of dollars of sells have been made, and not one example can be shown that they produce inferior products. Yet he is still giving the advice that pep boys parts are 'cheaping out'. I am making the statement that from year to year and more specifically from decade to decade parts stores change for the better and sometimes for the worse. I came here looking for people who have USED the pads and can comment on the pads, not for a bunch of comments about how the store use to function 26 years before I was born, and 35 years before the car was even produced. My example was the back in the 1970's and 80's most people would not use pennzoil/quaker state because they were known as 'sludge oils', while 50 years later QSUD and PP/PUP are one the top oils in the country. So in 50 years, things change quite a bit. While, to that I say good day to you sir. i have spent enough time explaining myself to someone who has done nothing to help me with original question.

Ed

Back then I used QS oil in a can since my Dad bought it by the case and thus free to me.

The only thing recent is my wife bought a battery for her car there and it was older than 6 months when she got it installed.
Apparently, our conversation is being taken wrongfully by others reading it. Donald, I mean you no disrespect and If i came across that way i apologize. Sometimes, when typing on the internet my words do not come across and i intend them too. I am simply questioning your thoughts and do not mean that in a demeaning way. We can agree to disagree on the quality of parts being sold at Pep boys and i am completely okay with that. i have ZERO stock in the company, and I have already ordered pads elsewhere regardless.

To the OP... I think you'd be fine running them. Deals are great, I still have a lifetime (3 sets) of Hawk brake pads I bought for my 84 K30 at $4 a set years ago. Being in the auto aftermarket I'm sure the Pep Boy pads are made by a major player to a price point they wanted. To be sure though, they are very safe, big corporate liability insurance makes sure of that. Forum opinions are like butt-holes, everyone has them, ignore the know it alls and glean any good info you might find!

Never tried PepBoys branded pads, but I have Raybestos installed both on the front and rear.
Got both for $54 delivered from RockAuto, can't be any happier with them.
Folks here on bitog recommended Raybestos and it turned up to be really good (in case RA has it for your vehicle)

I have never had a bad experience with anything purchased from Rock Auto. As for Pep Boys they are keeping the auto service centers open and closing some of the retail stores. I had a brake job at Pep Boys they had Bronze, Silver or Gold service as I recall, I got the Silver and the pads lasted as long as any other brake job I remembered. Company seems to have fallen on hard times but some of the mass hysteria people post here is quite hilarious. As for Rock Auto people try to repeat the same innuendo over and over but none of it seems to be sticking.

Never tried PepBoys branded pads, but I have Raybestos installed both on the front and rear.
Got both for $54 delivered from RockAuto, can't be any happier with them.
Folks here on bitog recommended Raybestos and it turned up to be really good (in case RA has it for your vehicle)
I actually decided to go with the platinum (rear) and gold (front) pads from AAP, I just received my $25 rebate from a purchase in June and with a 25% off code and some speedperks coupons. It makes them as good or better than majority of what i could order off of rockauto. i appreciate the input!

I have never had a bad experience with anything purchased from Rock Auto. As for Pep Boys they are keeping the auto service centers open and closing some of the retail stores. I had a brake job at Pep Boys they had Bronze, Silver or Gold service as I recall, I got the Silver and the pads lasted as long as any other brake job I remembered. Company seems to have fallen on hard times but some of the mass hysteria people post here is quite hilarious. As for Rock Auto people try to repeat the same innuendo over and over but none of it seems to be sticking.
Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but I do believe that these pads are most likely coming from one of the 'liquidated stores'.

I don’t have a Pep Boys anywhere near me and had forgotten they existed till I seen this lol. So I can’t speak on the quality of those pads but if you are buying from RockAuto look for some Raybestos or Wagner or Centric Pads or another known brand I find them all the time on there for cheap. For auto parts store pads I have had the best luck with AutoZone and Advanced Auto. Also make sure you get ones that are rated for your rotors too some can’t do ceramic pads because the rotors aren’t rated for them if the ones you plan to get are ceramic just make sure the rotors are rated for them.

Apparently, our conversation is being taken wrongfully by others reading it.

There's a lot of good information that is available on this site. However, if you stick around this site long enough, you will realize that some posters just have to argue. Someone might post that the earth is round and somebody here will disagree. You can post a subject where you know 100% that you are correct and somebody will say that you are incorrect. It's just the nature of the site.
I would guess that you will have good luck with your brake pad purchase, even the ones from Rock Auto. But somebody here will say you made the wrong purchase, even if they've never heard of the brand that you chose.

Reactions: wdn
Back