Brake pad stopping power! Wagner ThermoQuiet Semi-metallic

On my ‘02 Jaguar XKR the front rotors are slotted and the rears solid. I got 53,000+ miles from my last set of redstuff pads. Dust was not noticeable.

The pads had about 3mm of friction material left on them, so not 100% worn out, but well into my no-confidence zone, so out they went.

I’m tempted to try the new(er) formulation of the yellowstuff pads next time around. But don’t want to fix something that isn’t broken.

Z
I find the yellows perfect for a street car, they aren't really that much different in day to day feel until you need to use them repeatedly and then you know you have a better/higher heat friction compound.

I find the yellows perfect for a street car, they aren't really that much different in day to day feel until you need to use them repeatedly and then you know you have a better/higher heat friction compound.

I’m getting sold on trying them when replacement time rolls around again.

Do you have any experience in comparing the red vs yellow compounds ? Sounds like they (the yellowstuff pads) might be marginally harder on the rotors.

Thank you,

Z

Last edited:
I’m getting sold on trying them when replacement time rolls around again.

Do you have any experience in comparing the red vs yellow compounds ? Sounds like they (the yellowstuff pads) might be marginally harder on the rotors.

Thank you,

Z
Yes, I've run both back to back on the same vehicle. Reds to me were "meh" - expensive street pads that really didn't hold up well to mountain hooning. Red lasted 20 min on the track...then I wa sout the rest of that day. Sourced Yellows and the next day was fine...handled mild track use on street tires. I'd never buy reds again...just no real point as I see it vs. yellows.

Mo
Yes, I've run both back to back on the same vehicle. Reds to me were "meh" - expensive street pads that really didn't hold up well to mountain hooning. Red lasted 20 min on the track...then I wa sout the rest of that day. Sourced Yellows and the next day was fine...handled mild track use on street tires. I'd never buy reds again...just no real point as I see it vs. yellows.

Can you describe the rotor wear with the yellowstuff pads as being better, or worse, than expected ?

Z

Mo

Can you describe the rotor wear with the yellowstuff pads as being better, or worse, than expected ?

Z
I'll call it "normal". Not seen any increased wear that I noted.

I would say about "on-par" as expected. The rotor wear (and overall performance) was about as equal as running Ferodo DS2500s or Performance Friction PF01s.

After going through a good number of sub-standard brake pads for my Jaguar, I finally found a quality set of "non race" pads with high friction ratings that actually perform. The Wagner ThermoQuiet Semi-Metallic pads with the "Wagner OE25™ zero-copper friction formulation". They are accurately G-G friction rated. I've got to say, they are exactly what I was looking for. I tried Centric Ceramic pads, and a few other brands of Ceramic. In an emergency, I also purchased some "duralast" semi-metallics from AutoZone that were FF rated. None were able to slow the car well or even engage the ABS at speed, as they did not produce adequate friction. These Wagner pads flat out ROCK. They bite smoothly, fast and hard, with very modest pedal pressure, and are fantastic hauling the car down from high speed. In an age of ubiquitous, underperforming Chinese brake pads with fancy names, these Wagner's stand apart as a quality product.

If you are looking for a commercially available brake pad with the highest friction levels, these make a good choice. I'll put them on my F150's next.

I2C5oME.jpg

View attachment 133773
Are these made in America!? Or china?

pad compound as well as the rotors "iron" effects brake performance + like tires its NOT one size fits all!! had EBC yellows with EBC smooth rotors on my 11 Fronty SV 4 WD good breaking + some dust but lasted just over 20 thou + was replaced by NRS semi mrtallic pads with a galvanized backing plate + patented hook mechanical pad retention that i believe EBC also uses. NRS pads are as good or better than EBC yellows + a bit less dust + a similar higher cost as well. SavageGeese.com notes on his fine print series some but not all brake pads dust is very corrosive requiring constant cleaning to protect your alloys. he has a couple of interesting informative vids on braking pads + rotors!

Wagner Thermoquiets are good for cars and trucks that don't haul much but don't use them if you're pulling a camper because they won't last long. My BIL used them on his Expedition that gets used for heavy towing and they wore out fast.

Neither, they seem to be made in Europe. If I remember correctly, I think they were made in Poland
Driv owns the Ferodo and Jurid brands in Europe - Ferodo pads are made in England or Spain. Wagner tends to get European application pads from Ferodo - big plus is they meet ECE 90 by default.

Galfer(ITT) makes friction in Romania or Hungary - Poland makes sense due to lower labor costs.

Back