Brake pad measurement .

Because they're like $75 for new, OE ones. If they are in great shape and can be turned, then by all means, do that. But that is not free either, requires additional trip(s) to a shop, etc.

But of course this is BITOG where people brag about changing oil every 2k but also about never changing brake fluid. So who knows.
I've never been satisfied with the results of turned rotors. And it is getting very difficult to find shops who still do it. The economics just aren't if favor of it.

Having worked in manufacturing almost my entire career before retiring, I am all about PM. But smart PM does not involve replacing items when they still have, say 70% or 80% of it's life left. A good PM plan will include collecting data, to determine MTBF, using statistics to find a safety margin, that will reduce waste from replacing parts too soon, yet also reduce the risk of lost productivity from equipment failure.

Of course I don't have the resources for such a detailed PM plan on my cars, so I tend to do maintenance on the safe side. But I'm not one to replace parts with most of it's life left, just because it is the thing to do, if you are to be considered a true BITOG guy. :ROFLMAO:

I've never been satisfied with the results of turned rotors. And it is getting very difficult to find shops who still do it. The economics just aren't if favor of it.

Having worked in manufacturing almost my entire career before retiring, I am all about PM. But smart PM does not involve replacing items when they still have, say 70% or 80% of it's life left. A good PM plan will include collecting data, to determine MTBF, using statistics to find a safety margin, that will reduce waste from replacing parts too soon, yet also reduce the risk of lost productivity from equipment failure.

You genuinely believe a rotor with 100k miles on it has 70-80% of life left? I would say that would be a very unique situation.

You genuinely believe a rotor with 100k miles on it has 70-80% of life left? I would say that would be a very unique situation.
Have you ever measured a rear rotor on a Toyota/Honda product after the original set of rear pads? Those pads utilize adherent friction and there is almost no rotor wear.

From my maintenance records for my wife's '13 Outback:

On 31 Aug. of this year, I did the 150k mile service on this car. Actual mileage was 150,341. I measured front rotor thickness and found them at 23.62 mm (LH) and 23.71 mm (RH). Subaru spec. is 22.0-24.0 mm. Without pulling out the calculator, that is a little more than 75% of life left before reaching the minimum spec.

I'm not saying that all rotors will have >75% of wear life left at 150k miles. What I am saying, is to use actual data to determine when to do maintenance. A lot like those here at BITOG who use UOA to determine oil change maintenance. Or test strips to check brake fluid. Or a tire depth gauge to monitor tire wear.

Have you ever measured a rear rotor on a Toyota/Honda product after the original set of rear pads? Those pads utilize adherent friction and there is almost no rotor wear.
That's new to me. Would you be kind enough to explain adherent friction? Thanks!

That's new to me. Would you be kind enough to explain adherent friction? Thanks!

That was very helpful. The Camry will need brakes soon (4+mm pad material before the Chicago trip) so the info was timely as well. Thanks!

That may explain why the rotors on my wife's Outback have worn so little. Thanks for the info.

Back