Bought the wife a Mini Van

Was finally able to pry her out of the 2010 Toyota Corolla she's been driving the last 11 years, It's been an okay vehicle & now was certainly time to sell it.....Got $6,700 within a few hours of the wife posting it on Facebook Marketplace. I listed it for $7,000 knowing someone would haggle on the price.
More than I ever thought I'd get for it considering the condition of the paint as the Texas sun had burnt the clear coat right off the roof, But it was mechanically sound with a almost new set of Michelin Premiers, New OE brake pads up front, Fresh Mobil 1 oil change, Coolant had just been changed & it's had 6-7 ATF drain & fills over it's 145,000 miles. I did tell the buyer about the clicking left CV Axle though the boots are not torn or leaking.
I insisted that we go right downtown & change the title over OR I take the plates & registration off the car.....He chose to go with me downtown :)

Her new ride is a 2011 Honda Odyssey EX-L with 159,000 miles that I bought from the original owner which are clients of mine, It has been meticulously maintained by me since 2013 when the bumper to bumper warranty expired.
*Timing Belt, Water Pump, Tensioner, Idler, Spark Plugs, Valve Adjustment, & Valve Cover Gaskets were done about a year ago using Honda parts at 150,000. He had me change just the Timing belt at 98,000 miles but the Tensioner started leaking oil at 150,000.
*ATF has been drained & filled every 40,000 miles with DW-1.
*Oil has been changed every 4,000-5,000 miles using Mobil 1 5w30 with either a Honda or a Fram Ultra oil filter.
*Brakes were done about 20,000 miles ago with new OE Rotors & Pads up front along with turning the rear Rotors with OE Pads.
*Rear tires are almost new Michelin Cross Climate's & the Michelin Premier Fronts are at about 30%.....I'm going to buy 2 new Cross Climates right away.
*The Honda branded battery is about 18 months old.
*Replaced the right sliding door motor at the same time I did the battery, It hadn't completely failed but had a hitch when closing.
*A/C Compressor replaced about 2 years ago because a failed magnetic coil.

Problems....
*P0430 Catalyst Below Efficiency Bank 2 DTC sets intermittently in the winter, This has been ongoing for a few years. I'll likely space the Bank 2 Sensor 2 with a anti fouler.
*A couple of the Dome Lamps will stay on while driving, You have to switch them off via the switch....Haven't diagnosed this yet, This is the reason he decided to part with the van as he was no patience for electrical issues.

He asked what he should do?.....I advised him to sell it private party because the insane market at the moment, He wanted no part of that.....Well trade it in I said.
He was looking at Ford Expeditions & the Ford dealer offered him $4,300. He called me asking my advice about the offer.....I replied with, I'll give you $5,500 right now!! SOLD.

Just to clarify......I sold the Corolla after I bought the Van, Bought the Van Thursday & the Corolla sold the next day.

The wife absolutely loves how practical it is with all the cargo space & power lift gate. I had to remind her that I offered several times to buy her a brand new vehicle of her choosing. That's just how she is....Unless I go out & buy her a vehicle, She's perfectly content with what she has long as it's reliable.

x7nMDen.jpg

pViE7In.jpg

w3z1mQK.jpg

ciK0Wfj.jpg

That is a great buy for $5500!

Do you plan to disable the the VCM? That generation of Odyssey was no better than the 05-10's when it came to oil consumption. Luckily all of the parts are still available if you have to do the re-ring and it is fairly inexpensive if you do it yourself. It is still a ton of work, but the instructions in the TSB are very good.

Also sold my '96 Silverado 1500 shop truck for $6,000 with a heavily damaged bed side, They were happy to have it! I bought it in 2019 for peanuts.
Almost tempted to sell the '06 LBZ Duramax just to see how stupid the market really is, But that would leave me without a pick-up.....

Also sold my '96 Silverado 1500 shop truck for $6,000 with a heavily damaged bed side, They were happy to have it! I bought it in 2019 for peanuts.
Almost tempted to sell the '06 LBZ Duramax just to see how stupid the market really is, But that would leave me without a pick-up.....
Keep the Duramax, or at the very least make sure it goes to a good home! I was looking last year for one, people wanted outrageous amounts of money for ones with… questionable mods.

Was finally able to pry her out of the 2010 Toyota Corolla she's been driving the last 11 years, It's been an okay vehicle & now was certainly time to sell it.....Got $6,700 within a few hours of the wife posting it on Facebook Marketplace. I listed it for $7,000 knowing someone would haggle on the price.
More than I ever thought I'd get for it considering the condition of the paint as the Texas sun had burnt the clear coat right off the roof, But it was mechanically sound with a almost new set of Michelin Premiers, New OE brake pads up front, Fresh Mobil 1 oil change, Coolant had just been changed & it's had 6-7 ATF drain & fills over it's 145,000 miles. I did tell the buyer about the clicking left CV Axle though the boots are not torn or leaking.
I insisted that we go right downtown & change the title over OR I take the plates & registration off the car.....He chose to go with me downtown :)

Her new ride is a 2011 Honda Odyssey EX-L with 159,000 miles that I bought from the original owner which are clients of mine, It has been meticulously maintained by me since 2013 when the bumper to bumper warranty expired.
*Timing Belt, Water Pump, Tensioner, Idler, Spark Plugs, Valve Adjustment, & Valve Cover Gaskets were done about a year ago using Honda parts at 150,000. He had me change just the Timing belt at 98,000 miles but the Tensioner started leaking oil at 150,000.
*ATF has been drained & filled every 40,000 miles with DW-1.
*Oil has been changed every 4,000-5,000 miles using Mobil 1 5w30 with either a Honda or a Fram Ultra oil filter.
*Brakes were done about 20,000 miles ago with new OE Rotors & Pads up front along with turning the rear Rotors with OE Pads.
*Rear tires are almost new Michelin Cross Climate's & the Michelin Premier Fronts are at about 30%.....I'm going to buy 2 new Cross Climates right away.
*The Honda branded battery is about 18 months old.
*Replaced the right sliding door motor at the same time I did the battery, It hadn't completely failed but had a hitch when closing.
*A/C Compressor replaced about 2 years ago because a failed magnetic coil.

Problems....
*P0430 Catalyst Below Efficiency Bank 2 DTC sets intermittently in the winter, This has been ongoing for a few years. I'll likely space the Bank 2 Sensor 2 with a anti fouler.
*A couple of the Dome Lamps will stay on while driving, You have to switch them off via the switch....Haven't diagnosed this yet, This is the reason he decided to part with the van as he was no patience for electrical issues.

He asked what he should do?.....I advised him to sell it private party because the insane market at the moment, He wanted no part of that.....Well trade it in I said.
He was looking at Ford Expeditions & the Ford dealer offered him $4,300. He called me asking my advice about the offer.....I replied with, I'll give you $5,500 right now!! SOLD.

Just to clarify......I sold the Corolla after I bought the Van, Bought the Van Thursday & the Corolla sold the next day.

The wife absolutely loves how practical it is with all the cargo space & power lift gate. I had to remind her that I offered several times to buy her a brand new vehicle of her choosing. That's just how she is....Unless I go out & buy her a vehicle, She's perfectly content with what she has long as it's reliable.

x7nMDen.jpg

pViE7In.jpg

w3z1mQK.jpg

ciK0Wfj.jpg
Nice!!(y)

Wow that van is clean. Can you ask the former owner how they cared for the paint? Did they wax it regularly? It sure looks like they did. Maybe it was garaged all it's life. Inquiring minds want to know.

Incredible that a Corolla would fetch more money as that odyssey. Absolutely crazy.

I like the color!

Are you sure the dome light thing is actually an issue? My kids leave the lights on and they’ll stay on if the switch is in the “door” setting vs the “off” setting…. Or do you mean the only way to turn them off is to move the main switch to off?

It’s great to have a vehicle that you know the history of and can keep running… but oh the humanity of having a timing belt!!

good luck with it!

I feel silly telling you since you're a mechanic, but as a previous owner, be sure to keep the bottom channel (pocket) clean and free of debris. Kids drop stuff that ends up in there and can interfere. As you probably know, those doors have safeties where if they sense any interference, they reverse direction.

Looks nice! I am envious of the condition of your wheels. We have a 2012 EX-L with the same wheels and being in MN that are corroded and look crappy.

Back