Bought 2016 WRX - Initial Impressions After 150 mi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Hounds
Neat car, John. I admire both your enthusiasm and your courage (the only word for it) in buying a WRX never having seen the car or driven it. I hope for your sake that the car proves to be a great, long-term, trouble free 'Roo.

You mentioned rev-hang. For years now many manual-transmission Hondas have had the same characteristic. Very irritating. The "fix" that has worked for me is a rather simple one based on muscle memory. More specifically, out of habit, most of us accelerate and then shove in the clutch to shift gears. We drive that way because that's how most of us learned to drive a manual-transmission automobile. Do that now, however, and the engine's electronics will hold the highest rpm attained for a second or so before gradually falling off. Again, very irritating.

Try this: Instead of shoving in the clutch immediately, lift of the accelerator just an instant before you shove in the clutch. Works perfectly in a Honda. No throttle hang. It's all muscle memory. Once you get the hang of it (so to speak!), your frustration will be a thing of the past.

Well, for anyone else thinking about buying online, I did not have to sign the papers until after inspecting the car. Other than what I mentioned about the dealership decal, and having the dirty tire dressing all over it, it did have a very minor scratch that I couldn't even catch with my fingernail, and I knew it would disappear as soon as I waxed the car. If it had anything more serous, I probably would have made some noise about it. But, after buying many things, I've learned that very few products are completely flawless. They have to be handled by careless humans. And especially with something like this, which had to come all the way from Japan...

Thanks for the tip on the shifting - I'll try that.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: john_pifer
ENGINE NEEDS UNCORKED!

Then it will sound like all the other WRXs on the road -- like a VW bug that's not firing on all cylinders.

They sound like someone lugging a 2 stroke v8 diesel to me.

HA! A 2-stroke diesel? That's not a common sound anymore, unless you're talking about a locomotive engine!

I understand they used to be common in tractor-trailers.

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
Nice writeup on your ride! I can't see the pics at the moment, but I think you mentioned before that it is dark grey like my FXT.
Your oil temps sound completely normal, similar to my summer temps with a similar engine. I think some FXT drivers that live further South than me mentioned getting up to 230 on really hot days and they didn't worry about it.
Your revs in 6th do sound high, I was stuck with the CVT in the FXT and I think I'm around 2500 at my 75-80 cruising speeds. At least you don't have to deal with the CVT lag, most FXT drivers blame the tranny for their cars not launching particularly well...and, rumor is the WRX CVT has much less lag. Guess Subaru figured that FXT drivers would mostly be soccer moms and elderly gents who might spill their drinks if their car took off too quickly. Turning trac control off and rolling out a bit helps if possible, but I am not inclined to do the brake boosting that all the car mags seemed to do to get their 6.2-6.4s 0-60 times with the FXT. I'm sure you will be closer to 5s with your manual WRX when you are ready to really get on it!
Anyway, glad you like your ride and I hope you enjoy it in good health and safety for a long time to come!

Yeah, I really don't like it this warm, especially as I'm not even driving it all that aggressively, and our temps have only been in the low-mid 60s. Hate to think what it will be in July.

This Subaru/Idemitsu FF is known to quickly turn to pee water in these engines, though it does have a good-sized dose of moly.

Can't wait to drain it. I'm thinking about either PP 10W-30 (the cheap Walmart option but it's 4.7% NOACK!), M1 ESP, or the new PP Euro LX 0W-30 (200+ VI!) that CATERHAM suggested.

Originally Posted By: pbm

Very nice car and write up.

I'm too polite to ask what you paid for it....so I'll ask how much under list you got it for?

I don't mind.

MSRP was $28,061, Dealer Invoice was $26,300 (according to their paperwork), and I bought for $26,000 minus a $500 Subaru "Ambassador Voucher", for a total of $25,500 before tax/title.

If anyone else is interested in the Subaru Ambassador Voucher, I did a write-up on it in the "Product Sales, Rebates and Promotions" section.

How is the insurance? I suspect they charge quite a premium for this one vs an Accord V6 ? Is this treated as a boy racer car by them?

Enjoy! My still loves her "grown" up wrx in a 2005 Legacy gt wagon 5mt. Still a hoot to drive with 200k miles and she/I still smile spooling up the turbo engine.

The rally part you'll understand once/if you end up on gravel. Our family place was a 1000' elevation climb on twisty gravel roads over a few
miles long. Absolute hoot to drive to grandma's!

Originally Posted By: pbm

Very nice car and write up.

I'm too polite to ask what you paid for it....so I'll ask how much under list you got it for?

I don't mind.

MSRP was $28,061, Dealer Invoice was $26,300 (according to their paperwork), and I bought for $26,000 minus a $500 Subaru "Ambassador Voucher", for a total of $25,500
before tax/title.

If anyone else is interested in the Subaru Ambassador Voucher, I did a write-up on it in the "Product Sales, Rebates and Promotions" section.

I think you did very well....Good Luck with that beauty....

Originally Posted By: Olas
If you're pleased with it then You made the right choice
smile.gif

Did they have a 22B at the dealers?

What's that?

It's widely regarded as the best Impreza there is. I ask because in my area there is a Ford dealer with a Model T, a Porsche dealer with a 959, a Ferrari dealer with a 288 and until fairly recently there was a Chrysler dealer with a Viper.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
How is the insurance? I suspect they charge quite a premium for this one vs an Accord V6 ? Is this treated as a boy racer car by them?

Not sure if they treat it as a boy racer-mobile, but I'm paying $581/yr. for the WRX and $542/yr. for my Tacoma, through Traveler's. Supposedly I'm getting discounts for combining the truck and the car policy, as well as being a good driver (no accidents or tickets on my record), and for being a "good payer". Guess they check my credit history. I was with GEICO for about 10 years, but decided to shop around and see if I could beat their rates when I bought the WRX.

I had heard ads for an agency in Nashville called Zander Insurance, and their claim to fame is that they shop a dozen different providers for the best rate. They beat GEICO by a little bit, so I went with them.

Does that sound like a fair price for the insurance to y'all? I'm 36, nothing on my record. 100K/300K on liability, 100K prop. damage, 100K/300K uninsured motorist, 100K uninsured motorist prop. damage, 5K med. payments, comp. ded. 500/500, Collision ded. 500/500, rental: 30 days/$900 max, roadside assistance 15/15.

Now I'm interested to hear what some of you are paying!

Originally Posted By: madRiver
Enjoy! My still loves her "grown" up wrx in a 2005 Legacy gt wagon 5mt. Still a hoot to drive with 200k miles and she/I still smile spooling up the turbo engine.

The rally part you'll understand once/if you end up on gravel. Our family place was a 1000' elevation climb on twisty gravel roads over a few

Always really liked the look of those cars. Very Japanese styling, for sure! They're unique.

Does it have the same engine as the WRX?

If you're pleased with it then You made the right choice
smile.gif

Did they have a 22B at the dealers?

What's that?

It's widely regarded as the best Impreza there is. I ask because in my area there is a Ford dealer with a Model T, a Porsche dealer with a 959, a Ferrari dealer with a 288 and until fairly recently there was a Chrysler dealer with a Viper.

That must be the little 2-door. I've not seen one in person.

I actually never set foot in a dealer during this whole process.

I doubt Nashville Subaru has one. They have a pretty bad reputation as far as customer service, and in the couple of times I've sent out e-mails asking for quotes, they've never offered anywhere close to a good deal. Their service dept. also had a bad rep. Dreading having to take the car there if I ever have a warranty issue.

One time about a year ago, I went in there to test drive a 2015 WRX. I walked up to the sales manager's desk and waited for him to look up from the computer and acknowledge me. Stood there for several minutes before he even looked up. He kinda blew me off when I asked for a quote. Needless to say, not impressed with them at all.

The rally part you'll understand once/if you end up on gravel!

Man, as low as this thing sits, and as susceptible to damage as the lower panels and bodywork seem, I'd hate to ever have to take this car on gravel!

I do kinda "get" the AWD a little more, now, after driving the car a bit more. That turbo comes on really strong, and I can see how you could get a lot more traction coming out of the corners while driving aggressively on a backroad or on the track, even on dry pavement.

Always really liked the look of those cars. Very Japanese styling, for sure! They're unique.

A civilized version (different tune) of the 2.5 Ej255 turbo motor (wrx, sti, forester) putting down 250hp/250 ft lbs torque. Sadly that factory tune lead to a burned valve that tuned legacy/outback don't have.

A civilized version (different tune) of the 2.5 Ej255 turbo motor (wrx, sti, forester) putting down 250hp/250 ft lbs torque. Sadly that factory tune lead to a burned valve that tuned legacy/outback don't have.

Too lean from the factory for emissions?

That is an excellent price for the insurance! Looks like this car is being treated as grown-up car!!

That is an excellent price for the insurance! Looks like this car is being treated as grown-up car!!

Thanks. Good to know I'm getting a decent deal on insurance.

As far as "being treated as a grown-up car", wouldn't the driver have more to do with it?

I'm sure the fact that I'm 36 and nothing on my record has a lot to do with my rates. Around 36 is kinda the point at which they start looking at you as an actual adult, I think!

I'm thinking (in fact, I know) the rates would be a lot higher for a 20-year-old.

As far as "being treated as a grown-up car", wouldn't the driver have more to do with it?

I'm sure the fact that I'm 36 and nothing on my record has a lot to do with my rates. Around 36 is kinda the point at which they start looking at you as an actual adult, I think!

I'm thinking (in fact, I know) the rates would be a lot higher for a 20-year-old.
My insurance is $960 a year for my 2000 Toyota Camry, no collision or comprehensive coverage, which means no glass or rental coverage. Same insurance limits as you though. I'm 21 with a spotless driving record.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994

My insurance is $960 a year for my 2000 Toyota Camry, no collision or comprehensive coverage, which means no glass or rental coverage. Same insurance limits as you though. I'm 21 with a spotless driving record.

That's crazy, Nick. I remember getting some absolutely crazy quotes for insurance on my R1s when I bought them back in the 2000s, when I was in my mid-20s. I mean, it was like, thousands of dollars a year (like 3-4K) for full coverage. Obviously I could only afford liability, and, yes, I did crash all my bikes (it's inevitable with motorcycles).

Call Zander Insurance and let them shop around for you and get those rates beat. Who are you with now?

The mere fact that you're 21 and on this board shows me that you're a lot smarter than the average 21-year-old.

I'm with State Farm, very happy with them and their prices.

Yeah I'm one of the youngest on here lol.

As you found out the rev-hang is for emmisisons. you can almost entirely mitigate it by technique.

lift off gas
wait split second
then clutch/shift

Also it will drop rpm 2-3x faster if the A/C is on vs off.

205 is a completely normal oil temp.

My FB25 likes to sit around 208 on long drives at 65-70.

Last summer driving back for 2 hours around 80mph+ in a convoy.
I hit 234F oil temp... and I don't even have a turbo.

You definitely want a "thick" 30wt. IF you are doing m1 you could always sub in 1 or 2 quarts of 0w40.

The FA20DIT has Direct injection and Turbo so it can see some fuel dilution.

Around here statefarm beats travelers insurance by 10% or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back