Bottle of Lubegard Red in my '03 Passat W8 auto

MolaKule has weighed in several times on this and confirmed there are no negatives to Lubegard Red, and it is one of the only additives or oils I’ve seen him recommend- and Lubegard Red is even approved for use by several OEMs. It’s the Lubegard Black & especially Lubegard Platinum that affect FMs & shifting.

"LUBEGARD® Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid Protectant is a concentrated additive package infused with superior seal conditioners and friction modifiers. This unique product restores additive content to used ATF and enhances new ATF resulting in improved performance and smoother, more consistent shifting."

"Softens and modifies harsh shifts making them quicker in duration"

To me, those statements indicate some impact on the frictional properties of the fluid. Some transmissions may respond favorably, others may not. I see no reason to add these types of snake oil.

combined with the OEM approvals pretty much seal the deal on its performance. ✌️
What OEM approval? I have not seen any evidence of Lubegard being approved by OEM's, at least not for any "modern" fluid within the last decade.

What I would love to do to this thing is hook it up to one of those machines that circulates ATF/additive/flush until it's clean as it runs/you shift through the gears to get it in every nook/cranny then cleaned out and new fluid. Fluid changes really help older autos in my experience. This auto was supposed to have been replaced at some point as was noted by the seller in the auction but I have no record of it and that sticky shift says otherwise. The torque converters are problematic on these ZF 5-spd autos in the application b/c as I understand it, the W8 torque was really more than this trans (used on lower torque applications) was meant for. When I got this car at the end of 2020 and put in the shop for a full go-over/maintenance/etc. I had them change the fluid/filter so it's somewhat fresh now but probably should do a 3x drain/fill...such a freakin' PITA with no lift and a sealed tranny.

They’ve changed their post. iIRC at least the Big 3 and Honda were on the list at one point. I’ll keep looking… it’s here on the board somewhere.
What would be odd about that is they would be approving an additive. To my knowledge they only approve the ATF itself, and even then it is very few manufacturers that do that. Most are specifications.

This is all I found - not much

6210F78C-8038-4831-A64E-06CF02392649.png

What would be odd about that is they would be approving an additive. To my knowledge they only approve the ATF itself, and even then it is very few manufacturers that do that. Most are specifications.
I just emailed their fluid engineer and asked about any current OEM approvals. I’ll post up the discourse after he replies.

I have found LG to change friction properties a good bit, and it works by then allowing the TCU to adjust its shift pressures. To that end, the best advice I can give is use much, much less than it calls for, and see how that affects things. If you like it, add a splash more.

it absolutely fixed the 10r80 problems in my f150, all of them, hands down, with 10% of the recommended dose. It did made shift flares worse in other applications I’ve tried. I’ve seen it do amazing things with TC shudder.

I have found LG to change friction properties a good bit, and it works by then allowing the TCU to adjust its shift pressures. To that end, the best advice I can give is use much, much less than it calls for, and see how that affects things. If you like it, add a splash more.

it absolutely fixed the 10r80 problems in my f150, all of them, hands down, with 10% of the recommended dose. It did made shift flares worse in other applications I’ve tried. I’ve seen it do amazing things with TC shudder.
Used the whole bottle which was the recommended dose of 1oz LG per 1 qt ATF.

This is all I found - not much

View attachment 119883
The use of MM in these cases by the manufacturers of these products is misleading; the MM is used all the time out of the orginal intent/context w/r to aftermarket performance parts, additives, etc. MM basically says you can use aftermarket parts as long as they meet the manufaturer's requirements/specs/etc. So VW can't "void" my warranty b/c they find a Fram oil filter in my engine after it throws a rod, same with the oil...M1 as long as it meets the right approval is ok. The intent was to make it so that auto manufacturers can't force customers to use their products/services as a requisite for warranty coverage. I don't believe this additive would fall into that category as almost all OEs say "no additives" but how the @!#$#@ would they even know you weer running it unless you told them? Further, why would you run this in a car that was newer/under warranty anyway? If the auto was having issues while under warranty to push an owner to use this product, you'd just get it repaired under warranty.

Lubegard Red is among the very few additives that is not snake oil. It does what they say it does. I have been using it for years.
I know several respected transmission shops that install it with every rebuild that goes out their door. They all say that using it has reduced their comebacks substantially.
The worst case scenario is that it doesn't solve your problem. In my experience it won't make things worse.

The use of MM in these cases by the manufacturers of these products is misleading; the MM is used all the time out of the orginal intent/context w/r to aftermarket performance parts, additives, etc. MM basically says you can use aftermarket parts as long as they meet the manufaturer's requirements/specs/etc. So VW can't "void" my warranty b/c they find a Fram oil filter in my engine after it throws a rod, same with the oil...M1 as long as it meets the right approval is ok. The intent was to make it so that auto manufacturers can't force customers to use their products/services as a requisite for warranty coverage. I don't believe this additive would fall into that category as almost all OEs say "no additives" but how the @!#$#@ would they even know you weer running it unless you told them? Further, why would you run this in a car that was newer/under warranty anyway? If the auto was having issues while under warranty to push an owner to use this product, you'd just get it repaired under warranty.
Yeah - I know all that

Lubegard Red is among the very few additives that is not snake oil. It does what they say it does. I have been using it for years.
I know several respected transmission shops that install it with every rebuild that goes out their door. They all say that using it has reduced their comebacks substantially.
The worst case scenario is that it doesn't solve your problem. In my experience it won't make things worse.
Agree/that's what I found by my research. Not sure why some folks are calling it snake oil/saying it will cause issues.

I just emailed their fluid engineer and asked about any current OEM approvals. I’ll post up the discourse after he replies.
Date: Thu, Oct 6, 2022 at 10:47 AM
Subject: Re: Lubegard Red ATF Protectant

Hello Chris -- Last one I remember was one in 2008 and was from Subaru concerning the use of the HFM to prevent driveline shudder. Needless to say, GM isn't endorsing the Platinum for the 8-speed shudder problem but it has become a common "go-to" for those looking for a solution that doesn't involve $500 fluid services. When they do use the products to solve problems these days it seems to becomes something they do but don't talk about or endorse. Some things never change. -- Pat Burrow

Pat, several years ago I believe Lubegard had a list of the OEM approvals for this additive, yet the newer product page only references a 30-year old Saab approval. Are there any current OEM approvals of this product? Thanks!

Chris

If they come up with an approval I’ll be ve
Date: Thu, Oct 6, 2022 at 10:47 AM
Subject: Re: Lubegard Red ATF Protectant

Hello Chris -- Last one I remember was one in 2008 and was from Subaru concerning the use of the HFM to prevent driveline shudder. Needless to say, GM isn't endorsing the Platinum for the 8-speed shudder problem but it has become a common "go-to" for those looking for a solution that doesn't involve $500 fluid services. When they do use the products to solve problems these days it seems to becomes something they do but don't talk about or endorse. Some things never change. -- Pat Burrow

Pat, several years ago I believe Lubegard had a list of the OEM approvals for this additive, yet the newer product page only references a 30-year old Saab approval. Are there any current OEM approvals of this product? Thanks!

Chris
Yeah okay. Last one seems to be the only one. That’s not a surprise.

We had a 2007 Saab 95 TID which had a Aisin Warner AW55-50 that had a few weird changes, delayed shifts and the occasional random flare.

I did a load of drain & fills and the last fill I added a bottle of Lubegaurd Red. It took ~500miles or so but the gearbox ended up running perfectly.

If I had an auto in the fleet right now, I'd be running the Lubegaurd Red permanently.

Back