Seafoam, my long time experiance with it & directions

Status
Not open for further replies.
30 to 40. A lot of engines do 30.

quote:

It would cause the engine to stop because it would put the fire out

If the mixture lowers the lower explosive limit of the fuel, the fire will go out. That does NOT mean the enigne immediately stops spinning. It will free-wheel, sucking more and more in until it stops. And that assumes it wasn't enoguh to hydrolock the engine nearly instantly, which is a fairly common affair.

quote:

You could run an Earthling garden hose full blast into a medium sized engine turning 1000 rpm and not come close to hydrolock.

Ya... You go do that, I'd love to see it.
rolleyes.gif

It takes 40-60cc of fluid in one chamber at one time to hydrolock the majority of car enignes on the market. It has a tendancy of happening fairly often with home made CAI's mounted low on cars.
If you would have paid attention, yes, someone has hydrolocked an idling snapping a rod by dropping a vacuum line into the can. That's a MAXIMUM of 2 cups of fluid, not a garden hose.
It snapped a rod that is fairly beefy for an N/A v6 rod. Known to stand up to over 500bhp. (So we're not talking a puny rod either!)

As the man said: What planet are you on? It is a physical impossibility to attain a vacuum of 40 in/hg anywhere on Earth. A perfect theoretical vacuum would be only 29.92 in/hg and would require a pressure reduction equal to the standard pressure of the Earth's atmosphere at 59F. Even the vacuum of space can't be more than 29.92. You can't change the laws of physics my friend.

There is no apparatus on the planet that could do 30, let alone 40. And certainly no engine that could do 30. The lowest pressure ever accomplished was around 29.50 in/hg and that was done using special equipment. Don't they teach basic science down there in Bama?
wink.gif

[ October 15, 2005, 10:39 PM: Message edited by: chenobylite ]

quote:

Originally posted by chenobylite:
As the man said: What planet are you on? It is a physical impossibility to attain a vacuum of 40 in/hg anywhere on Earth.

It must really suck where he lives
lol.gif

Ha, I wish I had come up with that
smile.gif

Is he also implying there are only 40-60 CCs of volume remaining in a cylinder at TDC? I dunno but that seems mighty small to me, even in a high compression engine.

quote:

Ha, I wish I had come up with that
smile.gif

Is he also implying there are only 40-60 CCs of volume remaining in a cylinder at TDC? I dunno but that seems mighty small to me, even in a high compression engine.

The volume is about reasonable. 50 cc with a 9:1 compression ratio would be a 400 cc Cylinder, or a 1600cc 4 cylinder engine.

You can play around with the CR and number of cylinders to get a bunch of other realistic engine sizes.

Don't be so hard on the guy. He is just confused with in. H2O vs in. Hg. As far as the volume left in a cylinder lets calculate it.

3.0l V6

3/6 = 0.5 liter per cylinder

1000cc/liter

0.5 * 1000 = 500cc

10:1 compression ratio.

500/10 = 50cc.

Sounds like he was right on with the 40-60cc comment.

Yes I'm confused. =)
About every modern combustion chamber falls somewhere between 40-60cc.
The about all are 50-60cc, with the majority of those being( atleast in the Toyota world) 54, 55, or 56cc. (That's across like 20-25 years, & a couple dozen engines)
My personal v6 seen above is only a 9.6:1 CR engine - 54cc combustion chamber on the stock gasket.

He's confusing Hg with H20? Do you have any idea how many inches of H20 30 inches of Hg is? That ain't confusion, that's drowning
wink.gif

quote:

He's confusing Hg with H20? Do you have any idea how many inches of H20 30 inches of Hg is? That ain't confusion, that's drowning
wink.gif

That doesn't fit either, idle vacuum is more like 14-18 in-Hg, that increases to about 13.5 times as many inches when mesured with H2O. I tried to relate his numbers to some reality, but couldn't find one.

Yeah, that was my point. 1 ATM is about 33 feet of water so it couldn't have been confusion with H20.
I guess it really does suck where he lives
wink.gif

hehe (completely off topic...we need a special flag for that).

back in the good old days, I was commissioning engineer for a hydrogen plant, and one of the items commissioned was a vacuum pump.

The OEM's technician was there to run it up, and it only made -86kPa. He was shocked...it made -92kPa when it was test run down in Sydney.

I said that I'd accept the pump, but he wouldn't wear it. Leapt in with spanners afly, removing shims from the head gaskets, lapping valves and seats etc.

after a day's work, and the thing still wouldn't do more then -86kPa, he asked if I still stood by my offer of acceptance...I did.

Ok, I want to try the FP or Seafoam directly into the TB routine. How thin of a hose would you use (inside diameter), and how long should it be to keep from hydolocking?

I use to have a V6 Mercury Capri (1977), and I used to do this sort of thing regularly. I had spliced in an in-line fuel filter (in addition to the stock filter), so I would just unscrew the in-line filter (letting the pressurized gas flow into a pan), stick the end of the hose that was connected to the TB into the can of seafoam, start the car, and run till empty. I never took off valve covers or anything, but the car always ran beautifully after that.

Suppose I could do the same now with my 1995 Saab, but I'd rather not mess around with splicing in new filters or disconnect any pressurized lines. Getting old, I guess.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Sounds like you were drawing straight seafoam into your carb & actually running off of it. That's hillarious!?

Just get the engine warm (drive it around the block), pour out 1/2 a cup into something else, pull off your brake booster & drop that in the cup. If it stalls, great. If it doesn't shut it off. Let it sit 10min & crank it.
Let it idle afew min so it smokes & dies down, then take it for a drive & let the smoke die out.

Just keep in mind going through the intake will do the piston faces & general combustino chamber areas. For the oil, you gotta go through the crankcase. That's obvious tho.
wink.gif

Toysrme wrote:
"HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Sounds like you were drawing straight seafoam into your carb & actually running off of it. That's hillarious!?"

I'm not sure I get the humor, but yes, I did draw seafoam directly into the variable venturi carb, via the fuel rail and associated lines. I like to think that cleaned EVERYTHING before the injectors, at the injectors, and who knows how much combustion chamber items. But it surely cleaned everything the "fuel" went thru.

I guess what someone did in 1977-1988 could seem haha to one in 2006, but it certainly kept that Capri going and purring like a kitten for over 400,000 miles.

No I mean it's hilarious that the capri ran on it. It's the same concept as heating a gas engine's chamber up & then swapping it to run on diesel, or kerosene.

I use seafoam every year, in spring to clean things out, on my 95 plymouth neon. Plus, my local auto zone, and NAPA sells the 15 oz. can for $2.99. I normally run a can through my brake booster, followe by 1/3 a gallon of distilled water. Seafoam alwasy makes my car smoke. Ive used it in my gas tank many of times, but have had better luck with products like gumout regaine, redline, even lucas UCL> the seafoam in my gas tank, in prescribed directions, jsut like chevron techron, had little to no effect i belive. I also form time to time, use seafoam as a flush. Quite a few times, letting my car idle fo 15 - 20 minutes. All it did was thin my oil out, not as much ________ came out with it. It just seems, when i use it through my brake booster, my idle smooths out after. I also use deep crepp, seafoam is the only solvent i found, via intake, gave my engine a smooth smooth ride after. I am surently using auto-r in rinse phase now, and LOVE IT! i persoanly started with auto=rx 6 months ago, and very quickly my car gained some performance, engine seemed to like it alot! I trulye belive, auto-rx did what seafoam couldnt do:)

Anytime frank; ) And its true! no joke, after i used auto rx i was amazed at how mcuh pep my car picked up. Cant wait ot see my purolator pure one fitler, in the next 8 miles, see how much stuff it collected:)

Toysrme-

I followed the directions you said to do an my engine died after 2 ounces of seafoam. I meausured out 5 oz for a 3.8 liter engine. I unhooked the brake booster line at engine temp and I started pouring fast. The engine dies right away and I only used 2 ounces. I did not get any smoke either.

Any comments?
Can I do the same thing throught thr PCV. I have a close system PCV tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back