Seafoam, my long time experiance with it & directions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like your dumping it in too fast. Slow it down so the engine just sputters a bit and the rpms drop when you induce the Seafoam. This is why I like the spray bottle technique through the throttle; it's atomized already and doesn't stall the motor.

Hey Drew,

I tonight I poured 4 ounces in slowly and all went well. I did not see any smoke but it was also at night. I wanted to use the spray bottle technique but I have two problems.

1. my autozone does not carry the arisol version (deep creep)
2. My MAF sensor is incorporated into the throttle body.
I do not know if seafoam will damage my MAF sensory and I do not want to risk it as it cost some $150 for a new one.

Is there a way I could use a spray bottle and not damage the MAF sensor?

I have a 2001 GM 3800 engine. Can I remove the PVC and slowly pour it in there to get the front cylinders?

Thanks
Brian

I think I know why your car sputtered and died with the brake booster method; too much air past the MAF sensor being drawn into the engine. To eliminate that, simply unhook the electrical connection for the MAF sensor; this will trip the check engine light but it will allow the engine to run. Just unhook the negative cable on the battery to rid the check engine light after you're done. That's if you want to use the brake booster method.

Do you have Advanced Auto near you? They sell Deep Creep. With Deep Creep and the extension tube, you can spray it in through the throttle. I did it this way with my mom's Olds 88 3.8L (identical to your motor). Just make sure the tube is well past the MAF sensor; you will get a coating on the backside of it most likely but the hotwire for the sensor is facing the airflow stream towards the inlet of the throttle body and the plastic housing you see is hollow so air goes in it past the hotwire and exits at the bottom. ie, if you don;t douse it you'll be fine.

I've learned that the engines have to be totally at operating temp. Not like a 10 minute drive, but at least 30 to 45 minutes of sustained driving to get it ht enough to smoke. I dunno if that actually means more cleaning is going on or the stuff is just smoking! But it will smoke if you spray the whole can in at fast idle on a dead hot motor and let it sit about 5 minutes, then go race some Civics or something - you'll see smoke most likely!
cheers.gif

Or, you could run 2 consecutive tanks of Redline SL-1, which IMO would be as or more beneficial in cleaning the combustion chambers along with the injectors.

After running 2 full strength doses in my Corolla, it took more carbon off the piston tops (not more than Seafoam, just a more that Seafoam left behind). I'm now starting to be bale to see shiny metal on the piston tops but with the high oil consumption, it's right back there after a week or two of highway driving. Hopefully the BG Quick Clean ridded the ring packs of crud and this cycle will slow or stop.

So, it's best to put Seafoam in with new oil? Then change it at the regular 5k OCI? Or would it be better to do it near the end of an OCI and replace it with fresh oil.

Putting Seafoam in the oil means driving on thinned oil with dissloved sludge floating around until the SF evaporates and re-deposits the sludge evenly. Use solvent in the oil with old used oil at idle for 10 min and DRAIN to get the dissloved sludge OUT.

Granted, I'm not an oil wiz, and I only read here occasionally, but I thought I would add, I ran 1/2 a can of Seafoam through a vac line, and dumped the other half in the crankcase on my 3.5L Kia. At this point, I had about 2700 miles on that oil. I then ran it 200 more miles, and changed the oil. I sent a sample of that oil (Motorcraft 5w20) in to be analyzed, and it came back showing nothing out of the ordinary, of any sort. This UOA is posted in the UOA section here.

What this means to me is, in 200 miles, what I was left with was just oil. Normal oil. Not Seafoam mixed with oil. Whatever Seafoam does when you add it to the crankcase must not last very long.. unless whatever it contains doesn't show up on a normal UOA. Suggesting it's necessary to go an entire OCI before changing it just because you added Seafoam seems pretty unnecessary based on this.

Quote:

In response to those of you saying you used Auto-RX with no effect and THEN used Seafoam or whatever solvent brand; I say that the initial RX cleaning did more than you realize and made the final observed cleaning on Auto-RX's earlier chemical hard work. Auto-Rx has to get to the troubled areas too, it is not a fuel side cleaner.

I have been testing oils and adds for a long time ( independently) and Auto-RX and Lubecontrol are the only two products I normally mention publicly for a reason.

Yes I use spray higher flash solvents for cleaning surface stuff but for deep safe cleaning in the engine,trans,gearbox AUTO-RX is the perfect tool.

LC and FP can be used in fuel side areas and performs BETTER than the products mentioned above. Per ounce cost is less than most the off the shelf solvents too.

I initially applied Seafoam into a 84 Ford 302 with serious EGR soot/sludge deposits and Seafoam failed. Until I used Auto-RX in the crankcase with LC/FP sucked into every intake/carb/vaccum orafice I could find , did the engine run properly.

Some mechanical cleaning was required in the EGR ports in the intake and that was when I was able to view the Seafoam lack of cleaning as it had been poured and sprayed( deep creep).

Your water wash was most of the cleaning Toysrme.

I do agree that Seafoam would work well to inhibit the corrosive after affect of the water cleaning.

Toysrme, appreciate your first post but I had to share what I have seen on this issue.

so, for my 92 Galant SOHC 2.0, 142k miles, NO sludge (from what i see through the oil cap LOL) but a slight valve tick, which would you all recommend:
1) Marvel Mystery Oil, 1 QT when she's low, about 1k miles before my oil change is due (great time to do it, with temps near zero)
2) sea foam in the oil (aleady did the brake booster treatment)
3) auto-rx
4) other?

I'm leaning towards #1, but i'm just being lazy.

Quote:

You've almost got it.
The carbon filled pic was from last winter when I rebuilt the enigne.
Correct - I left the pistons ditry to see what would happen.

The engine was Seafoamed several time in March/April to clean carbon out in preperation for force induction. The engine ran a month before I took it back apart - so I'm sure there is a tiny bit more coloration around the exhaust valves & on the pistons than would have been if it was fresh.
(I'm human, deal with it LoL!)

The engine has been hipo N/A, turboed, hipo N/A, turboed, and back to hipo N/A since April/May. Anytime it was turboed, I was running a lot of on boost water injection.

I took pics just to compair & contrast.

The water injection pic of the chamber was from right after the last time I was running water injection, before they could "dirty back up".

For the astute, that particular chamber was having a light ping (the things we do in the quest for go-fast!) in the second half of August before I took the turbo back off. See the black stain comming from the intake valve? That's where the pre-ignition was from. =)

did you dump the seafoam in the crankcase or suck it in via booster line?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back