Bosch 3422 (PL20195) & Mopar 0FE00308 cut open

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've said it before, and I'll say it again: The largest issue behind media tearing is customers getting screwed by being charged for a good product, and receiving a defective one instead.

Don't advertise efficiency claims, and charge people for these "benefits" and then deliver garbage.

Another product of tearolator.

15.gif

Are you the first owner of the Lexus?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HKPolice
Wrong analogy. The bathtub itself is water tight, filter media is NOT.

Not as far off as you seem to think. Oil will flow much, much more easily through an open hole than through intact media.

I'm surprised Z06 isn't all over this thread yet. Even though this was a failed filter, I find it interesting that it took the most severe conditions to cause it and it was only one rip. I feel like that could have happened to any conventional media filter and that the fact that there was only one little rip shows the quality is getting better in a way.

I've stayed pretty neutral about the whole tearolator hate train because I think while tears are bad, it's not significant enough to cause much of a bypass because the tears only account for maybe 0.01% of the total surface area on the filter media.

1 tear @ the top of the filter with a wide V spacing pleat. The bottom of that same pleat is narrow and didn't tear, rest of the filter looks perfect.

I still have a Bosch 3422 filter left and will probably still use it, but won't be buying Purolator again.

Synopsis: I thought the tearing issue was all "hogwash", but now that it actually happened to me I'm not gonna use Purolators anymore.

Some song heard many times. Looks like another entry into the torn filter spread sheet. jk_636, you not have to find an additional 100 good Purolators to keep that 1% failure rate alive.
grin.gif

I'm going to take the nonsense z06 stance on this filter. It's old stock it doesn't count and therefore can't go on on the spreadsheet.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SilverC6
I watched a guy buy a handful of $3.27 Purolators at Walmart last evening.

Obviously not a BITOG reader. Wonder what he would have said/done if you said those are prone to failure in use.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

Obviously not a BITOG reader. Wonder what he would have said/done if you said those are prone to failure in use.

Would have laughed and walked away while thinking "what a [censored]..." Just like so many here think when they hear people squabble over Purolator classics.

Originally Posted By: jk_636
I'm surprised Z06 isn't all over this thread yet. Even though this was a failed filter, I find it interesting that it took the most severe conditions to cause it and it was only one rip. I feel like that could have happened to any conventional media filter and that the fact that there was only one little rip shows the quality is getting better in a way.

If it "could have happened to any conventional media filter", then were are they all with tears? Only ones we ever see are Purolator made filters.

LOL, it was only a little tear, so the quality is getting better ... OMG, that is hilarious ... thanks for the
crackmeup2.gif

Would have laughed and walked away while thinking "what a [censored]..." Just like so many here think when they hear people squabble over Purolator classics.

Yeah, he would be just another dude in the dark.
grin.gif

I'm going to take the nonsense z06 stance on this filter. It's old stock it doesn't count and therefore can't go on on the spreadsheet.

Lame try
wink.gif
... any torn filter is a torn filter.

^^^ You will be bitten by the FRAMpires and forget all about those Tearolators!
grin.gif

vampires.jpg

Looks familiar. Is that your Fram company ID photo?

It is ... look into my eyes
mghypnotized.gif
... you are getting sleepy
mghypnotized.gif
... you are liking the Fram Ultra more and more
mghypnotized.gif
... you despise junk quality like the Tearolator.

I've stayed pretty neutral about the whole tearolator hate train because I think while tears are bad, it's not significant enough to cause much of a bypass because the tears only account for maybe 0.01% of the total surface area on the filter media.

1 tear @ the top of the filter with a wide V spacing pleat. The bottom of that same pleat is narrow and didn't tear, rest of the filter looks perfect.

I still have a Bosch 3422 filter left and will probably still use it, but won't be buying Purolator again.

Synopsis: I thought the tearing issue was all "hogwash", but now that it actually happened to me I'm not gonna use Purolators anymore.

Some song heard many times. Looks like another entry into the torn filter spread sheet. jk_636, you not have to find an additional 100 good Purolators to keep that 1% failure rate alive.
grin.gif

Wrong. I knew about the tearing issue before buying the filters on clearance @ Walmart about a year ago. The main reason I'm not buying Purolator again is because Walmart stopped carrying them and there are no other major retailers selling them in Canada. I'm not scared by the tearing because I know it doesn't affect overall filtering ability.

If Walmart were still selling these @ clearance pricing I'd get more. They were $5 each, compared to $11 for Fram Toughguards with cardboard end caps. Fram Ultras are $13.5 each up here.

^^^ Cool ... enjoy the cheapo Tearolators.
grin.gif

How much is Fram paying you to troll these forums? Can we get a ban on this guy?

Wow, really? I sincerely meant it ... enjoy whatever you chose to use.

Yeah, ban a guy because he likes good quality filters.
crackmeup2.gif

Wrong. I knew about the tearing issue before buying the filters on clearance @ Walmart about a year ago. The main reason I'm not buying Purolator again is because Walmart stopped carrying them and there are no other major retailers selling them in Canada. I'm not scared by the tearing because I know it doesn't affect overall filtering ability.

If Walmart were still selling these @ clearance pricing I'd get more. They were $5 each, compared to $11 for Fram Toughguards with cardboard end caps. Fram Ultras are $13.5 each up here.

A tear in the media does affect filtering ability. Doesn't mean it's 0% though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back