Bosch 3422 (PL20195) & Mopar 0FE00308 cut open

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've stayed pretty neutral about the whole tearolator hate train because I think while tears are bad, it's not significant enough to cause much of a bypass because the tears only account for maybe 0.01% of the total surface area on the filter media.

Anyways, the Bosch 3422 was used on a Lexus ES330 /w around 100k miles for close to 9K KM (around 5.6k miles) over the last 6 months with lots of cold starts everyday and short tripping. PP 5w20 was used and engine doesn't burn any oil or have sludge.

5K5ZGAF.jpg

oP4ZQ16.jpg

Th08bBG.jpg

9NdkYLo.jpg

1 tear @ the top of the filter with a wide V spacing pleat. The bottom of that same pleat is narrow and didn't tear, rest of the filter looks perfect. Silicon ADBV is factory fresh super pliable. Can someone translate the date stamp?

Mopar 0FE00308 (similar to L14476) which looks like is also made by purolator using the same top bypass mechanism as the Motorcraft filters. Used on a Toyota Matrix 1ZZ-FE /w 85k miles for unknown miles, probably around 5-6K. Got the car used recently and changed all the fluids because all of them looked overdue. No oil burning AFAIK.

0dYs1dj.jpg

UVKQBWm.jpg

H2XP16l.jpg

Slight sludge at the bottom of the filter but not much else going on, no tears anywhere just wavy pleats. Nitrile ADBV is very stiff but it doesn't really matter for this particular engine since the filter hangs down from the block so there is always oil in it.

I used the exhaust pipe cutter from Princess Auto which wasn't ideal because the cutting wheels have room to wiggle which causes a very wide area to be cut. Going forward I'll probably try to get some washers for the wheels.

I still have a Bosch 3422 filter left and will probably still use it, but won't be buying Purolator again. IMO, the ADBV is more important than 1-2 tears if the filter is mounted sideways on the block. I've seen a few videos of engines ticking at start up because of cra.ppy ADBV in filters. Exception being an engine with sludge, then tears are a bigger factor.

Album is here if you want to see the pics in full res: http://imgur.com/a/rCQJP

Originally Posted By: HKPolice
I've stayed pretty neutral about the whole tearolator hate train because I think while tears are bad, it's not significant enough to cause much of a bypass because the tears only account for maybe 0.01% of the total surface area on the filter media.

That sounds reasonable, but I have a hard time believing that fluid won't seek the least path of resistance, and pour through that hole at a much faster rate than the rest of the filter.

Originally Posted By: JerryBob

That sounds reasonable, but I have a hard time believing that fluid won't seek the least path of resistance, and pour through that hole at a much faster rate than the rest of the filter.

Yes of course more than 0.01% of the oil will go through the tear, but even if the effect was multiplied by 10x, that's still only 0.1% of the total oil flow getting bypassed.

0% is better than 0.1% but unless the engine is really really sludged, it doesn't matter over a single OCI. For sure, Fram Ultra & Wix filters are better though because they rarely tear.

12-12 for the Bosch filter?

The Mopar looks pretty good. The Canadian Mopars are WIX made IIRC. *It actually seems comparable to the Napa ProSelect.
21.gif

Last edited:

Yes of course more than 0.01% of the oil will go through the tear, but even if the effect was multiplied by 10x, that's still only 0.1% of the total oil flow getting bypassed.

0% is better than 0.1% but unless the engine is really really sludged, it doesn't matter over a single OCI. For sure, Fram Ultra & Wix filters are better though because they rarely tear.

I think that's pure speculation. How do you know that 50% of the oil isn't going through the tear? How about the case where I had 4 tears?

Originally Posted By: dlundblad

The Mopar looks pretty good. The Canadian Mopars are WIX made IIRC. *It actually seems comparable to the Napa ProSelect.
21.gif

Ya I think you're right, its probably a Wix but with the cheapest Nitrile ADBV available. I've also never seen Wix filters with such thin & wavy pleats.

Originally Posted By: Nate1979

I think that's pure speculation. How do you know that 50% of the oil isn't going through the tear? How about the case where I had 4 tears?

Because physics. Use some common sense. There is a finite amount of oil flow that can get through such tiny holes. It's easier for the oil to pass through the media once the hole's flow rate has been maxed. Try getting different sized straws and blowing through them as hard as you can and you'll see how much easier it is with a bigger straw.

Unless the filter media is semi clogged with sludge/debris then more oil will flow through the holes and maybe even force it bigger.

21.gif

Ya I think you're right, its probably a Wix but with the cheapest Nitrile ADBV available. I've also never seen Wix filters with such thin & wavy pleats.

Does this filter have a base end bypass?

21.gif

I just compared the bypass with Wix filters and they're identical, the coil spring is also another Wix trademark. I thought Motorcraft were the only ones using top end bypass valves but I guess most Wix filters do as well.

I have no comments about them tearing either, I have used them before but why use one even if had it chance of tearing? Even if its 0.01% surface area. I would prefer 0. That would be like using a coffee filter with a tear in it and saying its only 0.01% of the surface area, only a little grounds are ok. Any filter failure if ran to correct OCI is not ok IMO.
27.gif

21.gif

I just compared the bypass with Wix filters and they're identical, the coil spring is also another Wix trademark. I thought Motorcraft were the only ones using top end bypass valves but I guess most Wix filters do as well.

Yeah WIX does base end bypass too. The Napa ProSelect and Silver (Oreilly MicroGard) lines use the combo bypass/ ADBV though so I was curious to see which style this one had.

Anyways, the Bosch 3422 was used on a Lexus ES330 /w around 100k miles for close to 9K KM (around 5.6k miles) over the last 6 months with lots of cold starts everyday and short tripping. PP 5w20 was used and engine doesn't burn any oil or have sludge.

1 tear @ the top of the filter with a wide V spacing pleat. The bottom of that same pleat is narrow and didn't tear, rest of the filter looks perfect. Silicon ADBV is factory fresh super pliable. Can someone translate the date stamp?

I used the exhaust pipe cutter from Princess Auto which wasn't ideal because the cutting wheels have room to wiggle which causes a very wide area to be cut. Going forward I'll probably try to get some washers for the wheels.

Date of mfg: 12/14/12

Look for the unofficial spokespersons for Purolator to come on here and accuse you of tearing that filter
whistle.gif

Quote:

I still have a Bosch 3422 filter left and will probably still use it, but won't be buying Purolator again. IMO, the ADBV is more important than 1-2 tears if the filter is mounted sideways on the block. I've seen a few videos of engines ticking at start up because of cra.ppy ADBV in filters. Exception being an engine with sludge, then tears are a bigger factor.

Album is here if you want to see the pics in full res: http://imgur.com/a/rCQJP

There are many other options available where you can reasonably assume a 9,000 km OCI won't result in media tearing.

Thanks for the C&P.

Originally Posted By: JBinTX30

I have no comments about them tearing either, I have used them before but why use one even if had it chance of tearing? Even if its 0.01% surface area. I would prefer 0. That would be like using a coffee filter with a tear in it and saying its only 0.01% of the surface area, only a little grounds are ok. Any filter failure if ran to correct OCI is not ok IMO.
27.gif

+1 and good analogy, by the way.

At least you show that the tearing isn't just in the Purolator brand line but extends to their others.
I don't need a filter prone to tearing when so many other good filters are on the market.

it's not significant enough to cause much of a bypass because the tears only account for maybe 0.01% of the total surface area on the filter media.

The drain in the bottom of your bathtub is only a small percentage of the total surface area of the tub, but if it's open...

Originally Posted By: zrxkawboy
it's not significant enough to cause much of a bypass because the tears only account for maybe 0.01% of the total surface area on the filter media.

The drain in the bottom of your bathtub is only a small percentage of the total surface area of the tub, but if it's open...

Wrong analogy. The bathtub itself is water tight, filter media is NOT.

I heard a rumor that Purolator fixed the problem by diverting all the old, defective stock to Canada...
08.gif

On a serious note, I'm sorry for your loss. I'm sure the short tripping and extreme weather would be hard on any filter, but I'm not making excuses. I'm glad you have been neutral until this point, but I would be very unhappy if I found a tear in my filter as well.
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: jk_636
I heard a rumor that Purolator fixed the problem by diverting all the old, defective stock to Canada...
08.gif

On a serious note, I'm sorry for your loss. I'm sure the short tripping and extreme weather would be hard on any filter, but I'm not making excuses. I'm glad you have been neutral until this point, but I would be very unhappy if I found a tear in my filter as well.
frown.gif

They did, but Walmart Canada sent them right back to the US . Now they only carry FRAM
grin.gif

Compare the size of the tear to the inlet connection at the filter base. In my estimation when I had 4 tears the size was equal to the inlet. So the pressure drop to go through the tears would be minimal and no need to go thru the more restrictive filter media. Even worse will be at startup when viscosity is highest and pressure drop across the media would be greatest.

I believe your assessment is spot on.

The remaining media is continuing to flow.

You can look at the filter and understand a substantial amount of filtration is still happening.

The tear problem is not desirable, it's not okay, but it's not hurting anything except Purolator's previously stellar image here on BITOG.

I watched a guy buy a handful of $3.27 Purolators at Walmart last evening.

He was pleased to get three or four filters for the price of one of the "boutique" filters from the upper shelf.

Reports of torn Purolators - many

Reports of damaged engines from torn Purolators - 0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back