Boeing CEO Dave Calhoun resigning

Pick your favorite news source, it's on all of them. The big deal is that Calhoun is resigning effective at the end of the calendar year.

I feel like a CEO change is sometimes what's needed to turn the page on the news cycle, regardless of other information. The CEO can become the public face of a company's problems and moving on can put a company in a better place in the public's mind, whether that is factually accurate or not. I feel like Boeing is in this sort of situation where the public is hungry for a big head to roll, regardless of whether that will fix the issue or not.

Also out effective immediately is Stan Deal, CEO of Boeing Commercial Airplanes.

As noted in many places, Boeing does not seem the same as the Boeing of old. We will see if this change in leadership produces positive results for their airline customers and for the public as a whole.

I personally think they need to move the HQ back to Seattle to be closest to their bread and butter commercial airplanes business, but with the acknowledgement that their higest value customer is very close to the current HQ location.

Boeing CEO Dave Calhoun resigning​

grumpy_cat_good.gif

Pick your favorite news source, it's on all of them. The big deal is that Calhoun is resigning effective at the end of the calendar year.

I feel like a CEO change is sometimes what's needed to turn the page on the news cycle, regardless of other information. The CEO can become the public face of a company's problems and moving on can put a company in a better place in the public's mind, whether that is factually accurate or not. I feel like Boeing is in this sort of situation where the public is hungry for a big head to roll, regardless of whether that will fix the issue or not.

Also out effective immediately is Stan Deal, CEO of Boeing Commercial Airplanes.

As noted in many places, Boeing does not seem the same as the Boeing of old. We will see if this change in leadership produces positive results for their airline customers and for the public as a whole.

I personally think they need to move the HQ back to Seattle to be closest to their bread and butter commercial airplanes business, but with the acknowledgement that their higest value customer is very close to the current HQ location.
1. Boeing is a victim of its own success! Numerous other examples (which leadership of Boeing never studied): NASA (Challenger and Columbia), IBM, etc, etc.
2. Boeing has had issues for more than 15 years. David Calhoun is just a continuation of poor leadership that has plagued the company for a long time.
3. In reality, they have to fire all C-suit and bring outside people. This current behavior is indicative that they still think they are pressured to fire David, and that they know best and other don't know anything. Their record in the last few years says something else. But, if they thought differently, they would not be in this situation. This behavior is predictable of organizations that have rooten culture.
4. They don't have anyone else to blame but themselves! The media can and will say whatever they want. They have the right to do so.

IMO everything that has been going wrong at Boeing can be traced straight back to the 1997 Boeing/McDonnell-Douglas merger. I have a close personal friend (Master's degree engineer, retired Air Force Colonel, and 8000+ hour C-130 pilot) that retired from Boeing in 1999. He told me that he saw all of this coming and he knew that Boeing would never be the same after the merger.

We may see the needed change coming at Boeing as a consequence of this.
I certainly hope so.
The company needs to do whatever it takes to resolve its assembly problems with the 737 and 787 and also needs to resolve the ongoing saga of gaining type certification of the Max 7 and 10 as well as the 777X. Boeing can devote resources now, meaning dollars, or it can dribble away many more dollars over time and maybe have customers walk away. If United walks, it's bad, but if Southwest feels they have no other option that would be fatal.
When customers grow restive about a company's inability to deliver a contracted product anywhere close to schedule, then that company must be seen to devote substantial resources to resolving the issue.
This must involve expenditures and not just words.
Boeing has been in the process of killing the goose. It must instead focus on saving the goose so that the bird can continue to lay golden eggs.
We can otherwise kiss Boeing commercial transports goodbye.

We may see the needed change coming at Boeing as a consequence of this.
I certainly hope so.
The company needs to do whatever it takes to resolve its assembly problems with the 737 and 787 and also needs to resolve the ongoing saga of gaining type certification of the Max 7 and 10 as well as the 777X. Boeing can devote resources now, meaning dollars, or it can dribble away many more dollars over time and maybe have customers walk away. If United walks, it's bad, but if Southwest feels they have no other option that would be fatal.
When customers grow restive about a company's inability to deliver a contracted product anywhere close to schedule, then that company must be seen to devote substantial resources to resolving the issue.
This must involve expenditures and not just words.
Boeing has been in the process of killing the goose. It must instead focus on saving the goose so that the bird can continue to lay golden eggs.
We can otherwise kiss Boeing commercial transports goodbye.
United has more 737s on order than Southwest. United has over 200 787s on order.

If United walks - it will be catastrophic for Boeing.

United has more 737s on order than Southwest. United has over 200 787s on order.

If United walks - it will be catastrophic for Boeing.
United may have more 737s on order than Southwest, but United also has single aisle Airbuses in its ecosystem, so it can more easily turn to the A321 over the still uncertified Max 10. United has never operated an Airbus widebody IIRC and keeps deferring the A350s it has on order.
Southwest has only very briefly operated anything other than a 737 and is therefore more reliant than United on Boeing being able to deliver these aircraft. If Southwest were forced to go to the enormous expense of beginning to operate Airbus single aisles, then a large and utterly reliable customer would be irretrievably lost. A nightmare for Boeing come true.
Were United to decide that Boeing could not be relied upon to deliver properly assembled defect free 787s reasonably on schedule, United could negotiate firm delivery dates on those A350s and order more of them along with some aging but still efficient A330s.
Another nightmare for Boeing come true.
At the end of the day, I think we can agree that Boeing needs to invest whatever it takes as quickly as possible to get its house in order. Anything less can only lead to a continued, prolonged swirling down the drain of what was once the world leader in commercial jet transports.

Just like a parachute rigger; make the people ride on the aircraft they touch to show of good faith. Make all aircraft have parachute and box 📦 of smokes 🚬, plane acts up then you can give yourself a fighting chance.

P.S. Snoopy was the best pilot ever 😆

I started at Everett, WA Boeing plant in 97. I wondered why I would see people that looked like they had family members that passed away. Years later I realized why. I worked on floor frames of the 747. I hated it. I never went back after my layoff. I was hired at the end of the hiring boom, and laid off when the layoffs started. I worked there for about 15 months.

I remember before I was laid off. They had a meeting for all the factory floor workers. Not all of them, maybe 200 of us at a time. They told us not to worry about layoffs. It would be all white collar managers etc. Older workers seemed cynical about that. I was laid off not long after that.

I think the company needs a serious purge. Sad executives get such large sums of money when companies are run badly.

Airbus is not happy with this. They cannot take any more orders and they have their own issues. One of the reasons for this is practical duopoly between Boeing and Airbus. It would be far healthier if we had 2-3 more strong aircraft manufacturers

Engineering cannot run an effective business model. This is coming from an engineer in two industries. Yin and Yang relationship…

I've seen engineers or scientists who can run a business. Some might even get MBAs. Not as rare as business types who truly understand the needs of engineering.

IMO everything that has been going wrong at Boeing can be traced straight back to the 1997 Boeing/McDonnell-Douglas merger. I have a close personal friend (Master's degree engineer, retired Air Force Colonel, and 8000+ hour C-130 pilot) that retired from Boeing in 1999. He told me that he saw all of this coming and he knew that Boeing would never be the same after the merger.

I have heard this many times, but my employer had a hand in the Max family instead of helping Boeing make a new model as well. 😶‍🌫️

Back