Kwik Trip CEO retires - family member will resign position as surgeon/professor to take over

Found it rather interesting that he was their board chair while he was a full-time surgeon and professor of medicine at the Mayo Clinic. Not really all that familiar with the company other than it was noted as a convenience store chain that participated in the Top Tier Fuels program before it pulled out of the program. And apparently many here are customers.

On January 1, 2023, Kwik Trip’s chair of the board and second-generation owner Scott Zietlow will become Kwik Trip’s next president and CEO. Scott will be retiring from his role as a professor of surgery in the trauma, critical care and general surgery division of Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota, to assume his new responsibilities at Kwik Trip.​

Not all board members are involved in the day-to-day. They may meet monthly, quarterly, or yearly and/or may work ~ 8 hrs/month. Basically they're paid to make decisions a couple of times a year.
True. You don't want a Board member be more involved than those 8 hours/month max.

As noted, Board members are usually not involved in the day to day running of the company and participate in decision making a few times a year, often monthly or quarterly. Most people on boards have full time gigs elsewhere... CEO is the day to day decision maker, and thus why he is retiring from his current full time gig that he could hold while being the board chair.

I always found it amusing Kwik Trip had a farm, dairy, packaging plant and a single engineer to keep all the equipment and chemistry working.

They aren’t a “normal “ convenience store, with menninite made hot sticks, with their own vertically integrated farm/dairy/packaging plant/bakery to supplement and supply the stores with various home branded fresh cooked, ready to eat and ready made to “cook” meal kits

They are on my “likes” as a company which is rare.
where Walmart used to be in the 80’s before they became far more cut throat .

I don’t like how proliferic they are
but that is what happens to any successful industry leader, sort of like Aldi which is moving down my list due to its massive expansion and everybody and their brother being there. I preferred the Aldi of old with its 5pm close time, even though I go there every week.

Piggly Wiggly is becoming the underdog store I like

Doctors operating stores isn’t unusual in the Midwest, Shopko being a standout that pretty much died the instant the founder left

Back