BMW ZF 8-speed automatic transmission oil change

I noticed that some kits include this:

OEN 24 14 7 588 896 — BMW
OEN 7 588 896 — BMW

do you think it should be changed or not?
I changed the ATF in my 435i at 55k miles and I also changed the sleeve because they were known to leak on the ZF6HP. It's not an expensive part.

Hi everyone, I've watched a lot of videos on Youtube and actually, the oil change is done as you explained to me, quite simply.

The only exception is this video:
even if he speaks in Italian what he does you understand it anyway

What do you think?

Il lavaggio non e' necessario, dipende solo a che tipo di cambio preferisci, uno completo oppure meno. Questo signore qui, ha spiegato bene il lavaggio anche se e' una Toyota:

Sostituisci anche la parte plastica rotonda che puo' causare una eventuale perdita di olio alla vostra vettura.

Last edited:
Il lavaggio non e' necessario, dipende solo a che tipo di cambio preferisci, uno completo oppure meno. Questo signore qui, ha spiegato bene il lavaggio anche se e' una Toyota:

Sostituisci anche la parte plastica rotonda che puo' causare una eventuale perdita di olio alla vostra vettura.

Thank you.

I have read other topic on this forum about the maintenance of ZF 8HP gearbox and practically always talk about a simple oil and sump change; very few speak of complete washing / oil change with special tools.

PS: I knew that boy, (it seems) he sadly committed suicide less than a year ago, they talked in the newspaper

Last edited:
Ancora un'altra buona spiegazione da Emanuele, dove c'e' la perdita alla spina elettrica, e hai bisogno di quella boccola su la tua BMW:

pros don’t use a scan tool or a temp gun they just wait two minutes and fill.

the transmission will never reach 40c at idle unless you knock yourself on the oil pan and pass out
Depends on the "professionals" you talk to...

But yes, the ZF8's take a long time to reach 40C. You'll probably have to drive it around the block a few times.

On these, yes.

On the ZF 5 speed fitted to the E39 540i, it was a frantic race to complete the procedure as the fluid temp shot skyward. ATF/coolant heat exchanger is to blame, I believe.

When I did my F10 535 a couple of years ago I prepared for the same and was greeted with a lazy yawn-fest lying under the car waiting for the temp to creep up into the desired range. IIRC cooling is ATF/air on my F10. F10s with V8s have ATF/coolant, so owners of those vehicles might have to move faster.

pros don’t use a scan tool or a temp gun they just wait two minutes and fill.

the transmission will never reach 40c at idle unless you knock yourself on the oil pan and pass out
It really depends on what ambient temperature is when you work on it, in a hot 30+'C day it takes less than 10 minutes to reach 40'C, trust me I have done it with a scan tool.

I have already ordered the oil pan twice but continue to receive it like this. It's right? it seems to me that a magnet is missing.

In your opinion is it correct or is it defective?

Attachments

• IMG_20220722_093816.jpg
    IMG_20220722_093816.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_20220722_093823.jpg
    IMG_20220722_093823.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_20220722_093829.jpg
    IMG_20220722_093829.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_20220722_094717.jpg
    IMG_20220722_094717.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 43
I have already ordered the oil pan twice but continue to receive it like this. It's right? it seems to me that a magnet is missing.

In your opinion is it correct or is it defective?

look in the box to see if it fell in there. If so, you can just take it out of the box and slide it into that slot :)

or you could reuse a magnet from the old pan :sneaky:

Hi everyone, here I am back. After holidays and various commitments I managed to took the car to the mechanic and change the oil of the automatic gearbox.

I wanted to leave my impressions and feelings.

I did the job with my trusted mechanic.

The oil that was present in my automatic gearbox after 100k km was very dark; there was no large amount of iron filings on the magnets.

We changed the oil following the instructions carefully.

I've already driven the car a few times and noticed some improvements.

1) starting from a standstill, the transition between 1 and 2 is much smoother.

2) the transition to the following gears seems to me slightly sweeter and earlier than before.

3) when I stop the inertia is slightly less. Let me explain better, when I am going and I brake to stop, the force that the automatic transmission exerts is slightly less.

I can be satisfied. I didn't think I would notice so many improvements

I am a do it yourself type guy (I work on my ram pickup truck and VW at home). Lots of good information here. It’s not difficult to service your own ZF HP70 transmission. You’ll need good jacks stands, a hydraulic floor jack, and some hand tools (torx 40 bit and ratchet, 8mm hex bolt (to remove old drain plug, another hex wrench to remove fill plug). Lots of videos online available. I just did mine and used the Valvoline MaxLife multi vehicle ATF at a fraction of the price. Look into the PPE aluminum pans. They hold more fluid and have a filter that can be changed later. A simple hand pump will put fresh fluid into the transmission after new pan/filter is installed.
Hey John! Good to see you here!!!!

Back