ZF 8 fluid change in SQ5

My 2018 Audi SQ5 is due for fluid changes of the drivetrain. I'm wondering what is the recommended fluid for the ZF 8? VAG-branded is stupid expensive, so I'm already considering just using ZF's own Lifeguard 8, which is probably exactly the same oil. I'm not asking for the cheapest oil, but when you have OEM prices this high, usually there is a cheaper product that is actually better than the OEM. Curious if that is the case with the ZF 8 transmission.

Valvoline maxlife has been used in zf-8's by many with no ill effect. Some who tried to use it in an old worn out 4 speed noticed softer slower tc engagement and shifts but that's an easy fix. But some on the euro crowd get paranoid about it even when there's virtually no evidence that it's harmful. The zf8 is nearing 15 years old. It ain't the newest thing on the block though it's on its 3rd update by now. The 10 speed in my escalade calls for ultra low viscosity fluid which is just 4.5 cst at 100c. The zf8 uses slightly thicker atf than that.

I've seen Mobil 1 Synthetic LV ATF HP recommended but with no rationale for why it's better.

I've seen Mobil 1 Synthetic LV ATF HP recommended but with no rationale for why it's better.
Hmm that's a fluid designed specifically for the troublesome 8 speed gm trans which had a shudder issue. Some people fixed their shudder by using a shudder fix additive, can't remember the exact name in the stock fluid which fixed it and the m1 formulation is basically that in essence. Not sure if it would harm anything. Could make the engagement a bit stiffer but that can be fixed easily.

FCPEuro has the lifeguard 8 for $16/L. Free shipping over $49.

The likely have the filter/pan you need as well.

I agree with racer12306 advice.

I called up FCP for the trans fluid and trans pan. I then used blauparts to source the Ravenol products for the front diff, transfer case and rear diff. I did the entire drivetrain service recently on my 18' Q7 3.0T.

Attachments

• 20230325_193548.jpg
    20230325_193548.jpg
    174.2 KB · Views: 27
Back