Alternatives to ZF Lifeguard Fluid 6

I own a 2009 BMW 550i with the ZF 6HP26 auto transmission. The prescribed transmission fluid is ZF Lifeguard Fluid 6, which I used in my most recent drain/filter/refill about 40k km ago (and I assume was in use originally when I purchased the vehicle). ZF LG 6 is rather expensive here in Canada at around $40/L, and I'm open to better/cheaper alternatives. One fluid that has caught my eye is Ravenol 6HP. It's PAO-based and German-made, but seems impossible to find in Canada. From what I can see, it's a little cheaper than the ZF fluid in the US. Has anyone else used Ravenol 6HP in place of ZF LG 6, and if so, what are your impressions? Are any other German fluids equal to or superior to LG 6?

Thanks.

Go to Jaguarforums.com . Type in ZF 6HP26 trans fluid flush. There is a lot of good info there that will help you out.
I had already been looking through this thread. Prevalent opinion there is that only Ford Motorcraft Mercon SP and Shell Spirax S4 ATF MSP are truly equivalent to ZF LG 6.

This is one of the things I dread about my Jeep … that fluid is not liquid gold, just priced like it is …

If you haven't, check FCP Euro for a kit to do the change (fluid, bolts, filter/pan) all inclusive and figure out if the shipping is worth it. I have the ZF 8HP, and I purchased during a time when I could drive across the border and pick up from a holding service. FCP's price on the kit with genuine ZF parts and fluid was a complete no-brainer and they DO ship to Canada from what I've seen.

Give it a look before going non-OEM. Top quality parts, identical fluid (which will mix with what you can't drain), great price. The complete kit for my 8HP is only $226US including 7 qts of genuine ZF LG8 for something I only "need" to do every 100k km. https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw-ga8hp45z-ga8hp70z-auto-trans-service-kit-24118612901kt

Or, alternatively, a "universal" fluid.

The ZF6 was unique when it was released. It isn't any more. Maxlife has been used successfully, and I used Havoline Fully Synthetic Multi-Vehicle ATF w/ Lubegard Platinum in my Phaeton. Worked perfectly.

I own a 2009 BMW 550i with the ZF 6HP26 auto transmission. The prescribed transmission fluid is ZF Lifeguard Fluid 6, which I used in my most recent drain/filter/refill about 40k km ago (and I assume was in use originally when I purchased the vehicle). ZF LG 6 is rather expensive here in Canada at around $40/L, and I'm open to better/cheaper alternatives. One fluid that has caught my eye is Ravenol 6HP. It's PAO-based and German-made, but seems impossible to find in Canada. From what I can see, it's a little cheaper than the ZF fluid in the US. Has anyone else used Ravenol 6HP in place of ZF LG 6, and if so, what are your impressions? Are any other German fluids equal to or superior to LG 6?

Thanks.
I have used Maxlife ATF in an Audi A4 with the same trans as yours for over 100 000 with no issues - - -better shifting was felt thought.
Great stuff that maxlife.

As stated, ZF6 was unique transmission, a first 6 speed in the world. It was true technological gem. But, it has been 22 years since introduction, and fluids caught up.
Maxlife is used in BMW's often, Redline D6 too. Check Motul Multi ATF too. Motul makes exceptional transmission/gear oils.

Thanks.
There is a pretty good video about this on youtube.. its kinda long but just skip ahead to section 2 fluids... he shows the specs on a chart for several different fluids.

Thanks.
Maxlife atf.
I have used it in place of lifeguard 6.
It's good stuff.

Back