ZF HP8 Transmission Servicing

Originally Posted by edyvw
No. I was involved in developing oil that was specifically aimed at customers of VW.

Why? What is so special about VW engines and their oil requirements, generally speaking? Careful not to give out any trade secrets!
lol.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by UberArchetype
Originally Posted by edyvw
No. I was involved in developing oil that was specifically aimed at customers of VW.

Why? What is so special about VW engines and their oil requirements, generally speaking? Careful not to give out any trade secrets!
lol.gif

LOL I won't, but all European companies have their own specifications.
This particular specification (VW504.00/507.00) has by far most stringent wear requirements in 0W30 and 5W30 grade. This specification was developed for DPF equipped vehicles and gasoline engines that utilized low-sulfur gas (EU since 2009, US since 2017). There re other requirements that are much more stringent than your average 5W30 synthetic oil.
Mostly comes down to demands of European roads (German) and cultural heritage where oil has to sustain very high speeds on a regular basis. That is mostly left over aspect as EU cracked down on speed (except Germany and few other countries) in last decade.

There's still a few places in the U.S. you can do sustained high-speed driving that make the longest Autobahn stretch you can find look like an errand to the corner store. I haven't bought the "higher euro stress" rationale since the 80s.

This comes up alot these days.. especially with dodge/chrysler as all of there 8 speed transmissions are marketed as "fill for life". There is a pretty good video on this subject that is very detailed (a little long) it also talks about fluids, shows specs, part numbers, other service options... its very informative

Back