BMW Transfer Case Fluid Change

I'm planning on changing the transfer case fluid in my 2011 BMW 328xi.

I'll most likely use the BMW DTF-1 and new drain/fill plugs, even though Redline says their MT-LV is compatible.

My question is, how to go about the fluid adaptation reset.

Do I need to reset it?

Or should the system adapt to the new fluid?

I've seen a lot of conflicting info on the internet.

If I need to reset it, what's the easiest way to do it?

In my experience it does not need to be reset unless you are trying to solve a specific issue but it can be reset, and it is probably better to.

What software/scan tool do you have?

I had an 08 328 X and did not have to reset after changing fluid out. IIRC it was only 1 quart of fluid and a costly one of about $50 for BMW fluid. Might be different in your 2011.

In my experience it does not need to be reset unless you are trying to solve a specific issue but it can be reset, and it is probably better to.

What software/scan tool do you have?
I only have a bluetooth obd2 scanner.

I had an 08 328 X and did not have to reset after changing fluid out. IIRC it was only 1 quart of fluid and a costly one of about $50 for BMW fluid. Might be different in your 2011.
Thanks for sharing your experience.

Mine uses the same fluid and amount

If yo go some route other than ISTA make sure it can do what you want. Some will only do the common stuff like battery.

ISTA just needs a laptop and the appropriate cable. Plenty of videos on how to install (It's a PITA btw).

If yo go some route other than ISTA make sure it can do what you want. Some will only do the common stuff like battery.

ISTA just needs a laptop and the appropriate cable. Plenty of videos on how to install (It's a PITA btw).
Yeah, it seems like a pain to install, even from someone who does a lot with tech.

I feel like if the system is smart enough to know when the fluid is worn and needs to be replaced, should be able to figure out that there is new fluid in it.

And the TSB that says to reset it, it for when the transfer case is jerking from a stop.

Yeah, it seems like a pain to install, even from someone who does a lot with tech.

I feel like if the system is smart enough to know when the fluid is worn and needs to be replaced, should be able to figure out that there is new fluid in it.

And the TSB that says to reset it, it for when the transfer case is jerking from a stop.
Sensor is not Blackstone laboratory. Also, DME adjusts operations when fluid is changed same as IBS adjusts charging when you register new battery or code larger or smaller one.
Good OBD (professional Autel etc.) will adopt new values for TC. ProTool is basically INPA translated into common language for general audience.
Again, having BMW, best is to go ProTool. But if you want generic OBD, Google TC adaptation and see which one can do.

Sensor is not Blackstone laboratory. Also, DME adjusts operations when fluid is changed same as IBS adjusts charging when you register new battery or code larger or smaller one.
Good OBD (professional Autel etc.) will adopt new values for TC. ProTool is basically INPA translated into common language for general audience.
Again, having BMW, best is to go ProTool. But if you want generic OBD, Google TC adaptation and see which one can do.
So, it won't adapt if I don't reset it manually?

I guess I'll go the ista route

Yep, you have to “tell” vehicle that you changed fluid. I am not sure how car would know you changed fluid.
Ok, but then why wouldn't the transmission adaptation need to be reset when you change the fluid?

Isn't there a code for transmission gear oil wear?

Ok, but then why wouldn't the transmission adaptation need to be reset when you change the fluid?

On older one you had to. On ZF6 I think. On new ZF you don’t. I am not sure about GM transmission on BMW
The reason for this is that TC is simple; TC is not transmission. Different maintenance requirements.

As I wrote in the other thread:

• TC adaptations are there to adapt to FLUID aging. The fluid is renewed when the fluid is changed. There is even a code set by the TC ECU advising that it is time to change the fluid based on the properties that it observes in use.
  • Transmission adaptations are there to adapt to clutch and brake wear. The clutches are not renewed when the fluid is changed.
Sadly TIS documents are a lot harder to get in recent times. I'm going by memory but I will search my records to see if I have a screenshot of anything official to share and confirm the accuracy of my recollection.

As I wrote in the other thread:

• TC adaptations are there to adapt to FLUID aging. The fluid is renewed when the fluid is changed. There is even a code set by the TC ECU advising that it is time to change the fluid based on the properties that it observes in use.
  • Transmission adaptations are there to adapt to clutch and brake wear. The clutches are not renewed when the fluid is changed.
Sadly TIS documents are a lot harder to get in recent times. I'm going by memory but I will search my records to see if I have a screenshot of anything official to share and confirm the accuracy of my recollection.
I downloaded bimmer geek tools on a virtual machine to see how hard it would be. It seems pretty easy

I use INPA to reset?

What if I want to reset it on Fxx chasis?

Do I need ISTA-D for that?

Back