BMW synthetic 5W-30 Longlife oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ive just been reading something, stressing the importance of having an ACEA A3 rating, HTHS rating over 3.4, and a thickness at 100c (operating tempurature)in a 30 weight of over 12. The BMW stuff meets these criteria.

But, I belive it is 'only' a Base III type oil. So heres the question.. I had used for awhile Mobil 1 10W-30. This is a Group IV oil, but lacks the ACEA A3 rating, has the HTHS sheer rating of 3.1, and has a thickness at 100c of 10.

ie, would you say the 3 criteria I menion above that the BMW 5W-30 has are more important in making a decision than the fact the bMW is a Group III, and the Mobil 1 is a Group 4?

If the criteria you have listed are known to be important for your vehicle, then I would say yes.

IMO the argument over Group III vs Group IV is far from being the whole story on the applicability of motor oils.

If your motor needs a thicker oil, Mobil-1 5W-30 is a poor choice.

John

I agree that the BMW specs are much more important than the base oil used. If you search the web to find BMW approved oils for your car, you may find that Mobil 1 0W-40 will meet all the specs if you desire a Group IV product.

My vote goes to having the BMW spec (ie. A3) over the actual group type of the base oil.

From what I've seen with Euro engines, I would put a 15-40 conventional oil over a group IV A1 5-20/30 (assuming proper operating temp. range) with respect to protection any day.

Why? Because (as a general rule of thumb) the viscosity is more important than the base oil type or brand.

Isn't this generation of A3 dealer oil made by Castrol and dated 1998? Early Euro Hydrocrack? Castrol Softec TXT? Same krap as Belgian Syntec? A3, BMW LL'98, VW 502, whatever.
rolleyes.gif
Do a VOA for real answers.

>> If you search the web to find BMW approved oils for your car, you may find that Mobil 1 0W-40 will meet all the specs if you desire a Group IV product.
Thanks.. I looked at that... I think, considering the large price differential, the bmw 5w-30 and the mobil 1 0w-40 have pretty similar specs. But either way, theyre both a far site better than the Mobil 1 10w-30 i bought a while ago.. have to sell and replace with the bmw i think...

Paul, GC (German Castrol 0W-30), available at Autozone is good stuff.
grin.gif

Meets a lot of the Euro specs. including BMW Long Life-01. Many on the board favor it.

Great info, after reading I am going to change to GC 0W/30 as well, currently have Amsoil 5W/30 ASL-01 25k oil and prior to that Mobil 1 5W/30.
I have one Qt of GC 0W/30 now, that is all they had in stock.
lol.gif

quote:

Do a VOA for real answers

I beg to differ. A VOA tells you almost nothing about the quality of the motor oil. In fact, I see VOAs as being only enough information to be dangerous, not enough to be well informed with regard to relative goodness of various motor oils.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back