BMW Returning to Castrol

as noted its the lowest bidder meeting the required specs, hopefully. todays everythings are built "globally" aka parts from the lowest bidder + thats why you see mass failures of said parts on various brands. more technology BUT parts cost controlled by the bean counters = lesser quality!!
Which mass failures due to oil? I've owned a E36/E46/E60/F82/F80/F48 that ran on OEM BMW, nonetheless some cars are still low mileage but the ones I got rid of had north of 125K-150k miles without any engine related issues - the engine itself always outlasted the issues around it such as water pumps / suspension bushings / electronics / and of course seals / gaskets. At the time I sold my e36/e46 it ran 9/10 of the oil changes on OEM BMW 5w30.... my e60 550i probably ran 70k miles on OEM fluid as well (free oil changes under maintenance is the reason why most of them run on OE BMW fluid) until I swapped it to castrol 0w40 for the last 50k+ miles.

Zero mass failures....

Which mass failures due to oil? I've owned a E36/E46/E60/F82/F80/F48 that ran on OEM BMW, nonetheless some cars are still low mileage but the ones I got rid of had north of 125K-150k miles without any engine related issues - the engine itself always outlasted the issues around it such as water pumps / suspension bushings / electronics / and of course seals / gaskets. At the time I sold my e36/e46 it ran 9/10 of the oil changes on OEM BMW 5w30.... my e60 550i probably ran 70k miles on OEM fluid as well (free oil changes under maintenance is the reason why most of them run on OE BMW fluid) until I swapped it to castrol 0w40 for the last 50k+ miles.

Zero mass failures....
They are with all of the mass 0w20 oil failures 🤪

Zero mass failures....
Same here- but of course we actually own BMWs- actual ownership experience counts for nothing.

Same here- but of course we actually own BMWs- actual ownership experience counts for nothing.
I will though caution how 0W30 FE performed in N55. There is suddenly too many rod bearing failures that are not related to OFHG replacement. That engine did not have any rod bearing issues until BMW started to play with FE oils.

I will though caution how 0W30 FE performed in N55. There is suddenly too many rod bearing failures that are not related to OFHG replacement. That engine did not have any rod bearing issues until BMW started to play with FE oils.
Is there any documented proof this was/is oil related? Is 0W-30 FE still a recommendation?

Is there any documented proof this was/is oil related? Is 0W-30 FE still a recommendation?
N55 was initially LL01 for 7-8yrs. In 2016 switch was made to FE version. N55 is sensitive to botched OFHG replacement and priming needs to be done. But, there are cases of rod bearings failing last few years using dealership oil and having proper OFHG replacement. It is too much coincidence that these engines that had excellent history suddenly now started to develop this issue.

Valvtronic shaft or rod bearings pic your poison! Lol

I suspect the vast majority of rod bearing issues are on tuned egines.
Nope. The few I've read about were primarily E90 335 (LL01) models. FE (Min HTHS 3.0) oil have been allowed for the N55 in Europe for some time.

Nope. The few I've read about were primarily E90 335 (LL01) models. FE (Min HTHS 3.0) oil have been allowed for the N55 in Europe for some time.
That's what I figured. Thanks for the info.

Actually those that I have seen were not tuned at all. Interestingly enough, I have not seen rod bearing issues on N54 and they are ones that are tuner favorite. But, they are not using LL01FE.
Edit: as for Europe aND LL01FE, I cannot remembered ever being used. LL04 was always go to oil for N55.

Last edited:
Actually those that I have seen were not tuned at all. Interestingly enough, I have not seen rod bearing issues on N54 and they are ones that are tuner favorite. But, they are not using LL01FE.
Edit: as for Europe aND LL01FE, I cannot remembered ever being used. LL04 was always go to oil for N55.
Original owner???

Ya who knows. Perhaps there's 1 or 2 X5's? The numbers are infinitesimally low compared to the number of units sold. The N55 has been the workhorse I6 for years. I was told by a BMW technician that they thought the move to FE was partly to reduce start-up wear on the valvtronic shaft. A lot of warranty claims over that. Also it's not like the N-series V8's are having bearing issues either and they all run on the "FE" flavor as well.

Personally I have a hard time believing that at US speeds going from 3.5 HTHS to 3.2 HTHS would cause bearing issues on a stock engine. Also I think some people just abuse engines. For example I have a family member who never lets the rpms settle and gets on the throttle on a cold engine. Perfect candidate for some sort of EV.

In any case getting back to Benji's comment about lowest bidder oil causing problems with BMW engines if for the sake of argument there is a slight uptick in bearing issues using "FE" oils that would not be a "lowest bidder" formulation issue but an application or a mechanical issue.

Ya who knows. Perhaps there's 1 or 2 X5's? The numbers are infinitesimally low compared to the number of units sold. The N55 has been the workhorse I6 for years. I was told by a BMW technician that they thought the move to FE was partly to reduce start-up wear on the valvtronic shaft. A lot of warranty claims over that. Also it's not like the N-series V8's are having bearing issues either and they all run on the "FE" flavor as well.
Then clearly he has no idea what he is talking about. Thinner oils do not reduce startup wear. Wear is caused by metal-to-metal contact and it is the oil film thickness that prevents that. Besides, all oils are more than thick enough at startup to prevent "startup wear".

People say stuff they have heard elsewhere and that sounds good to them regardless of whether it is true or not.

Original owner???

Personally I have a hard time believing that at US speeds going from 3.5 HTHS to 3.2 HTHS would cause bearing issues on a stock engine. Also I think some people just abuse engines. For example I have a family member who never lets the rpms settle and gets on the throttle on a cold engine. Perfect candidate for some sort of EV.

In any case getting back to Benji's comment about lowest bidder oil causing problems with BMW engines if for the sake of argument there is a slight uptick in bearing issues using "FE" oils that would not be a "lowest bidder" formulation issue but an application or a mechanical issue.
I highly doubt start-up wear is an issue. If there is an attempt to reduce wear by using thinner oils it is to mitigate issues caused in engines that do not reach operating oil temperature. That, I can see, but what about those that see? If you google N55 rod bearings, there are a slew of cases in Europe too. But, I think in light of the number of sold units it is not enough for BMW, which is usually super slow and very conservative when it comes to reacting to these issues, to do something about it. I mean, this is probably most stubborn company out there, hence VCG issues on new B engines :)
IDO, that is my take. IMO, if I had N55, nothing thinner than W40.

Then clearly he has no idea what he is talking about. Thinner oils do not reduce startup wear. Wear is caused by metal-to-metal contact and it is the oil film thickness that prevents that. Besides, all oils are more than thick enough at startup to prevent "startup wear".

People say stuff they have heard elsewhere and that sounds good to them regardless of whether it is true or not.
LOL..I was waiting for you to reply to that. So true. Again it's what they thought not what they know. There's a difference.

I am having feeling these are going to be repackaged Edge oils.
any update on what the new 5w-30 is and where it is available? 10k mile service and they put in the 0w-30 FE for me again, and i am in california so it isn't a climate issue. does the new 5w-30 (castrol) exist and where? thanks.

any update on what the new 5w-30 is and where it is available? 10k mile service and they put in the 0w-30 FE for me again, and i am in california so it isn't a climate issue. does the new 5w-30 (castrol) exist and where? thanks.
I’m confused, why that grade? You’re not really getting a thinner LL-01 than a less expensive 40 grade due to the mimimim HT/HS.

I’m confused, why that grade? You’re not really getting a thinner LL-01 than a less expensive 40 grade due to the mimimim HT/HS.
The 5w-40 is usually available at Walmart. The Castrol 5w40 gets a lot of hate on here, but it has the ll-01 approval alongside of many other euro approvals.

Not repackaged Edge.
Saw VOA on bimmerpost. No Titanium and very high flash point (460). KV100 11.36! Wondering if there is some PAO in Castrol sourced TPT 5W30.

Back