BMW Returning to Castrol

1617813573863.jpg

is the ”new” 5w-30 a non FE oil?
BMW isn't pouring 5w-30 in any vehicle made since around 2012. A dealer may stock it but unless you have an "in" with the service department the technician is going to pour whatever the computer tells him and it's going to be the 0w30. In any case BMW FE oil isn't really all that thin. Historically it has a HTHS of about 3.2 whereas the non-FE oils have a HTHS of 3.5 or above. These FE oils have a higher HTHS than say M1 EP 5w30.

BMW isn't pouring 5w-30 in any vehicle made since around 2012. A dealer may stock it but unless you have an "in" with the service department the technician is going to pour whatever the computer tells him and it's going to be the 0w30. In any case BMW FE oil isn't really all that thin. Historically it has a HTHS of about 3.2 whereas the non-FE oils have a HTHS of 3.5 or above. These FE oils have a higher HTHS than say M1 EP 5w30.
M1 5W30 EP is in that range, as well as KV100.
My local dealership was pushing regular LL01 last year when I was buying some oil there. Not are they still doing it.

Yep..
M1 5W30 EP is in that range, as well as KV100.
My local dealership was pushing regular LL01 last year when I was buying some oil there. Not are they still doing it.
a couple of weeks ago I tried getting the dealer to pour 5w30 but was told that the technician has to follow whatever BMW currently calls for.

Huh, interesting that they actually say this on the site:

ARE BMW GROUP ENGINE OILS FULL SYNTHETIC?​

Yes. In order to meet the critical performance, protection and fuel economy specifications of these high output engines, premium group III base oils were required. All BMW Group Engine Oils are full synthetic.

Huh, interesting that they actually say this on the site:
High oxidation demands are imposed. There are BMW-approved oils that are GTL and PAO. This is a cheap way to get what BMW is asking for. So, why not say Group III required? Required to get what BMW wants.

High oxidation demands are imposed. There are BMW-approved oils that are GTL and PAO. This is a cheap way to get what BMW is asking for. So, why not say Group III required? Required to get what BMW wants.
Usually you don't see oil manfs putting what base group on their general website in public. It's either hidden away 22 clicks later or a random PDS/MSDS sheet. That's why it's interesting they put it right on out there.

Usually you don't see oil manfs putting what base group on their general website in public. It's either hidden away 22 clicks later or a random PDS/MSDS sheet. That's why it's interesting they put it right on out there.
Yeah, I get that. That is it from Castrol or Redline web site? Bcs. Redline justifies its Professional lineup (Kendall) that way. Shell is perfectly fine having approvals for their GTL line-up, or Ravenol for their PAO line-up.

Yeah, I get that. That is it from Castrol or Redline web site? Bcs. Redline justifies its Professional lineup (Kendall) that way. Shell is perfectly fine having approvals for their GTL line-up, or Ravenol for their PAO line-up.
Castrols website in the link provided a few posts prior.

as noted its the lowest bidder meeting the required specs, hopefully. todays everythings are built "globally" aka parts from the lowest bidder + thats why you see mass failures of said parts on various brands. more technology BUT parts cost controlled by the bean counters = lesser quality!!

as noted its the lowest bidder meeting the required specs, hopefully. todays everythings are built "globally" aka parts from the lowest bidder + thats why you see mass failures of said parts on various brands. more technology BUT parts cost controlled by the bean counters = lesser quality!!
What failures have you seen in oils with a BMW approval?

The relationship between Castrol and BMW, or MB and Petronas etc. is not the lowest bidder. It does not have anything to do with bidding. There is no bidding.
Also, what are those failures? Please, enlighten us!

Actually it's was opined that BMW moved away from Castrol due to negative press over events invoking parent company BP.

In any case who cares if automakers go with the lowest bidder? It's the automakers who determine the requirements.

What proof do you have that BMW engines suffer from lubricant related failures?

Does your butt ever get sore from all of the unsubstantiated opinions you pull out of it?

Back