Volvo RBS0-2AE 0W20 oil available for purchase USA

I talked to a very helpful Castro oil USA advisor who helped me find the Volvo specified oil here in the States.
My searches came up empty or very expensive. My searches were under Castrol EDGE Professional 0W-20 V.

The associate recommended I use the following : Castrol Edge V 15E6EF using the part number noted. The Professional
is only available at Volvo dealerships. It is the same oil
I have yet to try this part number at Autozone and the others.

German Auto Supply

Parts Geek

Looks like free shipping is available.
Just passing along to you all.

Looks like an unremarkable specification that's easily met by a host of other products. If you really feel the need for a 20-grade then an oil with VW 508 00 approval would be much easier to find.

Looks like an unremarkable specification that's easily met by a host of other products. If you really feel the need for a 20-grade then an oil with VW 508 00 approval would be much easier to find.

Mr. K
25600 posts is very admirable! I bet you seen and heard a lot in which enabled you to have a very good view on the topic of oils.
I have been on and off for easily 25 years give or take.. It because of what I read on BITOG way back that I changed over to synthetic oil.
On the two Volvo T5 5 cylinder cars I have had, I ran various oils with mostly MOBIL1 or Castrol. I remember when Castrol GC 0W30 was all the rage. The only oil I was not impressed with was Penzoil. I felt the difference when I changed the oil. It was that apparent. All that being said, both cars overheated requiring me to pull the heads off. What was most impressive was the visible cross hatch hone pattern on the cylinders with 160K plus on the engines. I changed the oil at 5 to 6K intervals. I really believe the intervals is what was most important than the oil itself. I used 0W30,5W30,0W40 with not any noticeable difference. When I first started out, I use 20W50 thinking thicker is better. (Scientific feel good method) After I changed to 5W30, my gas mileage went up due the the heavy oil resistance inside the engine.

So here were are in 2023 and oils have change to 0W20 +/- viscosity ranges. I would like to find out if this is due to bearing tolerances changing or for better fuel economy. Will we find out too late that the thinner oils caused premature bearing/ring wear? Or have synthetics come along in quality to where this is the new era? It takes a lot of time and effort to hunt down genuine oil manufacturing specifications for me to decide which is the best oil for my new Volvo S60T6R. So for now I will stick with the Volvo specified oil. In the past it didn't matter to me BUT with the thinner weight oils I want to be more careful.

Would you be so kind to explain what you find unremarkable? I could easily use any of the Castrol 0W20s and change every 5000 miles,but I want to be secure in my decision before doing so. Thank you for your time and contributions.

Most quality ACEA C5 with high ish HTHS should do fine. MB 229.71 (72 can be C6) or Porsche C20.
ACEA C3 if you wish to run X-30 oils. Both specs are "euro mid-saps".

MB229.71
Porsche C20

Motul SPECIFIC RBS0-2AE 0W-20 has HTHS of 2.8
Have heard Volvo spec is above 2.75 HTHS.
So maybe do some mixology to get the HTHS up from 2.6.

Last edited:
Most quality ACEA C5 with high ish HTHS should do fine. MB 229.71 (72 can be C6) or Porsche C20.
ACEA C3 if you wish to run X-30 oils. Both specs are "euro mid-saps".

MB229.71
Porsche C20

Motul SPECIFIC RBS0-2AE 0W-20 has HTHS of 2.8
Have heard Volvo spec is above 2.75 HTHS.
So maybe do some mixology to get the HTHS up from 2.6.
Thank you for your information. What is HTHS and what role does it perform inside the engine?
MOBIL SUPER 3000 FORMULA VC 0W-20 70% GTL
Thank you for responding. What is the 70% GTL part?

1693758336706.jpeg

Last edited:
I have a VW Tiguan 2022. It runs 508.00. I purchase it on Amazon. I have a Passat that ran the same oil and used Mobil 1, Valvoline and Liqui Molly. I’ll be changing my oil tomorrow in my Tiguan using Liquid Molly I got on Amazon All are approved by Volkswagen and Audi so I’m sure Volvo would be included.

All are approved by Volkswagen and Audi so I’m sure Volvo would be included.
Where does this logic come from? Volvo is a totally separate entity from VW/Audi and have their own lubricant specifications and approvals, which are designed to qualify an oil for Volvo's needs - there's no reason why an oil that's good for VW/Audi would automatically be good for Volvo. The only way to know is to see the appropriate approval on the label or PDS.

I stand corrected
I admire your humbleness Dan. It can be a hornets nest in here...lol
The more you read, the more you learn. Just remember what you say may be taken literally and that person may be misguided in their oil choice. And there are members here who do their best to keep a standard of accuracy. Some on here have agendas and others like to stir the pot. After a while you can spot those types.

I've had two Volvos that specified this oil and just used an ACEA C3 *w30 or *w40 in them.
Can you give me a little more background? Year models? Bought new or used?
I would assume 4 cylinder.How many miles approximately did each engine see this oil?

Can you give me a little more background? Year models? Bought new or used?
I would assume 4 cylinder.How many miles approximately did each engine see this oil?

I had two Volvo V40's with the 2.0 diesel VEA engine.

I had each car for 12 months doing around 30,000miles in each.

I think the first one had Shell Helix Ultra ECT 0w30 followed by Fuchs Titan GT1 5w40. The second one had Mobil1 ESP 5w30 and Castrol Edge 0w30.

I remember thinking idle seemed quieter and smoother but other than that no difference at all.

I talked to a very helpful Castro oil USA advisor who helped me find the Volvo specified oil here in the States.
My searches came up empty or very expensive. My searches were under Castrol EDGE Professional 0W-20 V.

The associate recommended I use the following : Castrol Edge V 15E6EF using the part number noted. The Professional
is only available at Volvo dealerships. It is the same oil.

Good info and clarification. Thank you.

RM European also has this in stock for $9.30 / Quart. https://www.rmeuropean.com/Products/15E6EF-MFG1135-V6899.aspx

Recent 10K UOA on it: https://www.swedespeed.com/threads/...8-10k-miles-factory-fill.671024/#post-8137027

First time I've read a report of a factory fill having such little wear-in.

Back