BMW-longlife spec

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know about the German Castrol ow-30, but I also saw Castrol ow-40 made in Belgium. Both have the BMW LL spec so owhich one is better suited. SL vs SN.

The 0w-40 is a much more modern formula, like Mobil 1 0w-40, which is also an LL-01 oil, and Pennzoil Ultra 5w-40, which is yet another option.

Originally Posted By: asharris7
I know about the German Castrol ow-30, but I also saw Castrol ow-40 made in Belgium. Both have the BMW LL spec so owhich one is better suited. SL vs SN.

Hard to tell. The 0w-40 was just recently introduced to the US market and we don't have any VOA/UOA data on it yet. Time will tell. Until then, I'd assume both are equally suited for this application.

The SL/SN difference is irrelevant in this case.

Thanks guys, glad the Bmw folks are chiming in. Where did you guys find the PU 5-40? I'm just doing my friends research because he is not on here and has a 525i. Thanks for all the input. I put M1 0-40 in his car last time but if you saw my other post, I scored him some GC for $3/qt. That's going in next. Interested about the PU however..

Are you sure it was Castrol 0w-40? Is it possible that you looked at Castrol Syntec 5w-40 made in Belgium?

If so, I would definitely choose the 0w-30 (German Castol) rather than the Belgian Castrol.

Where did you guys find the PU 5-40?

Mail order only pretty much at this point, Amazon or directly from Pennzoil's website. Nowhere close to $3/qt though.
smile.gif

Thanks guys, glad the Bmw folks are chiming in. Where did you guys find the PU 5-40? I'm just doing my friends research because he is not on here and has a 525i. Thanks for all the input. I put M1 0-40 in his car last time but if you saw my other post, I scored him some GC for $3/qt. That's going in next. Interested about the PU however..

You can order it from Amazon (where I got mine) or directly from the Pennzoil website. I'll be ordering some more
thumbsup2.gif

No such thing as "preferred oil choice" here really. Anything meeting LL-01 spec is going to work just fine.

The reason I started using PU was because SOPUS sent me a bunch of it for free. Going forward though, I'll just use whatever is the least expensive to buy while still meeting the LL-01 spec. Total 9000 5w-40 is another option.

There is no proffered oil. There are some 'paid' ones. Some Factory oil caps under hood will say Castrol, some Mobil 1, depends on the year when bimmer was made.
Easiest to get and one of the best oils would be M1 0w-40. You can get PU 5w-40 from amazon or PU 0w-40, but it only has SRT spec. Also you can get the cheapest oil that meets LL-01 spec on amazon too. That would be Mag1 Euro 5w-40, which is going next in bimmer in my sig.

My personal oil plan for my 2012 335i sedan (N55):
First OCI - 1 year, just over 9k miles this week.
Driving habits will change soon with a move(perhaps 1.5-2x)
Second OCI - Middle November 2013, BMW 5w30 LL01 (Free 7-8 quarts as part of closing the deal on the car).
Third OCI - May 2014 by BMW dealer.
Fourth OCI - November 2014. Cheapest LL01 available, most likely Walmart M1 0w40 jug and singles unless I buddy up with new local dealer.

I have less qualms of switching oil brands each OCI than I do with potential sludge if I go with the annual changes offered for free by BMW. I am on the fence about keeping this car. I am not historically loyal to cars, but I treat them like I'll own them forever.

QP- I tend to change out cars for the "latest and greatest" on a regular basis, as there always seems to be something better... It is at the point now where the car can't really be used to its full potential on public roads and the N55 has no currently known outstanding issues. This mitigates the craving to a certain extent.

Perhaps the only (minor) issues would be an air conditioner that seems to struggle in the Texas summer heat in a black on black on black car and some minor electrical behavior issues that I attributed to getting an early production car. While the steering is light, it is direct and I can feel the the road if I pay attention closely. It makes a great family car and is a dream on the highway, GT style. Some minor drawbacks of buying the car off the lot means not the exact options or color desired, but I got a pretty good deal on the price that no other dealer around could approach by forgoing a factory order that probably would have meant waiting for the '13 model year last summer.

Ironically, the car also has options that I never thought I would want, but add a lot of value to us, like the rear window shades. Our daughter doesn't cook so much in the back and it makes the tint look darker without compromising night time driving.

In all, it isn't a matter of not liking it but whether it proves to be fully reliable and keeps us in love with it when the new M3 or CLA AMG come streaking to the market. I would say the biggest problem is that we only have one right now and have to take turns driving it.

I contacted BMWNA recently about oils for my 135i. I was going to change the oil at 500 miles to clear out any metal frags from the initial breakin.

I was going to use Pennzoil Ultra Euro 5W-40. So I contacted them to see what would be the verdict. I read the approved oil list in the BMW website as the PU euro 5W-30 is only available in 55gal drums.

Here is the response I got.

Dear Mr. Quintana:

Thank you for contacting BMW of North America, LLC regarding oil for your 2013 BMW 135is. Congratulations on your new vehicle!

BMW recommends using BMW Long-Life High Performance Fully-Synthetic 5w-30 oil. This oil can be obtained at the parts department at your local BMW center. You may also add Castrol Fully Synthetic 5w-30 oil. We do not recommend 5w-40 oil. Should you need it, you will find a complete listing of authorized centers, categorized by name, state, or ZIP Code, on our website at www.bmwusa.com.

The BMW Customer Relations and Services Department is available Monday through Friday from 9:00 A.M. to 9:00 P.M., Eastern Time. You can reach us at 1-800-831-1117.

Sincerely,

Nichole Colburn
Customer Relations and Services
Representative

There was a time a few years ago that they recommended M1 5w-30 when it was neither ACEA A3 or BMW LL01 approved.

I wouldn't rely on anything BMW NA says about oil via email or phone, but instead I'd look at the LL-01 approval list.

Agreed. LL-01 approval list is the way to go. I personally use M1 0w40 in my N54 however the Castrol 0w40 is appealing since it can be found cheaper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back