Ford oil specs of WSS-M2C-947B1

Newbie here.
I got a question for oil geeks.

I've done some research. Ford's oil specs of WSS-M2C-945A/B1 are for 5W-20 oil. Ford's oil specs of WSS-M2C-947A/B1 are for OW-20 oil.
You can Google up the engineering documents for those specs. 2 Separate different sources list the WSS-M2C-947A/B1 as outdated and both were superseded by the WSS-M2C-945A/B1 specifications.
In the past I've seen Mobil1 OW-20 jugs displaying the WSS-M2C-945B1 spec.
If the WSS-M2C-947A/B1 specs both got superseded why then is it used everywhere? Ford just now seems to be finally updating owners manuals approving OW-20 oil where a 5W-20 is the normal. Suggesting it's use in extreme cold weather for start up.

From what I see the spec for WSS-M2C-945A/B1 for 5W-20 oil are old also and just recently replaced by WSS-M2C-960A1. WSS M2C-962A1 for OW-20 oils.

The way I read it , if the 947A1/B1 specs were superseded then any OW-20 oil that met the 947A/B1 specs is completely acceptable for 5W-20 specs.

I've owned multiple Fords. Newest in the stable is a 2020 Ford Ecosport. Been using OW-20 for years in all of them including the newest vehicle.

I have two other vehicles in the fleet also one of them is a Nissan Altima the other one is a Subaru Forester. Both of those vehicles spec 0W-20 oil.

Newbie here.
I got a question for oil geeks.

I've done some research. Ford's oil specs of WSS-M2C-945A/B1 are for 5W-20 oil. Ford's oil specs of WSS-M2C-947A/B1 are for OW-20 oil.
You can Google up the engineering documents for those specs. 2 Separate different sources list the WSS-M2C-947A/B1 as outdated and both were superseded by the WSS-M2C-945A/B1 specifications.
In the past I've seen Mobil1 OW-20 jugs displaying the WSS-M2C-945B1 spec.
If the WSS-M2C-947A/B1 specs both got superseded why then is it used everywhere? Ford just now seems to be finally updating owners manuals approving OW-20 oil where a 5W-20 is the normal. Suggesting it's use in extreme cold weather for start up.

From what I see the spec for WSS-M2C-945A/B1 for 5W-20 oil are old also and just recently replaced by WSS-M2C-960A1. WSS M2C-962A1 for OW-20 oils.

The way I read it , if the 947A1/B1 specs were superseded then any OW-20 oil that met the 947A/B1 specs is completely acceptable for 5W-20 specs.

I've owned multiple Fords. Newest in the stable is a 2020 Ford Ecosport. Been using OW-20 for years in all of them including the newest vehicle.

I have two other vehicles in the fleet also one of them is a Nissan Altima the other one is a Subaru Forester. Both of those vehicles spec 0W-20 oil.
Forgive me if I missed something, but I don't see a question. What is it you are trying to find out?

I use 0W20 in my 2006 Focus year round. Why not use it? It is the same price and is usually a better performing oil. I have 245k on it and it is still on the full mark when I change oil at 10K miles.

WSS-M2C-96xA1 is Ford's newest series of specs which effectively are equivalent to API SP.

0w-20 and 5w-20 can effectively be interchanged and SOPUS even advertises this now on 0w-20 Pennzoil Platinum. They are virtually identical until far below freezing.

My question was that it appears to me that the older Ford specs of 947A/B1 for OW-20 seem to have been superseded long ago by the 5W-20 spec of 945A/B1.
Why? It's 2 different oil viscosities.
Now the Ford 945A/B1 specs seem to be superseded with the new 960/961/962 specs for the appropriate viscosity.

It just seems that every oil jug for 0W-20 displays the Ford 947 specs. Ford it seems just now updating owners manuals to allow OW-20 oil use yet it seems to be an old spec superseded by the 945 specs.
So why even print both specs?

Also I prefer to use the 0W20. I agree I think OW-20 and 5W-20 can be used interchangeably.
Why not use it? Maybe 5W-20 is cheaper because you can still get it in a conventional dyno oil. Where all 0W-20 oil are at a minimum synthetic blends.

I need to get oil right now. I know that new oil specs of SP are out. Over the last year or so I have seen old jugs of oil been sold off for cheap to reduce inventory to make way for the new labeling.
Most of your better quality oils of full synthetic were unchanged to meet the new specs.

Right this minute Walmart has Castrol edge in 0W-20 in 5-quart jugs. The Amazon and Walmart prices are identical.
I'm finding single jugs for 24.77. however they have 3 packs of the 5 quart jugs for 58.50. that comes the $19.50 for a 5 quart of of OW-20 Castrol Edge. I believe the price is what it is because it's old inventory with jugs that are still printed with the SN API spec.

Last edited:
You can use 0W-20 oil across all ranges of temperatures. Ford simply recommends that if it's below -20 they prefer you to use OW-20. I agree in normal temperatures and normal conditions there's probably zero advantage to using a 0W-20 oil. I think the reason Ford has never spec it as standard is because the trying to throw you a bone and save you a few bucks. A quality conventional oil in 5W-20 meets most of Ford specs.

My question was that it appears to me that the older Ford specs of 947A/B1 for OW-20 seem to have been superseded long ago by the 5W-20 spec of 945A/B1.
Why? It's 2 different oil viscosities.
Now the Ford 945A/B1 specs seem to be superseded with the new 960/961/962 specs for the appropriate viscosity.

It just seems that every oil jug for 0W-20 displays the Ford 947 specs. Ford it seems just now updating owners manuals to allow OW-20 oil use yet it seems to be an old spec superseded by the 945 specs.
So why even print both specs?

Also I prefer to use the 0W20. I agree I think OW-20 and 5W-20 can be used interchangeably.
Why not use it? Maybe 5W-20 is cheaper because you can still get it in a conventional dyno oil. Where all 0W-20 oil are at a minimum synthetic blends.

I need to get oil right now. I know that new oil specs of SP are out. Over the last year or so I have seen old jugs of oil been sold off for cheap to reduce inventory to make way for the new labeling.
Most of your better quality oils of full synthetic were unchanged to meet the new specs.

Right this minute Walmart has Castrol edge in 0W-20 in 5-quart jugs. The Amazon and Walmart prices are identical.
I'm finding single jugs for 24.77. however they have 3 packs of the 5 quart jugs for 73.50. that comes the $19.50 for a 5 quart of of OW-20 Castrol Edge. I believe the price is what it is because it's old inventory with jugs that are still printed with the SN API spec.
Just pick any 5w20 or 0w20 oil that has the ford approval and use it.
Brand does not matter (Valvoline, Castrol, Pennzoil, Mobil 1, Supertech).

I use 0W20 in my 2006 Focus year round. Why not use it? It is the same price and is usually a better performing oil. I have 245k on it and it is still on the full mark when I change oil at 10K miles.
Agree 100%. Whjy not use it. OW-20 flows easier and quicker than 5W-20 at startup. At normal temperatures they are virtually the same. When I go buy a jug of oil they are all the same price regardless of viscosity.

Easier how? quicker?
OW-20 is thinner than 5W-20 when at ambient temperature. Going to flow faster through the engine at start up. The difference might be negligible and you would need a laboratory to prove the difference.

OW-20 is thinner than 5W-20 when at ambient temperature. Going to flow faster through the engine at start up. The difference might be negligible and you would need a laboratory to prove the difference.

Oil pumps are positive displacement...

And besides what Overkill posted, 0W-20 is not necessarily thinner than 5W-20, it could very well be thicker. What you said just contradicts what you said before, which is it?

Another newbie promoting misconceptions. I wondered if this was the point of your thread.

Back