BMW LL-01 avaliable again locally.

Interesting. Does he same happen for non turbo application/direct injection applications?

No, at least in my naturally aspirated VW VR6. Ran for 10k OCI's twice, no issues, UOA'd once viscosity was in mid 11's at 10k with a remaining TBN of 3.4 IIRC.

I am running the Mobil made OEM VW 504 0w30 now, I think the Castrol might have been a gnat hair quieter but they are really close.

No, at least in my naturally aspirated VW VR6. Ran for 10k OCI's twice, no issues, UOA'd once viscosity was in mid 11's at 10k with a remaining TBN of 3.4 IIRC.

I am running the Mobil made OEM VW 504 0w30 now, I think the Castrol might have been a gnat hair quieter but they are really close.
Castrol 0W30 and 0W40 were always quieter in my applications compared to Mobil1. Even 5W40 until it would develop ticking around 4k in B5.5 1.8T Passat. I ran 0W30 in that engine, and in all applications, Castrol 0W30 was smoothest. But, Mobil1 never returned bad UOA. Always very stout.

Ok thanks for advise.
I was going to return the 5w 40 for 0w 40 but lost receipt. I will just run it for 6k then go back to 0w 40 castrol.

Well there is no next time getting rid of car. Trans problems

Back