BMW Drops OCI to 10,000 miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: m6pwr
Hi edyvw - Never thought of sulfur, but that may be part of it. And I have to say I agree with your comments about the roads here - - pretty rank. I really enjoyed watching the Tour de France because I couldn't help noticing the smooth roads. I suspect someone may say that is because they were specially prepped for the race, but I think not. I've driven some of those roads in the south of France and they were just like in the Tour. In the Pyrenees they virtually reconstruct and repave the roads each Spring. Smooth as a billiard table. But that's what you get when you pay taxes.

Yah, taxes+different way of building roads. For example in Germany (and everyone in Europe copies that) foundations on autobhans are 27feet deep, in the States it is 13 feet. We use concret a lot, in Europe it is asphalt. Concrete lasts longer, but is not very friendly to the cars, and not really high speed friendly.
As you said, people pay taxes. I watched once on Discovery or NGO, and Germany spend around 700,000 per mile on maintenance of their authobahns.
Same goes to local roads.
However, when it comes to CA, I can say for sure that Alabama (lived there 8 years) has better roads then CA! Now that is really a shame!

Originally Posted By: edyvw
As you said, people pay taxes. I watched once on Discovery or NGO, and Germany spend around 700,000 per mile on maintenance of their authobahns.

Obviously, geology and geography are important. Here, they try to spend around $1 million per km to build it, which is pretty cheap compared to the German maintenance you quote. However, this jurisdiction has many, many miles of roads for the population, and our geology sucks, plainly.

Originally Posted By: Garak

Obviously, geology and geography are important. Here, they try to spend around $1 million per km to build it, which is pretty cheap compared to the German maintenance you quote. However, this jurisdiction has many, many miles of roads for the population, and our geology sucks, plainly.

There are many obstacles in Germany too, especially area around Berlin and generally East Germany (very soft soil).
But there is just generally problem with the way they building and maintain roads, at least in CA. I was paying attention to this, and just cannot wrap my mind around it. Half finished work, and then even when they pave it is uneaven.
$1 mil per km is CHEAP. They are building now new interchange in my hometown in Bosnia, and I know they were saying it is around $8-10mil per km.

Last edited:
I wonder if BMW tracks the avg mph of their fleets and a reduced avg mph was also a factor. Perhaps BMW is going to up the injection pressure on their gassers as well. Slow avg speed=more idling and more fuel dilution. BMW already accounts for 30 ppm sulphur US gas by specifying LL01. Maybe it's as simple as wanting to switch gassers to LL04?

There are many obstacles in Germany too, especially area around Berlin and generally East Germany (very soft soil).
But there is just generally problem with the way they building and maintain roads, at least in CA. I was paying attention to this, and just cannot wrap my mind around it. Half finished work, and then even when they pave it is uneaven.
$1 mil per km is CHEAP. They are building now new interchange in my hometown in Bosnia, and I know they were saying it is around $8-10mil per km.

The national fuel tax hasn't been raised in years so inflation has taken a toll.

In this city specifically, we have a lot of clay. I've seen certain streets torn up year after year thanks to the heaving. On the other hand, the bus lanes in this city have done very well over the years, since they used concrete and spent a lot of money to do it right.

And you're right, they don't spend a pile of money per km on roads here. Unfortunately, the kilometres of roadway per capita in Saskatchewan is, I believe, the highest of any jurisdiction in North America. It would be nice if they would spend more, but there's only so much tax I can pay.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
2 years 15,000 miles on the oil makes BMW a favorite for the engine rebuilders.. mmmmmmmmmmmmm we love em

LOL
thumbsup2.gif

In this city specifically, we have a lot of clay. I've seen certain streets torn up year after year thanks to the heaving. On the other hand, the bus lanes in this city have done very well over the years, since they used concrete and spent a lot of money to do it right.

And you're right, they don't spend a pile of money per km on roads here. Unfortunately, the kilometres of roadway per capita in Saskatchewan is, I believe, the highest of any jurisdiction in North America. It would be nice if they would spend more, but there's only so much tax I can pay.
wink.gif

Frost heave is insane here. The frost line is 60". In Ontario its 42". That's a foot and a half more here just to give our esteemed members an idea of just how cold it gets here.
The roads can experience frozen solid ground to depths of up to 10 feet because salt melts the snow and the water keeps pushing the frost deeper and deeper.
If ever there was a use for 0w grade oils this is the place.

OT, but that reminds me of the time I lived up there at College and Wiggins. It was -40 C outside and a lady sheared off the fire hydrant. You can imagine how that went. At the time, I had the propane LTD. I used 5w-30, but that thing definitely needed plugging in under such conditions.

Unfortunately infrastructure in the US is less than "First World" in many parts of the country. And you are right: paying taxes produces results (barring misappropriation of the collected taxes). I love living in a relatively free country but it appears that one of the freedoms we enjoy is the freedom to become second rate in some areas.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: pscholte
Unfortunately infrastructure in the US is less than "First World" in many parts of the country. And you are right: paying taxes produces results (barring misappropriation of the collected taxes). I love living in a relatively free country but it appears that one of the freedoms we enjoy is the freedom to become second rate in some areas.

Well said. I enjoy driving the well kept roads of Europe but over there couldn't afford the car I have (2013 M3). Value Added Tax of around 17% and high test gas at about $11/gal.

Couldn't have said it better.

Well I just moved to Colorado SPrings, and roads are great. CA (I lived in San Diego) has higher taxes, most expensive fuel, an dyet, much [censored] roads!
So, it also depends where the money is spend.
Also, I lived in Alabama, not very famous for high taxes, roads were much better then in CA.

I change My Oil every 3K-5K then when it hit's 15K on the meter I take it tot he dealer for an oil change to reset the light. I seen Horror Story's with people Running 15k Interval's on There BMW. I can't think of 1 BMW Independent shop or even The techs at the dealer telling somebody to run it 15k

I've been doing 10-12k OCI's for the life of my 1998 BMW M3, now with 180k+ miles. UOA's tell me I could comfortably go much longer. Clean as a whistle under the fill cap. Uses oil like most European cars (2 qts during 12k OCI, which replenishes the oil), holds 6qts and has a big oil filter. Silly to waste good oil by changing it early. Sort of like paying for good tires but changing them every 15k miles. No one does that. so why waste good oil? Such behavior is Fiscally and environmentally irresponsible. We all need to think of the bigger picture of living together in this world. We In the US waste much more than our worldy share of natural resources and energy. Our BMW's will die of mechanical issues unrelated to lubrication. It is a shame to waste good oil.

Waste-wise, how does the extra 1.5 gallons of engine oil (that gets recycled) compare to the 500 - 1000 gallons of gas most people burn (and turn into pollutants) each year? Seems like a drop in a bucket to me.

Yah, taxes+different way of building roads. For example in Germany (and everyone in Europe copies that) foundations on autobhans are 27feet deep, in the States it is 13 feet. We use concret a lot, in Europe it is asphalt. Concrete lasts longer, but is not very friendly to the cars, and not really high speed friendly.

27 feet deep foundations beneath the autobahn ?

I would like a link to that.

Originally Posted By: oliveoil
I've been doing 10-12k OCI's for the life of my 1998 BMW M3, now with 180k+ miles. UOA's tell me I could comfortably go much longer. Clean as a whistle under the fill cap. Uses oil like most European cars (2 qts during 12k OCI, which replenishes the oil), holds 6qts and has a big oil filter. Silly to waste good oil by changing it early. Sort of like paying for good tires but changing them every 15k miles. No one does that. so why waste good oil? Such behavior is Fiscally and environmentally irresponsible. We all need to think of the bigger picture of living together in this world. We In the US waste much more than our worldy share of natural resources and energy. Our BMW's will die of mechanical issues unrelated to lubrication. It is a shame to waste good oil.

6 quarts? You sure your dipsticks right? Most E36's hold between 7-8. I ten to put 8 in mine, and thats slightly over full. I drive pretty hard though too, including autox & trackdays, so...

Originally Posted By: KenO
Originally Posted By: oliveoil

6 quarts? You sure your dipsticks right? Most E36's hold between 7-8. I ten to put 8 in mine, and thats slightly over full. I drive pretty hard though too, including autox & trackdays, so...

I thought regardless of driving habits, exceeding max is not good for engine!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back