BMW Diesels

I believe the oil needs to meet a fuel efficency target vs a reference oil (typically a 15w-40), AND have a HTHS viscosity no less than 2.9 or 3.5 respectively. I assume the 12FE needs to achieve a higher fuel effiency.

fuel efficiency is at it's best in elastohydrodynamic region, if you can improve the fuel consumption in boundary lubrication regime, or reduce the time spent in that regime it's possible to get big efficiency gains.

I believe the oil needs to meet a fuel efficency target vs a reference oil (typically a 15w-40), AND have a HTHS viscosity no less than 2.9 or 3.5 respectively. I assume the 12FE needs to achieve a higher fuel effiency.

fuel efficiency is at it's best in elastohydrodynamic region, if you can improve the fuel consumption in boundary lubrication regime, or reduce the time spent in that regime it's possible to get big efficiency gains.
Thanks for informations. :) Tbh my primary goal is to protect the engine as much as I can, and I am not realy into FE topic. 5-10% +- for me personaly doesnt matter.
I just doesnt get it from specification wise. So far, my understanding was that FE specifications are not back compatible with simmilar non FE due to lower hths. Am I missing the point here?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210611-145540_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210611-145540_Chrome.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 9
The biggest noticeable gains I saw were with a tank of biodiesel, compared to regular. Even though it was winter, I was averaging 38 MPGs as long as speed was under 70 MPH. I was using the Euro L 5w30 at the time.

On straight dino diesel, I'm seeing an average of 36 MPG combined, still on LL04 5w30 Motul stuff in my sig. I never saw anything above 34 MPG while using the dealer-supplied 0w30 stuff, which stayed in the crankcase for nearly 10k miles before I switched to the Euro L.

Being a diesel, it's already much more efficient than the comparable size gas-powered SUV, so my main concern is engine longevity and trouble-free emissions, in that order. I'd like to get 200k miles out of it (both SUVs really) before moving on to something else.

Thanks for informations. :) Tbh my primary goal is to protect the engine as much as I can, and I am not realy into FE topic. 5-10% +- for me personaly doesnt matter.
I just doesnt get it from specification wise. So far, my understanding was that FE specifications are not back compatible with simmilar non FE due to lower hths. Am I missing the point here?
mb 229.5 also has a fuel efficiency requirement, and it's a 3.5 hths spec. There's more than 1 way to skin this cat, but hths sure is the easiest way to reduce fuel consumption.

mb 229.5 also has a fuel efficiency requirement, and it's a 3.5 hths spec. There's more than 1 way to skin this cat, but hths sure is the easiest way to reduce fuel consumption.
Thats an excelent point. Thanks for that. 🙂

5-10%? Difference between FE and regular oils is at best 1-2%.

In regards of LL04 vs LL12FE,what I dont get is how oil manage to have both? I have also diesel BMW requiring LL04,and so far I used 5w30, now considering switch to 0w oil.I found Mannol as best buy, and every 0w30 from their product range have 12FE beside LL04 (and of cours other from holly trinity).
I mean I understand that 12FE is requiring HTHS 2,9 or higher, while LL04 3,5 or higher, but so far my understanding was that the pount of FE oil is to have lower HTHS then 3,5..
By logic this oil should have min 3,5 hths, but whats bother me is the 12fe approval/recomendation. I also get the point of "higher", just I dont see how they manage to make FE oil with 3,5 HTHS. Do anybody have idea how is this possible?

It doesn't say "approval" or "Freigabe" anywhere on your attachement. For example VW doesn't allow for more than two approvals for one oil no longer, but there's three. VW changed this somewhat two years ago. I also doubt an oil can have BMW LL-04 and LL-12FE simultaneously. I would pour any oil into my car's engine from a company with such unreliable claims.

5-10%? Difference between FE and regular oils is at best 1-2%.
Pointelss to argue on. Read it: "Even if it is 5-10% fuel saving I wouldnt care about it"
It doesn't say "approval" or "Freigabe" anywhere on your attachement. For example VW doesn't allow for more than two approvals for one oil no longer, but there's three. VW changed this somewhat two years ago. I also doubt an oil can have BMW LL-04 and LL-12FE simultaneously. I would pour any oil into my car's engine from a company with such unreliable claims.
Dont want to defend any company or any product, but so far I am gladly satisfied with Mannol. For me, their oils are best buy considering price and quality ratio, especially for my short OCI (5000km/aprox 3000mls or 6 month).

bmw_120d said:
my short OCI (5000km/aprox 3000mls or 6 month)
Ok, we'll bite: why such a short OCI?

You're wasting perfectly good oil, unless a UOA has shown you the oil is crap after just 3k miles (in which case, you need better oil).

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
Well even the B58 300+ hp I6 BMW gas engines run 20w oils.

Do the BMW dealerships no longer carry LL04 5w30? Btw..5k mile oci is incredibly short on an diesel running ULSD.

Noted, I can go the full 10k if other folks have had good luck there. If the spec is robust!

Originally Posted by kschachn
My local NAPA store sells a variety of Liqui Moly products, one of which has Longlife-04 approval and is reasonably priced. They always try and sell the brand to me when they see my old BMW.

You can ignore the grade designation if it has the approval since it has to meet a minimum HTHS.

Ah good ol NAPA and their German supplies. I had not considered Liqui Moly. If LL-04 / LL-12 FE spec a decent HTHS, I agree.

Originally Posted by Bjornviken
Easy.. Pennzoil with the bmw LL04 approval. And dont worry about the engine, some had the timing chain issue but they have fix it.

Not really worried. I suspect the High Pressure Fuel Pump and maybe the DPF solution are the only worries. I do want to keep this car forever. I doubt we'll see another BMW Wagon in the US. It is a beautiful car, great for winter, and 45 MPG ....
To prevent high pressure fuel pump damage, I would recommend trying not to let the fuel tank get to under 1/4 tank.

Pointelss to argue on. Read it: "Even if it is 5-10% fuel saving I wouldnt care about it"

Dont want to defend any company or any product, but so far I am gladly satisfied with Mannol. For me, their oils are best buy considering price and quality ratio, especially for my short OCI (5000km/aprox 3000mls or 6 month).
It's unlikely that an oil can't have both LL04 and LL12FE+ approvals. The HTHS of LL04 is 3.5 or more and the HTHS of LL12FE+ is under 3.5 (2.9 to <3.5)

Ok, we'll bite: why such a short OCI?

You're wasting perfectly good oil, unless a UOA has shown you the oil is crap after just 3k miles (in which case, you need better oil).
Well, I decided to shortened the CI for fluids in general (transs oil, diff oil, brake fluid etc). Quality of Mannol is nothing better or worser than eg Castrol or Shell, and it costs almost half of the price (ordering it from importer directly), at least here in Europe. Cosidering that the car is 17 years old with 220.000 km (aprox 130-140 k miles) in mint condition right now, just want to keep it like that and enyoj it (sound strange to enjoy driving diesel car, and I never thought befere that I will, but I do,much).
Beside I enjoy working on it, so thats also one big reason, always find something to do around, nowdays mostly preventativ maintanance. :)

Back